Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-31-2005, 10:32 AM
Big Dog

Default Dogs as accessories?

I don't know who started this whole thing of dogs as accessories (Paris Hilton, perhaps?) but it sure seems to be catching on. I was shopping in a very "artsy" neighbourhood in another city a few days ago, and every single store was selling tiny jeweled collars, dog shirts with feather boa trim, dog dishes studded in rhinestones, even beaded necklaces for your dog.

Now, none of this would bother me, except I met a young woman with a lovely little Shih Tzu, and after talking to her for awhile I realized she really didn't know anything about dogs. She had no idea if the puppy needed any more vaccines, had no idea about puppy behaviour or socialization, had no idea how to get the puppy to stop nipping, and said she bought the puppy because it was "cute and small" and knew virtually nothing about the breed, the breeder (she got it at a pet store), or the health of the dog.

I was a little startled - I mean it was wayyyyy cute in that jeweled collar and the pink and black feather-trimmed dogshirt, but I kept wondering if this woman really had any idea what she was in for. I wondered how long she would put up with the puddles on the floor because she didn't have the patience to house train (she said surely the puppy would "just learn"), and the chewed shoes ("why doesn't she know they are my shoes?"). I guess I have to wonder how long some of these puppies have before their owners decide they've tired of this new accessory to dress and bejewel and send them off to the shelter as the behaviour issues become more than they can handle...

I know not every person who dresses their dog in jewels is like this, but does the whole "dog as accessory" craze bother anyone else or am I just old and cranky? (er, yeah, I know I am old and cranky in general, I just meant more so on this topic, LOL!)
Old 08-31-2005, 10:43 AM
I want 2 b a dog 4 a day

No I know what you mean. Too many people are getting dogs just because they are "cute and little." They don't know what they are doing, and you're right, when the behavior problems get out of control, they don't think they're cute anymore, and 9 times out of 10 they'll give their dog to a shelter or someone else. I'll admit, I've dressed my lhasa apso plenty of times in clothes because I thought they were cute. I wanted a lhasa because I think they're beautiful dogs. Unfortunately, Maggie doesn't like her fur long, she prefers it short so I can't get the fur that sweeps the ground like I like. But before I got a lhasa I did a TON of research on the breed. Granted, I don't consider myself an expert by any means, especially since Maggie still likes to poop on the floor! I cant believe that lady with the shih tzu said "why doesn't she know they are my shoes" that just made me laugh. Apparently this woman is a moron! Hopefully she'll learn, but it doesn't sound like it.

www.dogster.com/?245038
www.dogster.com/?245035.
www.dogster.com/?245031
Old 08-31-2005, 10:44 AM
Felurian

It's been going on for a long, long, long, long time. It just took someone like Paris Hilton to bring it out into the mainstream and introduce it to all sorts of people who would have continued to just buy the latest clothing or jewelry.

Yeah. There's going to be a glut of tiny, almost unadoptable dogs in shelters . . .

And that doesn't even begin to cover the travesty of the increase in the production of misery from the puppy mills churning out these little fashion accessories.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-31-2005, 11:40 AM
Top Dog

The good thing I guess is that small dogs find homes much faster than big dogs. But it's just so ridiculous what people do nowadays...
Old 08-31-2005, 11:53 AM
Show Dog

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You should have to take some sort of test to be able to get a Dog legally..
Old 08-31-2005, 12:20 PM
Slave to Three

I see it alot i live right by Long Island. It makes me sick to see it i just think its degrading.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:28 PM
Puppy Dog

Hi,

I also agree with all above. I talk to my dog as if it was a child like "where is daddy" and so on, but for me they are still dogs and love to romp around in the dirt and play with their friends.. I must admit though I did put a bikini on Ashiki just out of fun, she looked as if she was being slaughtered. Paris Hilton, poor dog................
Susi
Old 08-31-2005, 12:30 PM
no touchy

When I was looking in a magazine a few months ago and it said if you aren't toting around a little dog (which they called an accesory), you better get started because it's what's in! You bet those freaking aholes got a letter from me!!
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:51 PM
Stare at my avatar....

I've seen this alot! Fine if you want to take your dog everywhere with you, and it's got all it shots, but I've seen ppl saying things like "Does the dog match with my outfit?". That's just ridiculous (sp?)!

It's all fun and games until someone loses and eyeball...then it's PING PONG!!!

Dain bramaged
Old 08-31-2005, 02:10 PM
Walks into Mordor

I admit, I'm a collar fiend when it comes to my dogs. I love buying them gorgeous collars (like they can tell the difference, LoL). But I didn't get my dogs just to dress them up! I think it's ridiculous to match your dog with your shoes. A lady at the humane society once told me a horror story of a woman who got rid of her apricot mini poodle because she changed her decor, and the dog no longer matched her house. Stupid.