Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
You can disagree all you want BUT if you were breeding in this day and age EVERY Vet would recommend that you take a preventive approach and deworm pups starting at 14 days. They know for a fact that round worms are transferred from the mother to the pups and why would anyone take the risk of their litters health by not doing as recommended by the latest research??? To do otherwise imo, is foolish. I know for a fact that my dogs eat things, therefore they are dewormed and since it isn't recommended to deworm a bitch with one month of breeding we have to assume that she can pass them to her pups. Therefore deworming the pups as a preventive.

It is like raising a baby (human) years ago, people use to put babies to bed with bottles..............now we know just how much damage that can do to the teeth. So people are advise not to do it.

Just because something was routine, acceptable and recommended 30 plus years ago, doesn't mean it applies today.

And if you didn't have round worms,...................you got lucky. Just the same as if you put your babies to bed and it didn't rot their teeth.............you got lucky.

Try Googling it..........or better yet, why not call every vet in the book in your area and get their opinion.

Here just one source:

Roundworms in Dogs & Puppies
Wow you seem angry!!

Just wanted to say I am young & up to date. I don't breed so i can't comment on that But as a pet owner I don't feel the need to pump my dog with chemical's Not every dog get's worm's & if they do I would re-evaluate where i am bringing my dog Or in Truffles mom case Take care of the flea's or whatever caused the worm's.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Squishy22

Apparently they are round worms, so the fleas did not cause it.

Round worms normally come from the dirt when adult dogs get them. I dont know about you, but my dogs come into contact with dirt since I take them to go potty in the grass.

I'd rather worm my dogs yearly to make sure. Better to be safe than sorry. Especially after seeing what happened to my moms dog.

Have them tested every year, at least.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishy22 View Post
Apparently they are round worms, so the fleas did not cause it.

Round worms normally come from the dirt when adult dogs get them. I dont know about you, but my dogs come into contact with dirt since I take them to go potty in the grass.

I'd rather worm my dogs yearly to make sure. Better to be safe than sorry. Especially after seeing what happened to my moms dog.

Have them tested every year, at least.
Yes my dog's are dog's so they do play in the yard. I will still keep them chemical free & just keep testing every year.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pups622 View Post
Wow you seem angry!!

Just wanted to say I am young & up to date. I don't breed so i can't comment on that But as a pet owner I don't feel the need to pump my dog with chemical's Not every dog get's worm's & if they do I would re-evaluate where i am bringing my dog Or in Truffles mom case Take care of the flea's or whatever caused the worm's.
Not angry, but certainly annoyed. The whole point was that Grammy is basing her opinions on being a breeder ages ago. Somethings don't change when breeding dogs, but to disregard and advise someone (anyone) on health issues based on methods/theories used a long time ago annoys me.

I also don't put chemicals into my dogs and avoid it if possible..........but there are somethings that it is wise to use modern research, methods and treatments.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Roundworms are only given through the milk if the mother has them. Else wise they aren't transferred. If the mother is clear, the pups will likely be cleared as well.

They also shed eggs pretty consistently, so if there's nothing in the fecal sample and it wasn't over looked, then it's likely the dog doesn't have roundworms (given proper prepatent periods and the like).

Additionally, most heart worm preventatives have dewormers in them as well, which are very effective. Very rarely do we see a dog who's on a heart worm preventative that has worms unless it's straight up ivermectin or something.

Quote:
most likely, its a couple of syringes filled with nasty tasting creamy stuff that you give once a day for 3 days, then the next set of 3 in a week, or something like that to kill off the whole cycle of them gently but effectively
That thick creamy stuff tastes like bananas though! It's delicious. At least the Strongid stuff is. Panacur, maybe not so much.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 09-25-2009, 05:13 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
roundworms look like spaghetti noodles. If they were short little things, it's likely tapeworms.
I've always been told ; roundworm looks like spaghetti, tapeworm looks like rice. Gross! But not easy to forget LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Not angry, but certainly annoyed. The whole point was that Grammy is basing her opinions on being a breeder ages ago. Somethings don't change when breeding dogs, but to disregard and advise someone (anyone) on health issues based on methods/theories used a long time ago annoys me.
We all base our opinions based on our own experiences. I like seeing posts of how things used to be, and how they are now. I like to see facts of why we don't do things that way anymore. Or maybe why we should still. Educating is awesome. But I do think your post came off a little rude. We certainly don't have to agree with everybody - grammy's entitled to her opinion, and you yours. There is no reason to be angry or annoyed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassOnion View Post
Roundworms are only given through the milk if the mother has them. Else wise they aren't transferred. If the mother is clear, the pups will likely be cleared as well.

They also shed eggs pretty consistently, so if there's nothing in the fecal sample and it wasn't over looked, then it's likely the dog doesn't have roundworms (given proper prepatent periods and the like).

Additionally, most heart worm preventatives have dewormers in them as well, which are very effective. Very rarely do we see a dog who's on a heart worm preventative that has worms unless it's straight up ivermectin or something.

That thick creamy stuff tastes like bananas though! It's delicious. At least the Strongid stuff is. Panacur, maybe not so much.
I may be misunderstanding - but roundworms are only transfered through a mothers milk? So adult dogs that have them never got rid of them?

It may be a stupid question, but I rarely ever come into a worm problem, so I don't know

OP - there are HW preventatives that are supposed to prevent other kind of worms as well. (Before I switched to revolution) My vet suggested Interceptor for my crew, especially since they *may* be exposed with the rescues, or events where a lot of dogs are at.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 09-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Squishy22

Every puppy I've ever had, had worms. The only one that did not have worms when I got him was truffles. All others were the products accidental litters or bybs.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Top Dog

Good breeders don;t have wormy pup !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
I may be misunderstanding - but roundworms are only transfered through a mothers milk? So adult dogs that have them never got rid of them?
No, it's just one of the ways dogs can get roundworms.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:53 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

I know its been said a few times,but i will say it again.

if your dogs are on heartworm preventative like they should be (unless you do not have mosquitoes) they should never have worms OTHER than tape worms. Heartworm meds do not do tape worms, it needs a special wormer.