Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-01-2005, 08:52 AM
Twin 2.0

I would reassure Yucka that he is still your #1 boy and you haven't replaced him, just added a friend. Sawyer and Guinness(we renamed her Aubry) get along great, but there's still some jealousy issues when it comes to me. Make sure Yucka gets praise, treats, pats and food first and keep his toys separate from the new ones.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:55 AM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27
Is it a shepherd too?

I think it's great, but at the same time I'm sure there are dogs that are scheduled to be killed soon closer to you too. But as long as it works out, it's great. I know I wouldn't do it personally, I much rather handle things myself than trusting people I don't know, unless it's the rescue that brings up the dog. And it's important to me that the dogs meet first, too.
Well I can adopt her and trust in the rescue group or she can be gased. I cannot get approved for a rescue closer to me because the age of my kids makes everyone say no right away. I am very happy to have the opportunity to rescue this girl. She is a registered german shepherd spayed female.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:57 AM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom
I would reassure Yucka that he is still your #1 boy and you haven't replaced him, just added a friend. Sawyer and Guinness(we renamed her Aubry) get along great, but there's still some jealousy issues when it comes to me. Make sure Yucka gets praise, treats, pats and food first and keep his toys separate from the new ones.

We are hoping that since it is a male and a female, both fixed that they will get along and of course there are always little squabbles same as with people, but I hope they can over time become buddies and be great with our families. Of course Yuck is number 1 he holds a very special place in my heart. He is my baby boy after all, I have bought lots of toys two of everything so that way they all have the same. Same as with the human babies what one gets the other gets.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Top Dog

That sounds great! I hope everything works out.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:01 AM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa_W
That sounds great! I hope everything works out.

It will and if not we will be stuck with it anyway. That is one thing about me, I just cannot give away or rehome an animal. So if all heck breaks loose it will be a long time before peace is established because she will join our family and all issues will be worked out. My husband and I have signed both dogs up for obedience classes starting Oct 2, so we can bond together and just help re socialize her since she has been living in a kennel for a while. We want to make her transition as easy as possible, but it will be very hard on her I am sure. Big differences in her life and big changes. I am sure she will be very confused and need lots of reassuring that this is her forever home.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Top Dog

With that attitude, I'm sure you'll be able to do it no matter what. I just hope it goes smoothly for you.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Top Dog

Sounds fun!

I got to say though, when so many dogs need homes I'll never understand why rescues are so picky.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:09 AM
Top Dog

I agree, Fran. We can't adopt because we don't have a fenced in backyard. But Skye gets tons of exercise. He goes on walks, runs, gets taken to the park all the time. Some people just dump their dogs into their fenced in backyard, Skye gets a lot more attention than people who do that. But we can't adopt anyway, because of the "rules".
Old 09-01-2005, 10:31 AM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa_W
I agree, Fran. We can't adopt because we don't have a fenced in backyard. But Skye gets tons of exercise. He goes on walks, runs, gets taken to the park all the time. Some people just dump their dogs into their fenced in backyard, Skye gets a lot more attention than people who do that. But we can't adopt anyway, because of the "rules".

My kids are too young and [3 & 4 years old almost] and my husband and I have not been together long enough [4 years this sept 28 we will be married]
and our fence is not high enough at 5 feet. We do not have enough shade in the fenced in area, there are 3 big trees and we have several little ones planted growing up to provide shade. We never use that area for the dogs anyways, it is where the kids toys are. We have another dog which is a 5 month old so he is a lot of work and we could never handle another dog???HUH?? Yukon is housetrained and is a great doggy and having another one does not make it harder or easier, they require the same things. Love, caring, training, food, water, shelter, love, love , love, love, love, exercise
Old 09-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Top Dog

I guess it really depends on the rescues/shelters... The ASPCA 5 minutes away doesn't ask any question, which is probably why they got 140 pets returned last year... The rescue I got Tips from didn't really care that we had another puppy, but they asked questions, just never made sure we were not lying.