Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-01-2005, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

Just an idea, but maybe if you get some age appropriate books about dogs for the dcb to look at he might become interested in dogs and feel more comfortable around Jake.

That's great that the little boy took interest in Jake and was throwing the ball for him! If Jake is comfortable being gated in the kitchen that might be a great idea until the dcb gets used to being around Jake. Maybe take one of Jake's favorite toys and have the dcb give it to Jake, that could help.

Also, if the parents could take a few minutes while dropping off or picking up their child they could spend some time with Jake and the little boy. Having the parents be comfortable around Jake and playing with Jake as well as their child could instill trust for the boy that being around dogs is ok and that he isn't going to get hurt.

It's going to take time and patience but hopefully the little guy can get used to being around Jake and still feeling safe!
Old 09-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Corgi bum

This is a tough one for sure...poor Jake...he's just trying to greet the new little boy. I would also agree to keep them separated just enough so the boy won't be aggressive toward Jake but close enough that he can see the interaction with the other kids and Jake and then he'll know that he's safe.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:41 PM
It wasn't me

Maybe do tricks at a distance. Kids love to be entertained and laugh, especially if they get to help give the commands. Then let him give the dog a treat if he feels comfortable.

John's website, http://www.colorcrayon.com

change is the only constant in work and life
Old 09-01-2005, 07:46 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I tmay be bad for the dog to be crated for a month but he must NOT be in a position to bite the boy..maybe you can put up a partial screen and corner off a section of the room with baby gates or something so he will have a little more room but the boy would not be able to see him..if you covered the gates with a blanket..if the dog does bite then you would have the possibility of a huge lawsuit on your hands..is there someone that would watch the dog in their home until the child relocates?

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 09-01-2005, 08:12 PM
Felurian

It doesn't seem as though the problem is worrying about Jake biting, it's worrying about having a panicky child. You have to be watchful, to be sure, as children like that can manage to get themselves hurt and in their fear and panic will often say the dog bit them when it's just fearful imagination.

You certainly don't want to make Jake feel like he's being punished because of the child by locking him in the crate for a month though! I think you're probably on the right track, keeping Jake in the kitchen with you when you're fixing lunch, etc. The natural curiosity of a child may overcome irrational fear as long as no one is rewarding this child for being fearful. Think of it in the same terms that you would desensitizing a puppy to something it's afraid of.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Puppy Whipped!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePrincesss17
Just an idea, but maybe if you get some age appropriate books about dogs for the dcb to look at he might become interested in dogs and feel more comfortable around Jake.

That's great that the little boy took interest in Jake and was throwing the ball for him! If Jake is comfortable being gated in the kitchen that might be a great idea until the dcb gets used to being around Jake. Maybe take one of Jake's favorite toys and have the dcb give it to Jake, that could help.

Also, if the parents could take a few minutes while dropping off or picking up their child they could spend some time with Jake and the little boy. Having the parents be comfortable around Jake and playing with Jake as well as their child could instill trust for the boy that being around dogs is ok and that he isn't going to get hurt.

It's going to take time and patience but hopefully the little guy can get used to being around Jake and still feeling safe!
I did talk to the dad at pickup time, and he said that dcb talks about Jake for days after being here (doesn't help that he's part time!). He is interested in the dog as long as the dog stays away from him--but Jake just keeps trying harder to get friendly with this child! I do know this boy was *rushed* by a pitbull earlier in the spring, and that is probably where a lot of the fear stems from.

Jake has been very hard to socialize, and he is very afraid of strangers and having strangers touch him. I don't dare let someone come to the door and pat him, or let someone pat him while we are out for walks. Very slowly, I am getting Jake more comfortable with people. But he doesn't know the dcdad very well yet, and so I don't know if the dad interacting with the dog would be a good thing! But Jake truly loves kids, and welcomes them all into our home

I think it will just take some time--as far as I know, this boy will only be with me for the month of Sept....they have talked about maybe keeping him with me during her mat leave too, but I might kind of discourage that based on the dog issue. Of course, one of my other dcb was also afraid of the dog when we first got him, and now he just loves him!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Puppy Whipped!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer*Mom
Maybe do tricks at a distance. Kids love to be entertained and laugh, especially if they get to help give the commands. Then let him give the dog a treat if he feels comfortable.
He did initially enjoy giving Jake a treat, but then became too afraid to later on in the day. I will keep encouraging it
Old 09-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Puppy Whipped!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaluvscorgis
This is a tough one for sure...poor Jake...he's just trying to greet the new little boy. I would also agree to keep them separated just enough so the boy won't be aggressive toward Jake but close enough that he can see the interaction with the other kids and Jake and then he'll know that he's safe.
Should I leash him in the house, then? Maybe that way Jake can still be out and about, but I can keep him away from the dcb?
Old 09-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I think putting a leash on him would be a great idea!
Old 09-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Twin 2.0

I wish my babysitters had had a dog, I maybe wouldn't have tried locking myself in car so often...

It sounds like you're on the right track with how to deal with dcb. Just give it time.