Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-23-2009, 03:43 PM
Top Dog

Default Reputable Breeders

I have been looking for a Pyrenean Mastiff breeder here in Canada, but with no luck.
My question is, if there are no local reputable breeders, how do you make sure one of the long distance ones are good or not? It's not like I can go there and see the parents on site or anything.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Water Junkie

Well, there are multiple things you can do. One, call and talk to them over the phone. Email and ask lots of questions. If you're able, find a forum/Yahoo Group that is specifically for this breed and ask what they think of the breeder.

Another thing is to research pedigrees. See what dogs are where. It will give you a feel for other dogs, too, not just from the breeder you're looking at.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 09-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
I have been looking for a Pyrenean Mastiff breeder here in Canada, but with no luck.
My question is, if there are no local reputable breeders, how do you make sure one of the long distance ones are good or not? It's not like I can go there and see the parents on site or anything.
Reputation,maybe talk to those who have bought puppies from that breeder,of course check pedigrees/health testing stuff. Talk to the breeder over the phone, ask a bunch of questions!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
Reputation,maybe talk to those who have bought puppies from that breeder
Is that sort of information readily available for potential puppy buyers? I would think that they would not give out other peoples contact info, but I may be wrong.

As for the health testing, how would I get them to prove they have had all the necessary health testing?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have never gotten a pup from a breeder. I don't want to screw this up especially considering the size of these dogs!!
Old 09-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Water Junkie

I don't think they would give out the contact information, but you might ask if they have any updates about previous puppies and pictures?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 09-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
I don't think they would give out the contact information, but you might ask if they have any updates about previous puppies and pictures?
Yes there are lots of pictures and little blurbs about past litters.
They claim that many of their dogs that have been in shows and such, but how do I find out if they are telling the truth?
Old 09-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Top Dog

I would contact the president of the Pyrenean Mastiff Club of America and ask for their recommendation (Pyrenean Mastiff Mastin De Los Pirinoes Mastin del Pirineo Pyrenean Mas Pyrenean Mastiff Mastin De Los Pirinoes Mastin del Pirineo Pyrenean Mas Pyrenean Mastiff Mastin De Los Pirinoes Mastin del Pirineo Pyrenean Mas Pyrenean Mastiff Masti).

Talk. . . and ask about their breeding goals, health, involvement, and accomplishments. Make sure you agree with their breeding practices, and the way their rear their puppies. Those are most important to me, so you will have to think about what YOU want in a breeder, and go about bringing it up.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:00 PM
Water Junkie

Like mom2dogs said, contact the Club and get there opinion.

As far as telling the truth, I would just try to talk to them as much as possible.

l ~Jennifer~ l
Old 09-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
They claim that many of their dogs that have been in shows and such, but how do I find out if they are telling the truth?
Simply ask. Do they have certificates? Photos? Judge's reviews? As for health testing, again, ask for documentation. Any breeder who refuses, is easy to walk away from.
Old 09-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
The national club also has a list of Ch. on their website, you might want to ask when it was updated, though:
Pyrenean Mastiff / Mastin De Los Pirinoes.