Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-26-2009, 09:17 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

I spend about $12 a month, or every month and a half. but i have a vet who is also a friend, so she lets me have it at her cost.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Top Dog

Thanks so much for all the advice and comments. I was really on the fence until this morning. I took Zoe on an hour walk- it's a very calm, sunny morning here. She was nervous the entire time- she never relaxed. Noises that used to never affect her (we live near a golf course, and she jumped when someone hit a ball) and just being "out" in general seemed to terrify her. It just made me want to cry- this is really turned into a full blown phobia.

I'm going to try the prozac, but I also bought a desensitization tape of thunder storms, and I have been corresponding with a local trainer who thinks she can also help. Hopefully we can get Zoe feeling confident and happy again.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:08 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

sorry to hear about her phobia.
but good luck with the meds and training!
Old 09-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Big Dog

I would try other options before going for a med that people are given as well. Ever talked to someone who took prozac? lol Does your vet have any other suggestions for you?
Old 09-27-2009, 01:13 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawzaddict View Post
I would try other options before going for a med that people are given as well. Ever talked to someone who took prozac? lol Does your vet have any other suggestions for you?
i took it. it worked great for my anxiety. it gave me dry mouth for awhile but that resolved.

i'm not sure why it matters that people are given the same drug (though there is a veterinary version of it called reconcile that's far more expensive). there's a ton of crossover between human and veterinary medicine from anesthetics to pain meds to antibiotics to heart medications and on and on.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 09-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Top Dog

I put Bailey on Clomicalm for a couple of months for anxiety having to do with a move we were making. It's my understanding that Clomicalm is very similar to human Prozac.

He experienced no side effects. In fact, he was on that and Benedryl at the time, and was still full of energy!

If you do put your dog on it, please follow the vet's advice about starting and stopping the medication. Prozac should *not* be stopped cold turkey.

I hope it helps your furry friend!
Old 09-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Top Dog

Thanks all. When the mediciation comes in and I go to pick it up, I'll have a consulation with the vet.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
i took it. it worked great for my anxiety. it gave me dry mouth for awhile but that resolved.

i'm not sure why it matters that people are given the same drug (though there is a veterinary version of it called reconcile that's far more expensive). there's a ton of crossover between human and veterinary medicine from anesthetics to pain meds to antibiotics to heart medications and on and on.
Everybody and everything reacts differently to meds so it may work fine, I just have personally NEVER heard of giving prozac to a dog. I am used to clomicalm being the RX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey08 View Post
I put Bailey on Clomicalm for a couple of months for anxiety having to do with a move we were making. It's my understanding that Clomicalm is very similar to human Prozac.

He experienced no side effects. In fact, he was on that and Benedryl at the time, and was still full of energy!

If you do put your dog on it, please follow the vet's advice about starting and stopping the medication. Prozac should *not* be stopped cold turkey.

I hope it helps your furry friend!
I think clomicalm is only made for animals, but it could be similar to prozac.

I am just iffy on giving human meds without lots of research, and Benadryl does not tire animals out like it does humans The tiring ingredient does not react in a dogs system.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:12 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

Prozac is approved for use in dogs. Elavil is not. I have never heard of Clomicalm myself.
also they have use Xanax now in dogs. I do not think its approved for canine use either.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:52 PM
Top Dog

I would also try all other options before using drugs.

For one thing, if she's that nervous being outside, an hour long walk is way too much for her to be able to handle. There are times when "flooding" (putting the animal in the situation that scares them until they get used to it) works, but it is an extremely risky training method for dogs because more often than not it makes the phobia much worse.

Since this is a behaviorial problem and not a health problem, you should talk to a behaviorist before turning to medicine to fix the problem. Of course that's not to say that behavior problems aren't sometimes caused by medical problems, so a thorough check-up is definately a good idea when odd behavior problems crop up suddenly. But assuming she's healthy now, I'd work with a behaviorist before turning to meds to solve the problem.