Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsarebetter View Post
I know its been said a few times,but i will say it again.

if your dogs are on heartworm preventative like they should be (unless you do not have mosquitoes) they should never have worms OTHER than tape worms. Heartworm meds do not do tape worms, it needs a special wormer.

I get it. I've quoted you so maybe they'll read it again.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:30 PM
Squishy22

I've taken truffles to the vet many times (for vaccines & flea meds) and the vet has never mentioned heart worm preventative. I've never used it. None of my family has ever used it.

My vet has gone over many things and she never once brought up heart worm. Unusual or what? She went over MANY things, but not that.

After worming my puppies, I've also never had a problem with them getting it again as adults and my family has owned many many dogs. Never happened before. Never seen a case of heart worm either.

I will be sure to ask the vet about heart worm. It irritates me that my vet made no mention of this and we DO have mosquitoes... just like any other state does.

Dont dogs contract heart worm from drinking contaminated water or from getting bitten?
Old 09-25-2009, 08:40 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
Good breeders don;t have wormy pup !
Because good breeders deworm their pups before the new owner gets them.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:43 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

one bite for a mosquito is all it takes to get heartworm. all dogs should be on it and NEVER miss a dose unless you decide to stop for the winter months. here in KY we have to use it year around because it does not get cold enough.

i would be thinking about a new vet if he has never said anything to you about heartworm preventive.
heartworm is HELL to treat. Arsenic based injections, etc
Old 09-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Squishy22

Oh, wow. Thanks for letting me know. I think thats a red flag to get rid of my vet. Thankfully its the vet in WA state. I need to find a different vet now since our move.

It does get cold here. So I've been told. Lots of snow. Yay.... not!
Old 09-25-2009, 09:21 PM
Salty Sea Dog

roundworms can be encapsulated in adult dogs, in which they lay completly dormant, if there dormant they dont shed in feaces and therefore dont show up on fecal exams, this is how most newborn pups get them, the hromon change about 3 weeks before the pups birth "wakes up" the "hibernating" roundworms which are then transfered to the fetus (or thrrough mothers milk)
round worm is also found in feaces (highly common in cat poop), can lay dormant in the dirt, (and those dormant in the dirst can be ingested very simply if your dog is a sniffer or digger!) there also present in beetles grasshoppers, roaches, mice, even earth worms ect (chis tend to be bug eaters)

"Even if the mother tests negative
for roundworm the pups may still be infected because the
larvae of roundworms will encyst in the muscle tissues and
the normal tests that test for adult roundworms will not
pick up the larvae." is a direct quote from my vet (who is anti chemicals as much as possible)

roundworm eggs are also incredibly hardy, they can last YEARS without a host!

heck a dog can even get roundworm from PLAYING with other dogs, the other dog might have them and the eggs and larvea can be carried in the fur!
humans can get roundworm so keep the kids away form his poop, and make sure to be extra diligent about cleaning up the yard, oh and standing water is also a huge source of roundworm.

with skeeters in the area you realy should be on heartworm prevent, BUT with a dog as small as truffles, that may be the reason, chis are prone to ivermectin reaction, and i belive heartguard reccomends for dogs 5lbs and over...

Interceptor, Revolution, Sentinal, and Advantage would be worth looking into. i use inteceptor with the cresties as they are extreemly sensitive to ivermectin.
That being said, only heartguard and iverheart have pyrantel in them, which is the general dewormer, so if you decide to go with a different brand you will need a seperate dewormer.

if its is roundworm a good pyrantel payomate dewormer will work, but calling your vet for dose would be important because truffels is so small, youll also want to repeat the deworming a few times to get them all...

if theres fleas though it might be worth getting a full fecal done as a just in case, fleas are notorious for carrying tape (which needs a different dewormer and otc dont work well against tapeworm) tape can also take awhile to show, so it might be best to treat for both at the same time.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 09-25-2009, 09:29 PM
Top Dog

My pups were on heart worm meds before they went home. Yes , things have changed ...I only did everything available for my litters availabe at that time . During my first breeding years , no one even knew of heart worm !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Squishy22

Thanks for the info foxy. Very interesting.

Truffles is normally on revolution. I LOVE that stuff. I had a very hard time finding a vet who carries it here where I live. Luckily I found one who does just the other day.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:59 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

the back of my intercepter box says it is also a general wormer
Old 09-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Salty Sea Dog

while it is "officially" a general wormer, ive found the only thing effective, in this area at least, is pyrantel... it may be good against hook, but its useless against round in this area.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets