Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2dogs View Post
The national club also has a list of Ch. on their website, you might want to ask when it was updated, though:
Pyrenean Mastiff / Mastin De Los Pirinoes.
Most of those names are from the breeder I am looking into. Thank you for finding this list. I will continue my research.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
Most of those names are from the breeder I am looking into. Thank you for finding this list. I will continue my research.
Good luck!
Old 09-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Twin 2.0

Many breeders, especially the further into the dicussions you get, will give out some previous puppy contacts. My Aussie breeder gave me the email of a couple people, though I already knew them through the board.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:52 PM
CASSA

Rafael Malo Alcrudo is on face book he founded the breed in the USA.
He also wrote the book on the breed. You should contact him where you can get his book and strike up a convo with him. He is a judge so not home all the time .
http://www.tajadera.com/images/fondo.jpg

This breed has not hit the millers and yarders yet so u will have a good chance.

Check this out can we say pack dog.
http://www.tajadera.com/entrada/Tomando%20el%20sol.jpg
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 09-24-2009, 07:29 AM
Top Dog

I can't see the last link. Re-send it, I am very curious to see the video.

This is the breeder I have been e-mailing back and forth with. Tell me what you think...Pyrenean Mastiff Mastin de los Pirineos Mastin Del Pirineo Pyrenean Mastiff Mastin de los Pirineos Mastin Del Pirineo Pyrenean Mastiff M

I e-mailed another one, but still have not gotten a response.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Top Dog

Just want other peoples opinion on this:

I have been in contact with a Pyrenean Mastiff breeder from the US. We have been e-mailing back and forth for 2 days now. I also contacted the Pyrenean Mastiff Club of America and the president ends up being the same person from the kennel.

Is that good? I think so, but maybe there could be a different perspective on this.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Water Junkie

I would say that's definitely a positive.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-02-2009, 06:52 AM
Big Dog

Even breeders with the best reputation are humans and they cannot control everything in genetics of their breeding stock. It is always like a gamble. The breeder can only improve his chances and so is the buyer of puppy. Most of old popular purebreds are highly inbred and the chance of buying a dog with hip dysplasia and other genetic defects are high. I notice you choose between Great Pyrenees and Mastiff. They are very different breeds; more different then you may think. It depends how you will use your dog. If you want just an impressive appearance, or you want a reliable personal protection dog? What is your environment? Do you live in a city? Do you need a dog for protection of livestock? These are things to discuss with would be a reputable breeder. These two breeds are very different. If you need a dog for field work with livestock, you may consider other big aboriginal origin dogs. They may be more vigorous, but somehwat wilder in the character, then Pyrenees. Selling healthy and capable to work puppies is OK. They should go to right home and the right owner.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Top Dog

[QUOTE=ufimych;1472195]I notice you choose between Great Pyrenees and Mastiff. They are very different breeds; more different then you may think/QUOTE]

I am not wanting to get a Great Pyrenees. The breed I have been doing research is the Pyrenean Mastiff. They are different from the Great Pyrenees.
The Pyrenean Mastiff originated for the northern mountains of Spain. I have been talking with a breeder (there are not many, most are in Europe) and they have said that the Pyrenean Mastiff is one of the most adaptable giant breed dogs. They also mentioned that they are good candidates for being a therapy dog and that is what I am intending to do if I were to get one.

I do not live in the city. I live out in "farm-land" as I like to call it.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:32 AM
Top Dog

If a breeder has the full name of their dogs listed on their site (show name) then you can check in the OFA online database to see if they've health tested their hips and such. Or even if you just have their kennel name . . . Like if their kennel name is Dream Mastiffs (okay, lame name, I know), you can put that in the OFA search and it will pull up all dogs whose names start with that.