Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-23-2009, 09:26 AM

Default H1N1 shot...for your dog?

the other night we were watching the news, when they had a story that stated we MUST get our dogs the H1N1 shot a.s.a.p. we look at each other...dumbfounded. didn't know it was available for all the masses, why is it suddenly there for dogs?? not sure I want the vaccine, but I can say with a pretty good certainty we won't be getting it for the dogs. anyone else hearing this latest hype? never got any other type of flu shot for the dogs. heck...I've never even had a dog with a 'cold'. I'm confused as to the necessity of it?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Top Dog

I had a dog with a horrible cold once ....All I wanted to do was blow his nose !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

I saw it on the new today There saying it's an outbreak & pretty bad. My guy's don't go near other dog's especially dog's we don't know so i won't be getting the shot But they say if your dog come's in contact with other dog's to get the shot, It's HIGHLY contagious.

Oh they say it started out at the greyhound races & spread to boarding places and daycare's & now to shelters.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Top Dog

nobody is missing out on this great opportunity to make billions and billions of dollars. You think they're crazy? They aren't generating all this hype for nothing, they're going to take advantage of it.

I feel sorry for all the pets and people that are going to roll up their sleeves and be guinea pigs.

and yes the human one has been approved safe and effective by the FDA as of a week ago, after testing for 5 weeks. Bravo, I say, Bravo.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

You sure it's H1N1? There's H3N8 which is considered the 'dog flu' and found primarily in the New York area but has been seen in Pennsylvania and Colorado as well (though the Colorado is probably an outlier and from someone flying in from NY). It's making the rounds as well.

Anyhow the current H1N1 strains can't nor has it been shown to make the jump to dogs, cats, or any other domesticated animal sans pigs and birds (and birds are just asymptommatic carriers).

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 09-23-2009, 10:51 AM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassOnion View Post
You sure it's H1N1? There's H3N8 which is considered the 'dog flu' and found primarily in the New York area but has been seen in Pennsylvania and Colorado as well (though the Colorado is probably an outlier and from someone flying in from NY). It's making the rounds as well.

Anyhow the current H1N1 strains can't nor has it been shown to make the jump to dogs, cats, or any other domesticated animal sans pigs and birds (and birds are just asymptommatic carriers).

Yes this is probably it.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassOnion View Post

GO...they said specifically it was for H1N1, and that our dogs were as likely to get it (and die, of course...they love hyping the dying part) I'm in PA, so I would hope that is what they meant, and they just got carried away with the swine flu hype. altho, I still don't see me giving my dogs any vaccines they don't need anyway. they aren't exposed to other dogs..ever. (which I assume is how it spreads?) I was hoping you'd weigh in on this...thanks!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:59 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

WEll Chazzers said it would be a bad idea for me to get the vaccine for myself so I didn't do it. Guess i will hope they are right and not get it for the dogs either.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 09-23-2009, 11:03 AM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

I dont see me giving the shot to my dogs. i think i would rather keep them away from other dogs for the time being
Old 09-23-2009, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

why take our word for it? or your Doc's for that matter. It's your body, YOU have to decide what is right. I'm confident in my decision for lots of reasons.

Unplugged: H1N1 Vaccine Dangers - CBS News Video

Here's a very level headed discussion on the real dangers of swine flu. Take 10 minutes and watch it.

and back to the OP, I wasn't aware that H1N1 had made the jump to dogs, but most in the general population don't differentiate between different flu's, they hear the word and it means the same. There's lots of hype about the flu this time of year anyway, now throw in the swine flu hysteria, it's easy to get the dogs in there too. Regardless of the strain.