Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-16-2009, 04:00 PM
Navy Sister

While at a pet store the other day, my husband overheard a teenager saying he would never microchip his dog, because it's mean
knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:50 PM
~Lisa~

Blaze is not. Not for any big reason. Just never have done it. Never really though to much of it.

Marley got done while she was getting spayed last week, cost us 15 bucks I think (then again it was a low cost spay and neuter place here. cost me 100 bucks for a chip, spay and shots lol)

Mike is not for obvious reasons. since he never leaves the house, and well is a turtle lmao
Old 10-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Top Dog

My late Doberman was chipped. My Chi's are not. What do you think about this?

Compulsory dog ID microchips plan - Yet Another National Database of human names and addresses is not acceptable - Spy Blog - SpyBlog.org.uk
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-16-2009, 05:32 PM
overdogged

i have mixed feelings about compulsory chipping. seems like it'd be too easy to hunt down all those vicious pit bull dogs in short order. on the other hand, though, sometimes i think it would be a lovely thing to require that all breeders chip and put their info on the chips so that when their dogs show up in the shelters, they can be held accountable for the dogs that they're pumping out (responsible breeders already jump the second they find out one of their dogs is in a shelter anyway....)
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-16-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm All Ears

Wouldn't do any good here. AC has admitted to not having a scanner and the shelter won't scan anything brought in by AC because AC is 'supposed to do it'. I'm being serious too...
Old 10-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Salty Sea Dog

compulsory chipping is probbaly the most ridiculous proposition ever, especially considering there is no universal chip/scanner and MANY places dont have scanners (or do and dont use them)

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 10-17-2009, 01:39 AM
Top Dog

Our shelter does scan. I also travel with my dogs at times, so like that if they get out in other areas (hasn't happened yet, but always good to be prepared) they have a better chance to get home. And, since I've had dogs who were chipped for years (including my elderly dogs who have since passed on) with no complications, I feel comfortable enough to chip my current dogs. I think it's just something that stacks the odds in our favor of getting our dogs back. (I've yet to ever have a dog run off, but no one really plans for those things)
Old 10-17-2009, 01:48 AM
Top Dog

My dog is chipped. Shelters and vet clinics here scan all dog that come in found or stray. The humane society has a universal ready (and so does the clinic I work at...there was some sort of special deal that if we bought one the HS would get one free or cheap). The scanner we had before wouldn't read the AKC chips and some others.

It is mandatory that pits be chipped here. Voluntary chips also give a $3 discount on the dog license. Seeing as how so many people think my dog is a pit (I don't understand! Just because he has a tail and is white?!), it's probably a good idea to have him chipped just in case. But I got him chipped several months before that was a city ordinance. I don't keep a collar and tags on my dog because it irritate his skin. The changes of him getting out accidentally are very slim, but just in case he does I feel safer with the chip.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:04 AM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyWench View Post
compulsory chipping is probbaly the most ridiculous proposition ever, especially considering there is no universal chip/scanner and MANY places dont have scanners (or do and dont use them)
there are universal scanners, and to be honest, i think it's bogus how many places don't have or don't use scanners. last i knew, shelters were supposed to be in the business of saving animals, and that means doing the simple things that can dramatically increase the odds of getting them home, like freaking scanning animals that come in for microchips.

that totally embodies for me a big part of what is so screwed up about our "shelter" system. we go on and on about how horrible it is that so many dogs are killed in shelters, and yet so many shelters are unwilling to take such utterly basic steps to get dogs home.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-17-2009, 05:49 AM
BusterLove

I know around here, nearly everyone scans. It seems weird they wouldn't. The whole of NSW requires all dogs to be chipped anyway (other than working dogs I think)

I recently heard a story, the RSPCA found a bunch of neglected dogs, when they were rescued and scanned, one still had valid info on it from their previous owners. Turned out teh dog went missing 2 years earlier.

I do have kinda mixed feeling about it, but I'm glad Buster's done, now atleast if he ever goes missing I won't have to have "wish he was chipped" stuck in my head.
I also get him checked every 6 months - a year to make sure it hasn't migrated.