Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Puppy Whipped!!!

Default HELP! dcb terrified of dog :-(

I run a home daycare, and my dog Jake is very nervous of adults, but happy with children. He loves the kids here, and gets really excited and playful when they are here.

I started a new daycare boy today, and he is TERRIFIED of the dog. Not just nervous, but screaming/climbing me/punching the dog terrified. Jake was trying to say *hello* and sniff this new child, but I ended up having to crate him for a large part of the day I am afraid that if this boy continues to scream and flap his hands and punch the dog, any progress I have made with Jake will regress and this boy will be bitten.

Termination of care isn't an option--this boy is a teacher's son, and he's only temporary. But I can't crate Jake for the next month while this boy is here!

Any advice on getting this boy to relax, or getting Jake to relax and not stick his nose in the boy's face? Or anywhere near him? (he also freaked when the dog tried to sniff his foot).
Old 09-01-2005, 12:22 PM
My pets love me they do

You may just very well have to crate jake. There may not be any wat of getting the boy to relax-you dont know if he has had a bad experience with an animal, or just does not like dogs. I used to run a day care business and also had dogs but in the ends as much as I loved my dogs my business and the welfare of the kids that these parents had trusted me with came first.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:24 PM
Island dweller

Wow. That is one scared boy! Has he seen the dog interact with the other kids? Sometimes that helps. Poor Jake. He must wonder what he did! I don't really have anything else to suggest but I'll keep thinking about it.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:25 PM
yuckaduck

It is so hard to make a child understand that Jake is just saying hello. Can you maybe try tying Jake to a couch or something, maybe babygating off the area so he can't get near this poor boy. No need to traumatize the boy or the dog, maybe be best to just keep them seperated.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Puppy Whipped!!!

I talked to his dad when he picked him up, and he said dcb was the same with another dog until he got used to him.

The dad doesn't seem concerned, and figures he will get used to the dog. I wonder if dcb will settle down once he sees that even the baby isn't afraid?
Old 09-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Puppy Whipped!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
Wow. That is one scared boy! Has he seen the dog interact with the other kids? Sometimes that helps. Poor Jake. He must wonder what he did! I don't really have anything else to suggest but I'll keep thinking about it.
He did see the dog with my girls and with the other little boy that was here today. They just ignored Jake and Jake ignored them LOL. The problem with Jake is that when he KNOWS someone doesn't like him, he tries SO HARD to make friends with them.

I have never seen a child so terrified of the dog!
Old 09-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Puppy Whipped!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckaduck
It is so hard to make a child understand that Jake is just saying hello. Can you maybe try tying Jake to a couch or something, maybe babygating off the area so he can't get near this poor boy. No need to traumatize the boy or the dog, maybe be best to just keep them seperated.
It is hard--this boy is only 2.5, so he doesn't totally understand what I am telling him. Also, he is right on eye level with the dog!

I kept Jake gated in the kitchen with me while I made lunch, and then the dcb wouldn't leave him alone--so there is curiousity there KWIM? And he DID throw the ball for Jake outside and enjoyed that
Old 09-01-2005, 12:34 PM
yuckaduck

No a 2.5 year old will not understand what you say. I notice that with Megan, but maybe he is starting to relax. If he enjoyed throwing the ball for Jake then that is great. Hopefully he will quickly understand that it is ok and Jake is friendly.

I have these problems with full growen adults when I walk Yukon in town and he is just a pup. They are terrified of him, even when he is leashed so I understand where you are coming from and with a child it is so much harder because they do not comprehend our explaination.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:42 PM
My pets love me they do

Lorri I didnt mean to come across harsh in my post. It is hard with kids especially if they have not grown up around animals to understand. It is good that he is attempting to interact with the dog by throwing the ball.

Old 09-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Whitedobelover

i agree it is hard but ask the dad or mom to hold him and then introduce the dog to him that way... of course he will still freak out but he trusts his parents and that is the good thing he will trust them and know that they will not let anything happen... it is like bringing a new puppy into the house with cats... you have to introduce them face to face... so try that and see if it helps