Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 09-20-2009, 10:33 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Default Rascal has a vet appointment...

...on Wednesday at 6pm. Just his usual annual physical, plus his rabies and distemper vaccines. I always get really nervous when I take him. He is 5 years old, he is considered an old man. There is so many problems that most ferrets have by this age, for him to have never had an issue (well, other than ripping off his nail and breaking his toe) is amazing. So, each year, I always fear that they are going to find something -- that he will be showing his old age.
Keeping him in your thoughts, and hoping he will get a clean bill of health would be appreciated I am sure nothing is wrong, and I'm probably just over thinking it, but I can't help it.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Remembering Casey ♥

Good vibes for you and Rascal!

You need to quit worrying!!!
Old 09-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
Good vibes for you and Rascal!

You need to quit worrying!!!
Thanks Jess. And I will! Once he gets a clean bill of health... well, atleast I'll quit worrying about this :P

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-20-2009, 01:06 PM
Top Dog

I wish you better luck with yours than I've had with mine

I'd advise against getting rabies and distemper at the same appointment though. Usually with ferrets you want to space those out between a couple of weeks to be safe.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labyrinth View Post
I wish you better luck with yours than I've had with mine

I'd advise against getting rabies and distemper at the same appointment though. Usually with ferrets you want to space those out between a couple of weeks to be safe.
Hmmm really? I've always gotten them done at the same time... however I could be wrong and it could only be rabies distemper he is getting (I know his rabies is good for 3 years but they suggest every year to get it done)

Maybe I'll talk to the vet about it. I do know that last year I had to restart his distemper as though he was a kit and he had to get all 3 shots (he hadn't gotten the booster the year before so the booster wouldn't have worked), so it may be kind of early for him to get distemper anyways.

And yah, I've been incredibly lucky when it comes to vet appointments with both Rosey and Rascal, so far I mean, Rosey is almost 11 or 12 and only had one issue over last christmas with a minor UTI, most people I know are much worse off. Although, now that I said it, something will happen

Old 09-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Top Dog

I've always been advised against getting the vaccines done at the same time by a few different vets (for ferrets, apparently it's fine for other species). They always want me to make a separate appointment for a couple weeks later for the second shot. If he's had them together before and hasn't had a reaction it might be okay, but definitely double check with your vet.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:10 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Vibes comin your way!

My experience has been the same as Labyrinth's with spacing them out.

All 3 distemper shots? Why?? Was a titter drawn to determine that this was necessary? I am just wondering - not trying to pry or anything, but often times animals are waay over-vaccinated. I'm doing distemper & rabies every 3 years unless I can get my vet to titter for the distemper (rabies is req by law every 3 years, here). There are some studies that say they are good for a lot longer (7ish years).

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 09-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brattina88 View Post
Vibes comin your way!

My experience has been the same as Labyrinth's with spacing them out.

All 3 distemper shots? Why?? Was a titter drawn to determine that this was necessary? I am just wondering - not trying to pry or anything, but often times animals are waay over-vaccinated. I'm doing distemper & rabies every 3 years unless I can get my vet to titter for the distemper (rabies is req by law every 3 years, here). There are some studies that say they are good for a lot longer (7ish years).
For the most part I agree with animals being over-vaccinated and do not like getting them vaccinated. Rosey does not get either rabies or distemper. But, I am terrified with Rascal lol, especially now that I will be in contact with animals that possibly do have distemper, and am at high risk for bringing it home.

And he got all 3 distemper shots because he had never gotten them at all before. His old owner never took him to the vet at all, heck, he was never even outside on a leash with her. He stayed in his cage all day.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Wookie Collie

My vet spaces the shots between three weeks, so that have two appointments annually. One is the checkup and one vaccine, he other is just the vaccine, I don't pay for two consultations.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 09-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Love My Mutt <3

hmm weird. Well, I asked my prof about it, and it seems to be that since he has never had a reaction with it before, he wouldn't worry about it. So, I am thinking that as long as he gets a clean bill of health from the vet, we will go ahead with both vaccines today.