Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

He is a saddle.

Quote:
Blanket-Backs have extended saddle markings that go roughly to the area of their elbows, and give the appearance of a "blanket" rather than a "saddle" on their backs.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
Only in AKC. Black GSPs can be shown in the conformation ring in UKC.
Yep, but it seems like few GSPs show in UKC. AKC doesn't allow it because GSPCA doesn't.. members continue to vote against it for the stupidest reasons.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggin View Post
I had no idea that the ones without black were not proper. I've been wondering about that. Madisons great grandad (also our neighbor) breeds these dogs for hunting. And I think he shows too. He calls the ones with no black "lemon".

Some of his lemons...

This dog is almost completely white...

Lemon puppy.

I do think those are cute dogs, but both the UKC and AKC breed standards have this language:

Color
Tri-colored is preferred, white, black and tan. White may be the predominant color with black marking and tan trim; or black may be the predominant color with white marking and tan trim, such as a saddle back or blanket back. White with tan spots or white with black spots may be accepted. Fault any other color combination will be penalized when shown

When I look at bench show results from the UKC, the winners are always tri, and usually blanket back at that. Of course, hunters can use any color dog, and seem very intrigued by odd colors. I know there is a guy that hunts a bitch with one calico ear.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 09-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

Are lemon beagles Accepted? Ive seen Alot of them. A few even from reputable breeders that do healthtesting ad hunt.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy

BMD - Tri-Color only. DQ for absence of a white blaze or for a blaze too large, the presence of a "Swiss Kiss", and also for lack of white on all four paws....and although not related to color, a Berner would be DQ'd for unsure or aggressive behavior.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Squishy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmom777 View Post
I do think those are cute dogs, but both the UKC and AKC breed standards have this language:

Color
Tri-colored is preferred, white, black and tan. White may be the predominant color with black marking and tan trim; or black may be the predominant color with white marking and tan trim, such as a saddle back or blanket back. White with tan spots or white with black spots may be accepted. Fault any other color combination will be penalized when shown

When I look at bench show results from the UKC, the winners are always tri, and usually blanket back at that. Of course, hunters can use any color dog, and seem very intrigued by odd colors. I know there is a guy that hunts a bitch with one calico ear.
That is very interesting. I dont know why, but there is something about the lemons that I find intriguing. I dont think hes shown in years. In fact, his first breed was beagles.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Not a lurker

4D3C - he's a saddle back...Lacey is a blanket, if you look at her pictures the black comes all the way forward to her shoulders and partially down her back legs. When she was younger she didn't have all the lighter hair on the back legs and was black completely to her hocks.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Pemmies -
Red, Sable, Fawn, Black and tan - with or without white markings. Serious faults - whitelies, mismarks, bluies, black and white with no tan.

Malinois ~ FCI ~ Only fawn with black overlay and with black mask.
They can be - disallowed - black and possibly brindle, although I have heard conflicting ideas as to if a "brindle mal" is a mal or if it's a dutchie being falsely advertised.
When I was registering Nyx, the AKC papers listed quite a few color choices - fawn, sable, red, mahogany...I don't recall what else.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 09-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Not a lurker

What's the allowance with white spots? I've seen a lot of nice Mal puppies that have white toes or white on their chest?
Old 09-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampbell0304 View Post
What's the allowance with white spots? I've seen a lot of nice Mal puppies that have white toes or white on their chest?
AKC does allow a small white spot on the chest and small bits of white on the toes. I'm not sure about FCI.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team