Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Do I have reason?

My collies had their first litter of puppies on Valentine's day of 2008. I had a lady email me way before I even bred them wanting a male collie. She told me he was going to be used as a seizure alert dog and MAY be bred for seizure alert dogs. Well, he is now just a stud and nothing more. Everytime I see him (in person or in pics) he looks scared to death. I found a thread about this woman on Complaintsboard.com. I have never been to this woman's home, but according to this board, it is disgusting. I have recently learned that she never lets her puppies or maltese outside. They are able to use the bathroom in the house. She keeps puppy pads everywhere and the puppies and dogs are hit and miss. I had a very long discussion/argument with her about how she should not breed her dog every heat. I hope she is not going to. Her collie just had puppies in April and she is in heat now. I have been looking her up online and she has apparantly used many different names and has many different kennel names as well. I do not think I have enough evidence that she is harming my dog, but I really want to take him back. This lady has mental problems and does suffer from seizures. She is 36 and lives with her mother. I should truly be angry with her mother.. and I guess I am. I looked for 2 years for my collies. I made sure I picked two that were healthy, beautiful, and had great temperaments. They also have good pedigrees and come from very reputable breeders. I feel horrible that I sold this dog to her and now she is undoing all of the hard work that those breeders and I did in choosing a good pair of collies. Her female is very far from breed standard and is not what you would call a "healthy" collie. She did not have this female when I sold my collie to her. What can I do to get my collie back? Do I have grounds to do so?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Top Dog

What kind of a contract did you make the woman sign? That piece of paper is what's going to give you any ground to stand on.

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 09-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Resident fainting goat

When you sold her the collie,did you make her sign a contract?
did you contract say that you could take the dog back if its being mistreated?

call her animal control in her local area, have them take a look at the house. if they take her animals away, show them the contract that SHOULD say "if you cant keep the dog, the dog returns to ME the breeder".

if you didn't have a contract, then im sorry but you are SOL

you could try to, talk to her, deal with her, buy the dog back if you have to.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

probably nothing, next time be more careful

Next time you'll know that anybody that knows anything about service dogs will not be searching for a puppy in which to breed more service dogs. As soon as I heard that the woman would have been scratched off any potential list of every getting a dog from me.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
What kind of a contract did you make the woman sign? That piece of paper is what's going to give you any ground to stand on.
you beat me to it lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post

Next time you'll know that anybody that knows anything about service dogs will not be searching for a puppy in which to breed more service dogs. As soon as I heard that the woman would have been scratched off any potential list of every getting a dog from me.
Oh I misunderstood. i thought she said that the woman wanted a puppy to train to be HER service dog.
why would you sell to someone that plans to breed your dog, service dogs or not?

I have a heart condition, and Im getting a puppy, i would LOVE if this pup had the potential to get her CGC and be my service dog so that when I faint, she can learn what to do. but im not counting on it.
you can't tell if a puppy is going to be good enough to be a service dog... it takes a very special dog.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:11 PM
ACoops favorite

You probably do have a reason, but I don't know what you could do about it. Unfortunately, possession is 9/10 of the law, and that woman possesses the dog.

What you could do is call animal control in her area and put in an anonymous complaint.

Other then that, you're probably stuck. Those breeder's contracts rarely stand up in court, unfortunately.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:22 PM
ACoops favorite

I thought better of posting what I actually think on this one, so I deleted it in favor of keeping my mouth shut.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Puppy Dog

I do have a contract with her and it states
Buyer agrees that at NO time will this puppy be re-sold or given to a puppy mill, dog pound, broker, or any similar compound. If at any time the buyer needs to find a new home for the puppy/dog, the breeder MUST be notified for possible placement assistance or return of the puppy to the breeder at buyers cost.

Buyer agrees that this puppy is to become a member of the family and is to be treated with love, care, and respect. Buyer must give all health care and attention to the puppy necessary to become a valued family member. This includes food, socialization, and medical care normally incurred with a puppy.

Buyer agrees to notify seller if there is emergency medical care needed for the puppy that the buyer cannot financially afford for any medical treatment not covered by this guarantee. This is so the seller can assist the buyer in finding options to help cover needed care costs in buyers local area. The buyer agrees to return the puppy to the seller (at buyers cost) with no refund if the buyer feels he/she cannot afford to give the puppy the proper care.

The woman was looking for a collie to be her service dog and she said her mother may want to breed in the future for another service dog when this one was older.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post

Yep.

All you can do is chalk it up to a lesson learned and be a helluva lot more careful to whom you sell puppies to.