Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-25-2009, 07:29 PM
elegy's Avatar
elegy elegy is offline
overdogged
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,658
Default

well, any size dog can have anesthetic complications. at 6 pounds, she's really not *that* small. there'd be more risk if she develops a pyometra and is sick when she goes to surgery, instead of going now when she's relatively healthy.
__________________
ARCHX Luce CD CD-H RA RL3 RLV RL2X RL1X CGC TT
Mushroom Couch-holder-downer EX
Flyball Ninja Steve RA RL1 CL1-R CL1-F FMCh
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Boemy's Avatar
Boemy Boemy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,481
Default

Poor dog! I'm sending good vibes for you and her.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-29-2009, 02:39 PM
bandaide's Avatar
bandaide bandaide is offline
Not So Proper
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 104
Default

Good news! The bump has really reduced in size and the vet said that an infection is the most likely cause, because if it was a tumor it would have increased in size. (Now I feel a little ridiculous for freaking out.) We are finishing her meds and we are going to go back to the vet to get it checked on again.

My question now is should I go ahead and get her spayed? She is 6 years old, and if what I read is right, spaying her now won't reduce her risk for mammary tumors but it will obviously reduce her risk for pyometra. Is spaying her now "worth it"? Will she benefit?
__________________


Prim - Shalako's Primrose of Zydeco
Groot - Shalako's Fuzzy Marvel of Zydeco
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-29-2009, 03:07 PM
CaliTerp07's Avatar
CaliTerp07 CaliTerp07 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 7,637
Default

Yay! Glad she is okay (No help on the medical questions though...)
__________________


Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-29-2009, 04:29 PM
bubbatd's Avatar
bubbatd bubbatd is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 64,812
Default

Good news !! I'd spay ....why go through heats .
__________________
A light for all who are crossing dark times.


http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Grab's Avatar
Grab Grab is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,006
Default

Personally I'd spay. Older females are generally more likely to get pyometra (though it can happen in younger dogs as well) and having a spay done then just ups the risks. I'd also continue to monitor the lump. Sometimes there is inflamation around a tumor that shrinks a bit. Hoping, obviously, that it's just an infection though.

5 lbs is not that tiny. And, regarding anesthesia, vets and techs don't just blast the anesthesia full force on little unsuspecting dogs It's monitored quite closely. And while risk of complications during anesthesia is present in ALL dogs, large or small, there are incredibly safe anesthetics used these days. You might look into having just gas anesthetic used, and talk to your vet about it at the next appointment. They usually have some sort of handout so that clients can read up and feel comfortable with whatever decision they make.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-29-2009, 06:01 PM
OutlineACDs's Avatar
OutlineACDs OutlineACDs is offline
Crazy Dog!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,341
Default

Agree with Grab. Keep an eye on the tumor for another week or two. If it isn't completely gone, or flares up again after the antibiotics then get it removed and go ahead with the spay while she is under. When my bitch had a mammary lump my vet wasted NO time in getting her under to have it biopsied. It was mammary cancer, so I was glad he was hasty about it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-29-2009, 06:42 PM
Island dog's Avatar
Island dog Island dog is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 990
Default

You must be so relieved. Glad all is well.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-29-2009, 09:14 PM
bandaide's Avatar
bandaide bandaide is offline
Not So Proper
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 104
Default

Thanks for the replies everyone.

My mom is the one who is ultimately making the decision because she will be paying for it, but I'm trying to gather enough information for her. She didn't even want to go back to the vet because the bump is almost gone, but I would really like to go back and get it checked again. Not sure if she will go for a spay because the vet said spaying her now wouldn't reduce the risk of a mammary tumor, but I'll try to make it to the next vet appointment and see what the vet thinks about a spay.

Thanks again guys!
__________________


Prim - Shalako's Primrose of Zydeco
Groot - Shalako's Fuzzy Marvel of Zydeco
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site