cutting dogs tails

Lolas Dad

It is actually called docking. I'm not sure of the exact reasons other than the way it makes the dog look.

BostonBanker

Some dogs are born with no tails - there are quite a few breeds where that is common.

Some breeds, because of the original use of the breed, are traditionally docked.

Some dogs have had tail injuries and had them docked.

While I would never set out to have it done to a dog I was getting (not that you can normally choose - it's done at only a few days old I believe), I do own a docked dog, who I got as an adult. It doesn't seem to affect her in any way, and it is just as expressive and read-able as any full tail I've seen.

darkchild16

We are Home.
it has many reasons. Some dogs tails can break for their job. Pointers and hunting, or with Jack Russels it is so that they can get out of the hole they dug and the handler can grab it if they are in danger. If they are guard dogs so burglars cant grab the tail.

Dekka

Just try me..
If you use the search function here on chaz and look up docking you will find lots of discussion on it

PoodleMommy

Yorkie Love
Both of mine are docked and I have only encountered one problem with it...

Armani's little "nub" can be held as tight as possible to his butt when he even catches a glimpse of a thermometer... this has provided many awkward moments at the vets office.

Lolas Dad

Both of mine are docked and I have only encountered one problem with it...

Armani's little "nub" can be held as tight as possible to his butt when he even catches a glimpse of a thermometer... this has provided many awkward moments at the vets office.
Sounds like he wants a tattoo that says "Exit Only".

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
LMAO PoodleMommy. Cider's the same. Has a clinggeron.. and NEEDS help.. has her tail pressed so tightly to her bum I'm afraid I'll hurt her while helping her with a wet wipe..

showluver

Docking tails has a number of reasons depending on the breed as previously stated. Those same breeds if being shown are required to have a docked tail in many of the standards.

The docking is done at 3-5 days of age. It is not done after that age as at 5 days the nerve endings have not reached the tail yet and bone is not yet formed there.
Seconds after it is done, you would never know by looking at their behavior that anything has happened. They go up and immediately nurse on mom like nothing happened.

dawgplanet

becuase some breeds wont stop chasing their own tails ? or maybe simply cause the dog looks alot better witha docked tail

Members online

No members online now.