Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Felurian

Quote:
He seems to do this most just after playing with another dog, after an exciting walk, after a play session with me at home, or when I pick him up to take him outside to go to the bathroom (he gets a bit fiesty when he needs to go to the bathroom I think).
That sounds like maybe he's doing it when he's wound up and excited. Tallulah will start getting out of control excited sometimes, and I started distracting her with her favorite toy (an athletic sock with a knot in it). I didn't play with her with it, just let her distract herself and calm down. Now when she's getting too cranked, she goes and gets her sock on her own, lol!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-02-2009, 12:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
He could be entering part of his "brat phase" where he's so busy doing his thing that he gets upset about being picked up, because now he has to do YOUR thing for a while.

I would wait him out. Keep holding him (arms length perhaps if you cherish your jugular vein ) until he settles down. Once he's calm, then put him down. If you put him down while he's biting, he's learning that biting will get him out of situations he doesn't want to be in.

You might also start getting him used to being on his back and calm, like right as he's falling asleep, start giving him a good massage all over, gently roll him on his back and give him a good belly rub and leg massage.

He's an 11 week old Border...he's going to be a holy terror for awhile. Aussies are the same way...little landsharks up until about 7 months, then they go through their "duh, what?" teenage stage...then magically they remember how to follow commands, but they're still PITA's until about 2, then VOILA, they're perfect.

Our guys are lucky they're so **** cute...otherwise I don't think they'd make it past 6 months! LOL!
Lol thank you! I will definitely take those suggestions and put them into practice. I've been moving him to the bathroom and closing the door for 1 minute when he does this. Do you think that's a bad idea? Definitely will stop if so!

Erin Bell
Milford, Ct

mom of Jude Nathaniel, Jonah Samuel, and puppy in the sky- Francis Gabriel
expecting baby girl from Ethiopia in 2015!
my site
Old 10-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Top Dog

A vet visit surely wouldn't hurt, he could even have growing pains of sorts. But he may just not like his freedom cut off, when you hold him he cannot do whatever he wanted to do before. Getting picked up means loss of freedom for him and he doesn't like it. So, instead of going the punishment route which would not make him like getting held anymore (though it may get him to stop the biting behavior he will still not be okay with loosing his freedom) I would randomly pick him up through the day (include times when he is wound up) pop a treat in his mouth and put him down. Do this BEFORE he bites or growls. If he starts growling as you are lifting him then you may just need to start by walking up to him, wrapping hands around him like you are about to pick him up, then give a treat and let go without lifting. This way getting lifted actually becomes something that may lead to good things, not just a loss of freedom. These random quick pick ups will also allow him to be lifted from whatever he was doing and then be returned to his activity, it's like continually calling your dog to you, giving a treat and letting them go again so that they learn coming does not always mean they are going inside/going home. Eventually you'll want to hold him for a longer time than just a quick pick up but work up to that point. When you put him down start a game up or something. Getting picked up should be fun!!

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 10-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post
I'm not saying I would continue to allow it just because he is a male, I'm just saying perhaps that is where it is originating from. Definitely not making excuses to continue allowing that behavior...

I don't think I'm pushing him too much. He does about 2 8 minute clicker sessions per day- one in the early afternoon and one in the evening. Does that sound about right? It seems like a good amount but possibly not. He seems to do this most just after playing with another dog, after an exciting walk, after a play session with me at home, or when I pick him up to take him outside to go to the bathroom (he gets a bit fiesty when he needs to go to the bathroom I think).
No no, I wasn't saying you were making that excuse. You're post didn't come off that way at all. I meant who ever told you that.

I just remember you saying how you'd already started on clicker training on the drive home, now he already knew 15 commands, etc. Maybe you should just take some time to bond? Dunno, I've only had experience with my Border Collie as a pup and I know he didn't know 15 commands when he was Jude's age! We worked on just the basic things like no biting, don't growl at me when I pick you up, being quiet in the kennel, don't chew on shoes/etc. That kind of thing. I don't think we really started working on commands (sit, stay, lie down, etc) till he was around 4ish months. We did work on a "Here" command from day one, and I'm very glad we started early. But those first few weeks, imo, should be about bonding with your new pup and gaining his trust and establishing the basic rules of the house.

I do not agree that Border pups are a holy terror. If you think they are/allow them to be that way, well I'm sorry, you're going to miss out on alot of fun with your pup.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Top Dog

I'm no expert .... I just spent a lot of time with each pup .....and concentrated on the ones who didn't like to be handled and wouldn't relax when put on their backs . Sorry , I don't remember how old he was when you got him .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-02-2009, 01:07 PM
Top Dog

He was 2 days shy of 8 weeks when I got him. On his temperment test, he got a 4 for sensitivity, so I'm not sure if it is that. Hmm...

Thank you guys for the great advice! Will definitely try considering a bunch of it and seeing if any changes help. We are doing pick up and treat right now

Erin Bell
Milford, Ct

mom of Jude Nathaniel, Jonah Samuel, and puppy in the sky- Francis Gabriel
expecting baby girl from Ethiopia in 2015!
my site
Old 10-02-2009, 01:10 PM
ACoops favorite

Sounds like he's being a bratty puppy. :-)

Every time he starts being bitey, I'd redirect him to a chew toy.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Squishy22

Duke (lab/weim pup) would scream like I was killing him when I'd pick him up sometimes and he surely was NOT hurt . He was just VERY uncomfortable with the idea, like hes never been picked up before.

Some puppies are just somethin else!
Old 10-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post
Thank you guys for the great advice! Will definitely try considering a bunch of it and seeing if any changes help. We are doing pick up and treat right now
Also wanted to say, him growling/complaining when you pick him up is very normal for pups. It's just something that you have to work through, and you'll have a stronger bond with Jude because of it.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-02-2009, 01:27 PM
overdogged

steve went through periods when he was a baby where he was just, well, a jerk. he still has moments like that (teenagers. sigh.) but they were more upsetting when he was a baby because he was supposed to be butterflies and rainbows and not snarly puppy.

what you're describing with jude makes me think he's overstimulated and pitching a fit. i agree with zoom- wait him out, be patient, don't react to him reacting, and work on gentle touching and gentle restraint with lots of rewards when he is calm.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?