Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-23-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
why take our word for it? or your Doc's for that matter. It's your body, YOU have to decide what is right. I'm confident in my decision for lots of reasons.

Unplugged: H1N1 Vaccine Dangers - CBS News Video

Here's a very level headed discussion on the real dangers of swine flu. Take 10 minutes and watch it.

and back to the OP, I wasn't aware that H1N1 had made the jump to dogs, but most in the general population don't differentiate between different flu's, they hear the word and it means the same. There's lots of hype about the flu this time of year anyway, now throw in the swine flu hysteria, it's easy to get the dogs in there too. Regardless of the strain.

I already got your point. and yes, I will even agree as to the hype of flu hysteria. but I didn't just pull this from my behind, I asked only because it was a news story. OK...I ALSO GET THAT THEY HYPE CRAP. I have a brain. but I wondered what other dog owners thought, if they heard of such a thing, and wanted their opinions.

as to your vid...I don't make decisions lightly, so I don't need some video you posted to sway me. thanks anyway.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Top Dog

what? who mentioned anything about a behind and pulling stuff from there?

the video wasn't posted for "you" and it isn't meant to sway anybody. it's about the only logical common sense media piece i could find and though people could benefit from seeing it.

i almost feel like I should pull out a peeing on cheerios reference again.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:03 PM

sorry. it seemed that you had a point that you made, release the hounds, then got defensive when it wasn't the end of the discussion. that vid is one of many 'level headed discussions' about swine flu out there. that's cool that you posted it. doesn't mean it is the absolute to anything, especially since there is so much unknown at this point. I'm also glad you are confident in your personal decision regarding what you choose to believe. I'm not just taking 'our word for it', or 'my docs'...altho this was actually a question as to if anyone heard of it for their dog, not ME. I'm sure most people know the differences between seasonal flu and this H1N1..please. so don't take such offense. I am merely wanting to hear what most dog owners think..what they have heard (if anything) on the subject.

yes, I'm always aware of the big pharm companies wanting to make the big bucks, too. that isn't something we all don't know already.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:18 PM
Top Dog

Whatever. I'm getting the vaccine. Every vaccine has its risks and benefits. People who are susceptible to illness should get it. Medical providers should get it - after all, if all our nation's medical providers had to take 7-10 days off work because they have the swine flu, that could be a crisis. I'm getting it.

As for dogs, I haven't heard. But they have to be boarded twice in October so I'm at least looking into it.

smkie, I don't know who told you not to get it, but at least please do your own research and decide for yourself.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Top Dog

what?

i think you really misinterpreted me

smkie took the attitude that "we" told her not to get it so she didn't and she just hopes we're right. Well that's a defeatist attitude and it doesn't get people very far.

So I said don't take our word for it, or your doc's, get informed

i posted a video that was pretty accurate, rather than a nightly news bit about all the kids dying. ( 36 in total, only 2 of whom did not have a neurodevlopmental condition or underlying heart and lung problem).

somebody made a comment about h1n1 jumping to dogs, I wasn't aware that it had. Isn't that what you were asking for? I haven't heard anything about it. But I do know that when the "flu" is on everyone's mind and in the news, it doesn't matter what kind it is, avian, swine, canine, whatever, if they can put it out there at the same time, it gets absorbed the same. It's a brilliant marketing strategy. It's not scientific by any means, but I wouldn't be suprised if 50% of the people bringing in their dogs for "flu" shots are thinking it will protect them from the flu they might get.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:34 PM

two people this week in my county died from swine flu. one a healthy 42 yr. old woman, the other a healthy 27 yr. old man. it was confirmed (took over two weeks for lab confirmation) listen..I'm not all hysterical about it, but I do have to ask questions. this news story about dogs getting it from humans sort of took me by surprise. it wasn't even something I'd consider. I wouldn't be the person running to the vet due to news hype, yet it doesn't hurt to ask what other dog owners have heard or think.

release the hounds, it may very well be all bunk. or it may very well be scientific. guess we won't know until it's over, will we? still..it isn't prudent to assume we are all stupid for not thinking it's marketing, as well as it isn't prudent to assume we all have to panic.

it's just not a bad idea to ask a question now and then.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Big Dog

To date, there is no known dog/cat to human or vice versa transmissions.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Quote:
GO...they said specifically it was for H1N1, and that our dogs were as likely to get it (and die, of course...they love hyping the dying part)
That's bullshit, or misunderstanding (on their part). They were either told about H3N8 and assumed the person meant H1N1 (since it's the big thing right now) or they're just making **** up. There are no cases of H1N1 in dogs, or cats, and it can't be transferred even via injecting the virus directly into the dog/cat.

The closest thing to infecting domestic animals (aside from the pig of course) is that the newest strains are getting pretty good at stealing plasmids and other DNA bits from existing flu viruses and it could potentially start infecting dogs, cats, and the ilk, but it's more likely that it'll just pick up the bird flu strains (since it already has some affinity for the bird) and go that route. It's a lot easier to do from an evolutionary stand point.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 09-23-2009, 01:37 PM

thanks again, GO.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

No documented cases of jumping to dogs/cats, and even if there were, they would NOT make the vaccine available for animals yet. They are still trying to roll out enough for people. However, I think other people have established that. Speaking of the dog flu, we have it in VA too.

That said, H1N1 is not especially dangerous. Right now, it is posing two problems and one potential problem. The two real problems is that it is spreading like wildfire before flu season really starts, and the vaccine isn't ready to roll yet. The other problem is that 1% of the people in infects get really, really, really, sick. As in deathly ill. And those people aren't the people that the flu usually kills . . . they are often young adults. Here, in the US, they tend to pull through unless there is something else wrong with them. However, even if you catch it, you only have about a 1% chance of a dangerous illness . . . so there is no cause for panic.

The third issue is that it may mutate and become more dangerous, which is one reason they want to vaccinate people . . . even if the mutation is dramatic, the vaccination will make you resistant, which is better than nothing. They also want to vaccinate people to avoid having to close schools/businesses if it spreads widely.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com