Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-23-2009, 09:00 AM
Top Dog

I think it's LGD- livestock guardian dog.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:01 AM
CASSA

Livestock guardian dog LGD.
Not all dogs are typical LGD's.
Some are more territorial guardians like Central Asian Shepherds.

Great Pry, Kuvasz, Akbash BOND with the sheep and think of themselves as sheep.

CAS - Koochee type dogs think of themselves as dog or part cat . And protect the area the sheep are in or any area they percieve as theirs which is why they are a nomadic guardian.

So often we wrongly classify breeds to better understand where they belong.

Thanks I drove my mom Crazy at age 11 by reciting all the AKC breeds from my wall poster back then. My fav was the Bedlington terrier it was so odd looking.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 09-23-2009, 09:06 AM
Fila Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
What does lGD mean?

And I must say, you are a great source of very valuable information
Thank you
Livestock guradian dogs

I was going to suggest another St. Bernard also. A friend of mine had one, it was so adorable. Big lovable guy, but he had a lot of respect from strangers.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Top Dog

So I take it that a pyrenean mastiff would be okay to be left off leash while on the property? I live on a large property and I have always wanted to have a dog that can be off leash 95% of the time. I love my hound dogs, but not all of them can be trusted to be off leash for too long.

I was doing some research and I think I have narrowed it down to either a Saint Bernard or the Pyrenean Mastiff.

I really like how the temperament of the Pyrenean Mastiff is said to be. Soft, gentle, yet you still don't want to mess with it. I also really like how they are described to see other dogs it may live with as part of the "flock", meaning they will not try to hurt them. I find it kind of endearing in a way.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by filarotten View Post
Livestock guradian dogs

I was going to suggest another St. Bernard also. A friend of mine had one, it was so adorable. Big lovable guy, but he had a lot of respect from strangers.

Well, if I win the lottery like I am planning on doing soon, I will get both a Saint Bernard AND a Pyrenean Mastiff!!
Old 09-23-2009, 09:24 AM
CASSA

Well im city gal and im a anti off leash person . My 14 front acres are fenced.
So I dont suggest that to anyone.

Being a giant breed you wont get the speed for take off.
They will bond to you and with training anything is possible.
You set boundaries by NEVER extending your walks beyond a safe zone.
So you do not take them on road for a walk if you dont want them to go there and go walk about without you. Once they mark the territory as theres then when loose it is their job to walk the edge of the property.

I learned this hard way took my 1st CAS 13 years ago out to post my 50 acres on the edge.
She was loose with me on my middle 10 never front or back.
Next day let her loose and did my reg walk and she took off down the same path she marked the day before . I ran to house to get the car she was back in a flash.
Next year find out from neighbor behind me that u should of seen the Rottie mix that came out your ditch with a orange vest She Stood her ground would not let him close to the property line. She postured mock charged dug a hole like to bury him it he then told her go come girl ( I was screaming and she heard me). So she saw no threat and came home. But her growl and posture is far worse then any bite. Since they put so much into displaying to ward scare off strangers it is like the demon from hell.
She was NEVER let loose again. And none of my other dogs even know I own that much land.

So each dog is different if you get the correct pup for u no limits to what you want to do.
you can train a 4 ft perimiter for walking and recall every time they go too far.

Other than being carefull with giant breeds. Slow growth , make sure food is approite to the exercise , Glos/Chrointin/ carefull about bloat dont know about it but heard it is deadly.

Think you will be great no matter what you choose.

My wish hit lotto fence in all 50 acres
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 09-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Top Dog

I live out in a rural farm land area. Our road isn't even paved, so I am not too concerned with an abundance of traffic. But still, I have to be carefull.
But living out in the middle of nowhere and being a woman who lives alone.....yes I want to feel safe.

The Mastiff cross I am fostering right now does not need to be on a leash. She generally does not stray too far and her recall is impeccable.

That is how I would want my giant dog to live unless he ended up being to hard headed and decided to stray. But I doubt that will happen