Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawzaddict View Post
Everybody and everything reacts differently to meds so it may work fine, I just have personally NEVER heard of giving prozac to a dog. I am used to clomicalm being the RX

I think clomicalm is only made for animals, but it could be similar to prozac.

I am just iffy on giving human meds without lots of research, and Benadryl does not tire animals out like it does humans The tiring ingredient does not react in a dogs system.
Clomicalm is specifically for animals. When he prescribed it, the vet told me the closest human approximation was Prozac. Since B was only going to be on it for a short period of time, I went with the vet script rather than ask about a human prescription. [Incidentally, however, Bailey is on a different prescription that I get from the drug store (Metronidazole).]

I'm not saying that this vet is the be-all-and-end-all, but I enjoy this blog and found this recent entry interesting -- and on point for this discussion.
Dolittler: Veterinary drugs, their off-label uses...and why some vet drugs cost so much

ETA: a quick Google search suggests that Benedryl has sedative effects in dogs. Apparently nothing takes the edge off of mine other than lots of exercise.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:11 AM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawzaddict View Post
Everybody and everything reacts differently to meds so it may work fine, I just have personally NEVER heard of giving prozac to a dog. I am used to clomicalm being the RX
sure everybody and everything reacts differently, which is why it is so important to have more than one drug option available! not every dog responds well to clomicalm after all. the use of prozac in dogs is fairly well-known and accepted and has been for awhile. they market it specifically for separation anxiety, though that's not its only use.

the drug that is veterinary brand named clomicalm is clomipramine, which is a human drug btw.

Quote:
I think clomicalm is only made for animals, but it could be similar to prozac.

I am just iffy on giving human meds without lots of research, and Benadryl does not tire animals out like it does humans The tiring ingredient does not react in a dogs system.
clomicalm is the veterinary brand. just like reconcile is the veterinary brand name for prozac. both clomipramine and fluoxetine were developed for use in humans and still used in humans today.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 09-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey08 View Post
Clomicalm is specifically for animals. When he prescribed it, the vet told me the closest human approximation was Prozac. Since B was only going to be on it for a short period of time, I went with the vet script rather than ask about a human prescription. [Incidentally, however, Bailey is on a different prescription that I get from the drug store (Metronidazole).]

I'm not saying that this vet is the be-all-and-end-all, but I enjoy this blog and found this recent entry interesting -- and on point for this discussion.
Dolittler: Veterinary drugs, their off-label uses...and why some vet drugs cost so much

ETA: a quick Google search suggests that Benedryl has sedative effects in dogs. Apparently nothing takes the edge off of mine other than lots of exercise.
Interesting, my vet said it does not sedate. My dogs must be like yours, they don't tire out from benadryl LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
sure everybody and everything reacts differently, which is why it is so important to have more than one drug option available! not every dog responds well to clomicalm after all. the use of prozac in dogs is fairly well-known and accepted and has been for awhile. they market it specifically for separation anxiety, though that's not its only use.

the drug that is veterinary brand named clomicalm is clomipramine, which is a human drug btw.

clomicalm is the veterinary brand. just like reconcile is the veterinary brand name for prozac. both clomipramine and fluoxetine were developed for use in humans and still used in humans today.
TY for the info, I do not take meds other than allergy meds so I have never heard of clomipramine. You learn something new everyday
Old 09-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Top Dog

My 9.5 year old ESS started taking fluoxetine (Prozac) a couple months ago and I love the results.

(from my blog a week or so ago)
A short list of things we've been able to do since being on Fluoxetine that I A)wouldn't have let happen or B)would have ended very poorly, before Fluoxetine.

1. Tonight she HUNTED with another dog!!!!!! *jaw hit the floor... NO scuffles, and it was an INTACT BITCH*
2. At both trials the last two weekends, she has MET other dogs without showing signs of being uncomfortable.
3. I have had Rascal and Rasza upstairs without her muzzled three days in a row (under close supervision of course, but she's been relaxed while not under direct cue).
4. She has solicited attention quite a bit, but hasn't been pushy or overly possessive. A hard stare but no lift lip or growl. If I stop petting her she'll move around with the toy in her mouth and not continue to guard me.

We didn't see results immediately. It took about 4-5 weeks to see anything. She's much more manageable now, and much more relaxed.
Puzzle Piece Gabby 8 years
Old 10-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Top Dog

I have an update on Zoe. We have had her on prozac (low dose) for 6 days now. The only negative side effect is she seems to have less appetite. We have been playing the "storm" cd on very, very low, keeping it on continuous loop. She doesn't seem to notice it much, which I think is good. In a few days we'll make it a bit louder. On walks, we've been careful not to react when she jumps to a noise. We just look the other way, or try to distract her (squirrels are good for that).

She is doing very well- in the morning she is nervous and doesn't seem thrilled to go out, but within minutes she's ok. If we run into one of her dog friends, she gets very happy and plays like she used to.

My goal is to get her off the prozac sooner than later. It's only been 6 days, but if she keeps doing this well two weeks from now I'm going to call the vet for advice on how to wean her off of them. The vet had said to give her half a pill for a week, then a quarter or so for a week then she should be ok. I pray when we do that she will continue to improve, because I don't want to have to keep her on the drugs. They are $70 a month, by the way (wow!)

I just wanted to give an update, and I really appreciate all your help and concern!

Laura
Old 10-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Big Dog

Wow thats amazing! Also I did not realize this was a temporary adjustment, I thought she was going to stay on prozac that is why I was concerned. The other steps you are taking as well is awesome, would have never thought of all of that.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Top Dog

Pawz- we talked to two trainers and our vet, so didn't come up with this program on our own. It does seem to be working, but I know we have to be patient.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Top Dog

At $70 a month I would have had the vet call my doctor and have the script written in my name. When I had insurance meds were a $10 co-pay.

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 10-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Active Pup

Wonder if the side effects are the same as for a human..? I imagine something tramatic happened to the dog at a young age, dont ya think? I have never heard of this and am going to go do more research. im interesetd in side effects ... eeeeek!

Last edited by eddieq; 10-05-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:59 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

I have my vet right out a prescription and I pick it up at walmart. I think prozac is on the four dollar list. so thats just $4 a month for your meds. However most vets do NOT do that. they like money too much....