Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Show Dog

Unfortunately in dachshunds, conformation "quality" and function are not always hand in hand. The "show dachshund", while beautiful, cannot do it's intended job because it is so limited in it's functions.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorlino View Post
Unfortunately in dachshunds, conformation "quality" and function are not always hand in hand. The "show dachshund", while beautiful, cannot do it's intended job because it is so limited in it's functions.
I think most people here would agree with you. So I guess the question is if you believe this then what are you doing about it? If that makes sense... Do you hunt your dogs?
Old 09-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

So you don't show. Your health testing if done isn't listed on the OFA. You said before you don't hunt.. and your dogs have no companion sports titles.. So what is it that you are doing to improve the state of your breed?

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 09-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
At Strider's first FCI show there were a few ladies there with GORGEOUS dachshunds, imported from Germany and France from working lines. All the dogs competed in earthdog trials....and get this....they had MUSCLE TONE! That was seriously the first time in my life I've seen a dachshund with muscle tone. They were amazing. One 9 yr old female place 2nd above Strider in the hound group.

They told me they'd tried competing in the AKC, but the style of the euro working dogs was so different, their stood out like sore thumbs among the AKC dachshunds. Kind of like, if you took a DDR shepherd and entered it alongside those Great American Hocktrotters people here call German shepherds.

You should try FCI shows. They are way fun. The judge gives you a written evaluation of your dog and they are very laid back. It's a nice low key way to get into showing.

ETA: Also remember, that particular dachshund won on that day because the judge felt he was the best representative there. You can have 10 crappy entries, and the judge still has to pick one of those crappy dogs to take best of breed. On the other hand, you can have 10 stellar dogs, and still only one can win.

And not every judge is an expert in the breed they are judging, or has the same tastes within the standard. That's why you need three majors under three different judges to get an AKC CH.

What I love about FCI is that they are judged against the standard and not each other. If all the dogs suck, nobody gets a good rating. If they are all phenominal, they may all get good ratings.

Last edited by Romy; 09-24-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:49 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
I know many doxies that have breed ring championships and titles in field work (earth dog stuff) and also titles in obedience and agility and tracking. They absolutely can do both.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 09-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Top Dog

In my opinion, *show breeders* do just as much damage to a breed as the pet breeders/BYB whatever you want to call them, if not more in pursuit of a ribbon.

Genetic testing is only as good as those who DON'T knowingly breed an effected dog or a dog/bitch is a known carrier that produces a high number of effected offspring and it happens all the time and if people don't know that then they need to learn it.

There is more to a dog than conformation Titles............especially when those Championships can be purchased by hiring the best handler, therefore the handler is being judged and not the dog they are leading. It is called Judging up the Leash and it happens ALL the time.

People are jumping all over this new member of chaz and she isn't the first or sadly the last, she isn't doing things completely right BUT SHE IS DOING A LOT OF THINGS RIGHT and that isn't good enough for those who are not in a position to judge........there are people on here that don't do everything right either but because they are liked members they get a free pass or they made the mistakes when THEY started to breed and you (meaning the members of Chaz) just don't know about them.

OMG, my first litter.............from a less than ideal bitch with no testing. Because I was a newbie and NOT one breeder that I spoke to at that time required that I test although at that time testing was just coming into vogue. They would take my money and run. I had shown that bitch ONCE and I went to that show solely to ask the judge from England who was being toted as one of the worlds leading terriermen, if he owned my girl would he breed her? Yes, was the answer. So I did. No one said I should prove her as a working dog first either.

My first litter, I have NO regrets, they got me into showing dogs in everything and they won me a lot. Yep I rushed out and did the testing and continue to test, yep I started hunting my dogs as well, loved it. And I learned a ton, met wonderful people ........and I got some amazing mentors. And guess what, there are people out there who compete in conformation that think my dogs are trash because of conformation and pedigree.............and just because I don't (although I have) compete in the show ring.

We all start somewhere and we shouldn't forget where we came from or how we got started. Most of us make mistakes whether it be as breeders.........or when training our first dogs and those of us that love our breeds learn, sometimes by trial and error and some of us are more successful than others. So why is it that everytime someone comes to this forum that so many forget where they came from and from where they started from???

Molly, I hope you change your mind about breeding yound.........I hope that you prove your dogs before breeding them and in the working field would tickle me because I know that so few doxie people continue to hunt with them and I hope you gets some wonderful mentors that will help you grow as a dog person and as a breeder.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Just try me..

Of course we all start somewhere. And I am sure that every breeder on this board is continuing to improve what they do (or at least I hope so) Like anything its a journey.

I think the difference would be that when you didn't know better, you still knew there were things to learn. And when you learned you changed. You didn't go around saying "no" that was how things should be.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I'd think after 10 years in doxies she's have improved something by now. Knows enough to say she health tests. If she doesn't knows enough to lie about it.

Quote:
she isn't doing things completely right BUT SHE IS DOING A LOT OF THINGS RIGHT
I really can't find anything she's doing right honestly. She cares about her dogs and they aren't living in kennels in the back 40.. guess that's right..

Can't prove any health testing
Breeds under 2
Doesn't show, but promotes her pups as show prospects
Doesn't work them sport of field

I'm still looking for what it is that's 'right'..

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 09-24-2009, 08:46 PM
Top Dog

Really????
Old 09-24-2009, 08:50 PM
I'm All Ears

To me the biggest issue is breeding so young. That's what gets me hung up the most. If that part at least were fixed, I'd feel a lot better about this. I honestly don't care about showing, but I do think it's somewhat deceitful to be selling dogs as show dogs when you aren't showing or their parents aren't showing, etc.

I understand no one is perfect but those two things really don't sit well with me.