Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-01-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm All Ears

Default How to stop her?

How do I stop Mia from getting on the table? I don't have much room in the apartment to move the chairs away to where she can't use them to climb up. She's figured out how to get up there and every time I turn around she's up there. I correct her, stick her on the ground, turn around and she tries again. Correct her and she tries again. She is very determined...
Old 10-01-2009, 12:43 PM
<----Thanks Allie

what if you put something unpleasant up there for a bit? I know with cats they say to put things like double sided tape....

otherwise I'm not really sure...
Old 10-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Can you put the chairs up on the table, maybe?

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Top Dog

Oh heck, just give in and let her up there :-)
Old 10-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Silence! I ban you!

Electrify the table? (JOKING people! No nasty PM's please).

I agree that if you do something to make it unpleasant that may get her out of the habit. Spook used to pee in the corner of the room and we finally put down aluminum foil over there for a couple of weeks. He hated stepping on it and stopped peeing there even when the foil was gone.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm All Ears

The table is new so I dont' want to scratch it up with the chairs. I did end up moving them away though now I can't get in my kitchen lol. She isnow trying to figure out a new way to get on the table!
Old 10-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Top Dog

Prevention! Try to watch her reeeeeelly carefully and when you see her wheels turning or she goes over near the table, eyeing it like she's tihnking about getting on, distract her. Give her an alternative....something she does know how to do that you can cue her to do and reward. Or if she hasn't learned sit or something else yet, distract her with something else fun to do. Reinforce her for doing something else INSTEAD of getting on the table. This will require a lot of diligence and high level supervision for a while. AND you need to reinforce her with something she reeeeeelly loves, a high value treat and a really super toy or game. But you must prevent this because it's self rewarding for her and the more times she succeeds, the more reinforced this behavior will become and the harder it will be to extinguish it. Another thing...if she is enjoying getting on the table just for the sake of climbing up there, maybe you can find something lower that she still gets to get onto, like a little, low stool. (?) If she is getting on the table because there's food up there, be sure to keep it cleared of stuff when it's not your meal time. Make the table have as little interest as possible to her along with interrupting the behavior. Keep at it, stay with it and in a couple of weeks, this behavior should extinguish as long as you make sure she doesn't "score" if she gets up there. Yeah, move the chairs back too.

(I knew someone who had to move her kitchen table chairs clear into the hall on carpet because her Doxies put their front feet on them, walked them up to the table and climbed up.) LOL. Pretty smart. Or....she was exaggerating.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 10-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Top Dog

My beagle likes to jump up on the coffee table. What I started to do not too long ago is spray her with a water bottle. So far it has worked.

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

Be lucky your dog has to jump to get up there. Daisy is taller than the table and has to actually lean down to steal something. We have the table up against the wall in the dining room and the only spot she can't get is the middle part against the wall.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Top Dog

LOL Dan! That's how Lyric was....not so tall, of course, but he could just reach out that long neck of his and take anything he wanted. But he learned that it wasn't Kosher. Haha.

I don't recommend spraying a pup with water. JMO. No sense making the pup afraid of you. Punishment runs the risk of the dog only behaving in your presence, but if you're not around, he may still engage in it. Dogs have an uncanny ability to associate punishment with their owners. I think making getting on the table never ever pay off for the dog is a better and longer lasting solution.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson