Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-02-2009, 01:50 PM
Top Dog

Hey guys, thanks so much for the advice! Jude is actually already doing better after some treating.

As for taking him out and about, I fortunately have a very liberal veterinarian which I know is a rarity sometimes with vets. His suggestion was to take him out as much as he can keep up with, but to avoid pet stores, dog parks, or high traffic dog areas. He also said avoid nose to nose with unknown dogs, but play dates with dogs I trust are vaxed are fine. That's what we're going with We live in the city so if we were overly paranoid we'd spend the first 6 weeks in our loft. We spend a lot of time walking downtown to run quick errands (Austin is very dog friendly so dogs can go in most stores), sitting at coffee shops, and at a swimming area that isn't too busy with dogs. As many people say, more dogs die from being put to sleep for aggression versus parvo or distemper. We are being cautious though, but definitely not living in a bubble. Jude gets his final round next week fortunately then we're good to go!

How would you suggest bonding with him? I work from home so we spend a lot of time together sitting together at the coffee shop, playing in my living room, taking short walks, and laying together watching TV before he falls asleep (Then I bring him to his crate). I do think we bond too through his clicker training- I think him understanding more what I expect of him helps him feel more connected. Can you suggest any other bonding opportunities I'm not doing? We're generally together from 10am until 12pm at night when he goes in his crate, with about 3 hours during the day where he is in his crate while I'm out- so I definitely have a lot of time for bonding! Suggestions would be great. I was very bonded with my previous dog but it was never an active intention, it just happened so I'm not sure! Jude seems bonded to me in some ways, but he has a very independent curious personality and so he's not super clingy. I do like that spirit most of the time! Sometimes I wish he was more of a cuddler, but it's reassuring to hear that he will probably get more cuddly with time.

One funny thing, I've never had a dog before that watches tv! I've always heard about it but never knew they did. We watch dogs 101 together and he sits there cocking his head back and forth and perking his ears up. He usually has about a 10 minute attention span for it which is crazy to me!

Erin Bell
Milford, Ct

mom of Jude Nathaniel, Jonah Samuel, and puppy in the sky- Francis Gabriel
expecting baby girl from Ethiopia in 2015!
my site
Old 10-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Twin 2.0

At this point, time is what is going to bond the two of you. You're doing everything else already.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post
As for taking him out and about, I fortunately have a very liberal veterinarian which I know is a rarity sometimes with vets. His suggestion was to take him out as much as he can keep up with, but to avoid pet stores, dog parks, or high traffic dog areas. He also said avoid nose to nose with unknown dogs, but play dates with dogs I trust are vaxed are fine. That's what we're going with We live in the city so if we were overly paranoid we'd spend the first 6 weeks in our loft. We spend a lot of time walking downtown to run quick errands (Austin is very dog friendly so dogs can go in most stores), sitting at coffee shops, and at a swimming area that isn't too busy with dogs. As many people say, more dogs die from being put to sleep for aggression versus parvo or distemper. We are being cautious though, but definitely not living in a bubble. Jude gets his final round next week fortunately then we're good to go!
This was my thinking as well when Blaze was a pup.

Hehe, that's funny about watching the TV! I would watch sheepdog trial videos on the computer when Blaze was tiny and he would sit in my lap. But he never liked the loud whistles, lol! Now he gets super excited if a whistle is blown. It's so funny.
I also have a Sheepdog training video and when I first watched it, he watched it too. Oh, and if a dog barks on TV he'll go up to the TV and twist his head like he's trying to hear the sound again.

Blaze wasn't a cuddly puppy, either. He's 19 months old now and looooves to cuddle in the morning. He'll jump on my bed and get as close as possible to me for a rub.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post
As for taking him out and about, I fortunately have a very liberal veterinarian which I know is a rarity sometimes with vets. His suggestion was to take him out as much as he can keep up with, but to avoid pet stores, dog parks, or high traffic dog areas. He also said avoid nose to nose with unknown dogs, but play dates with dogs I trust are vaxed are fine. That's what we're going with
Okay that's fine! Just sounded like you were taking him eeeevreywhere.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 10-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for all the advice guys! Just a quick update about Jude. We did a big treating session when holding him earlier and then stopped for a few hours, and just tried it again and he's been already a million times better today. We are going to continue to work on this more with him, but rapid improvement already! He actually seems happy to be held now.

Thanks everyone!

Erin Bell
Milford, Ct

mom of Jude Nathaniel, Jonah Samuel, and puppy in the sky- Francis Gabriel
expecting baby girl from Ethiopia in 2015!
my site
Old 10-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Top Dog

Great news !! Keep it up !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Water Junkie

That's good news!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Top Dog

Yeah, waay wiggly at first, mine is still wiggly. Most dogs I think have a sweet spot where they love to be rubbed. Find that and I suspect Jude will hold still at least for a minute, ok shoot for 30 seconds.

Sounds like this is a bright dog. I find bright dogs are sensitive dogs, meaning not only are they sensitive to themselves but sensitive to others as well. If Jude left the litter at 8 weeks or longer, chances are good he has some social skills with other dogs. They play bite and also communicate with each other how hard they "can" bite.

I use the Yelping method with my dogs and it was the only thing that worked. I yelped like a school girl and found they understood. The rule here is no teeth to skin ever, even if they just brush their teeth next to the skin, the higher your voice inflection the greater the response. Yeah, it's not too manly, but it worked for me. The key here is everyone who get's mouthed has to yelp. Good luck on that one.

You might also consider using an article of your own clothing in Jude's bed. A well worn unwashed pillow case or an old t-shirt. Watch this one though should Jude decides it's a chew toy remove it as those pieces of cloth may get lodged should he ingest it.

I handle any new dog as much as possible and make physical contact even when they are a asleep on the floor or bed. I may simply rest my hand on a foot without wakening him or run my hand up his back and let him lay on it. I place a hand, elbow or arm next to his nose, so he can smell me in a relaxed state. Don't forget ears, tummy, cleaning the eyes and so on. You can't pet or handle him too much or mine would not have any hair left.

You're doing everything right and I suspect one day, you'll be amazed at what Jude will be. Just remember, puppies have small brains and thus less computing power and even a shorter attention span. Puppies are marathon not a sprint, enjoy the journey. I think he's the cutest guy on this board.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Top Dog

Oh, hey Erin, just clicked your site link. I think you were the one who shot a Wedding with Cindy Crabb not too long ago. I knew those pics of Jude weren't taken by an amateur.

Btw this is me. Dallas Wedding Photographer Joseph Lacy - 214-597-6182
Old 10-03-2009, 01:00 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I agree with Grammy. My puppies were done with the biting by the time they were ready to go at 8 weeks. IT is still a pretty darn normal behavior of all puppies ..just one of many issues to be worked with and corrected.

Check out the calming pressure points..including them into your relationship can ease a lot of behaviors.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,