Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-13-2009, 11:47 AM
swimming upstream

funny, since I have no connection to either breed--I don't see this as a "mine is better than yours" debate. I see it as someone trying to give info on a less known breed, and others who own GSD's as taking it to mean their breed isn't as good. And then sticks and stones being thrown around. I think PM's style of writing is misunderstood, and actually think she values the GSD as much as CAS.

Kind of funny--if you are on the outside of it.

Step back--take another look.

Or, feel free to debate if the hound dog would be an equally qualified herder, or guardian.....
Old 09-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Top Dog

Baxter--- people are upset that PM is saying things like GSD's aren't natural guardians, that they nip in the butt when someone is running away, etc.

To bring up that not all GSD's are of quality... uhhh duh??? That the breed has changed a lot since its creation? Yes, we know this.

Obviously when someone recommends a breed they aren't recommending the bottom 50%.... the bottom 50% are inconsistent, many of them might as well be other breeds. Obviously, the person looking for a dog has to look for a quality representative. And it's not like it's a crap shoot. If you know anything about what you're looking for and about dogs, it's not like you taking a huge gamble when you go buy a pup. If you get a dog from a good breeder with working lines... hell, you can usually tell just by looking at them what lines they are from...you'll get something with "natural guardian instincts" 95% (GUESS) of the time.

So if this is what the argument has come to- then yes, I agree, there are many crappily bred GSD's out there... 1:1000 ratio is exaggerated, I think... but I'm not even arguing that. It isn't hard to get a decent GSD if you know the first thing about them, and a decent GSD will fufill guardian purposes, and yes, lots of the good ones have GENETICALLY full grips.

Disclaimer: I am not putting down your breed. I have never met a specimen of your breed, or if I did I didn't know it. What I say is completely independent of anything to do with the CAS.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Not a lurker

Just keep in mind that to be quiet and thought of as a fool is far better than to open your mouth and prove it true.

Let the OP keep going on the "your breed's crap" rants...all it does is make them look foolish, especially when comparing a breed that most people never even heard of to a very popular and well loved breed. What a load of garbage.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampbell0304 View Post
Just keep in mind that to be quiet and thought of as a fool is far better than to open your mouth and prove it true.

Let the OP keep going on the "your breed's crap" rants...all it does is make them look foolish, especially when comparing a breed that most people never even heard of to a very popular and well loved breed. What a load of garbage.
exactly

like I said, i think much of all this crap is stemmed in the fact that she DOES NOT LIKE that GSDs are the do it all all stars and wants that for her breed.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:48 PM
CASSA

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
exactly

like I said, i think much of all this crap is stemmed in the fact that she DOES NOT LIKE that GSDs are the do it all all stars and wants that for her breed.
Sorry another assumption...
I have owned GSD and Ive worked with them as security.
They have saved my life
Why would I rescue them and place them if I did not like them?
If all of them are crap why did i put my life in one of their hands?

I challenge you to find one post where i stated I dont like them .In addition to be the jack of all trades dog .
You require instense work to keep the dog SEE GSD CLUB of AMERICA .

If I wanted my breed to be all things . Then I would promote them as such.
Look at my front page ? do u see anything? Pls FoxFire Farms USA Breed Founders of True***160; Central Asian Shepherd 716 751 6927
Look at my gallery 3000 pics FoxFire Farms Biography of a Professional Dog Breeder 13 years - Main Index - Powered by PhotoPost
Read my 10 reasons not to own one and then tell me that i want my dogs to be jacks of all trades.

Why would I turn down AKC acceptance and a movie role if I did not want my dogs in the spot lite. Please enligthen me how does one breed in a spot lite via a movie or Westmister not become popular by people who want the breed to do anything?

Being accused that the dog breed CASD are 1 trick ponys prompted me to prove they can do many things but NOT excell at it.
God for bid you read the posts.

I proved a LAb can do PP work . Now are labs promoted as PP dogs? NO
But can they do it? yes does that make a lab owner who does this a person who wants to change the WHOLE lab breed into jack of all trades?NO!!!!!!!!!!!

DOES THIS MAKE ME WANTING LABS TO BE PP DOGS CAUSE I POSTED A VIDEO?
Most of the CAS videos were NOT even my dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!
But they do do other things they lie around the house.

NOt one GSD personn has been able to QUOTE one thing from me that is inaccurate or hatefull to GSD. The fact that I recommended them is LEFT OUT EACH TIME !! The fact that i OWN them IS left out, The fact that I posted a Positive video is left out. The fact that I posted a good comments amoungest the truth is left out. The fact that others have posted here that GSD have the same issues i said is IGNORED WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cause they are not breeding a different breed,

Real dog lovers and experts love all dogs not one breed and they understand what affects one affects all. Sad some here are one track minded.
And if you think I am going to post pics of hte bad GSD you have a rude awakening coming. Cause all anyone any where in the USA has to do is step out their front door and see what the real world off line Chaz.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 09-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Not a lurker

Ok PM

Quote:
For every GOOD GSD the ONE you own or the few Dan owned their are 1000 fear biter insane GSDS out there. You want the public to beleive most GSDS are like yours

THEY ARE NOT.

I dont live in a bubble I lived in a Major city NYC I see what most see.
State your reference on this comment? Do you have one other than personal experience? No? Then it's RUDE and NOT TRUE...AND HATEFUL. Why was a comment like this necessary? Give me some proof to back that statement up, other than "just because I've had them" and then we can talk about it. Until then, consider this QUOTING YOU being rude and not giving any proof to your statement.

Lot's of people get good GSD's...mine is good, whether she came from a good breeder or not. She is not a fear-biter, she's actually been quoted as being "very stable" by my SchH trainer. Am I just lucky? I doubt it.
We have several people here with GSD's, and to say that 1 out of 1000 is good is horse crap. We have at least 4-5 people alone with GSD's and seems like they all got good ones...only coincidence?
Old 09-13-2009, 01:21 PM
CASSA

The fact that you have to state that your dog is not.
Shows this is about trying the love you have for your dog in with yourself.
You are not taking this objectivey.
I showed commentary from GSD rescue people proving the point .
Ignore it all you want it is there it is NOT "my opinion"

Ok I started working fund raising for NOrth Shore animal league at age 11. 1970'sGold medal from Perry Cuomo- went door to door every weekend with GSD Smokey or bingo. in NJ on dads weekend collecting funds for rescue.
Dad had 2 other GSD and Collie for me bribes for leaving mom.
here is the link.
Age 12 King the GSD used to guard a mafia person house made friends sticking my hands thru the iron gates. Every one feared that dog. I loved him.
One day I get out of school he followed me my scent and met me at the gates.
The bullies back off that day when KING took me home. I then watched his owner beat him for doing so. I snuck a steak out to him that nite in my pants.

Later he bred to a beagle lab mix and convinced mom to get me a pup.
1st Snoopy had him 3 wks and he got worms my mom makes nortans glazed donuts and tells me dad is taking him for walk. Dad takes pup back dont want kid bro's to get worms.
To this day I cant look at glazed donuts and not thin of him. I ran to front window and he was crying for me. I NEVER forgive mom for that.

I started cleaning kennels and walking dogs for North shore age 15, working adoptions age 17.Number one breed in rescue sheperds or shep X as put on cages.
Many of the GSD and many labs/pits that were in rescue from pup to adult had temp issues.
Later did training and my last rescue was from then Snoopy Shep mix .
1 up ear one down. herding behavior loved to swim lived 10 years . would herd the lawn mower.
WILL DO ANYTHING FOR a dog Fix.

High school Vet tech training every weekend 4 n 1 exchange program
Find link bay ridge animal hospital
begining of the 1980s. Held down GSDS that had epil and were put to sleep.
More White GSDS than tan this time due to movies.
GSD breeders breeding GSDS in apartment houses in bay ridge.
Loose GSD in packs in yards in Brooklyn all the time.
take allowance to feed cats and dogs.
Buy GSD book Korvette packing lot pet store age 14.
Due to buying every book on every dog My reading level grad high school at age 11.

Get engaged to first boyfriend different religon mom bribes me with Snickers GSD mix.
I move out and now cant find time for dogs need to earn money.
I volunteer at the spca on linden blvd and watch dogs get gassed mostly GSD dobes again based on movies.
I get security job working with dogs just to be with them all GSD but one dobe natural ears Satan. Patrol bklyn loading docks next to step dads lumbar company he got me in.
NO dogs for about 3 years while i worked 3 jobs at time.

Then meet hubby get Wolf hybrid as wedding gift instead of diamond.
Go thru Loss Prevention school and start working with GSD again.
Hubby wants me pregnant forces me to stop doing dangerous work.
So I work P/t grooming in pet store that sells GSD pups flat bush ave.
Go undercover with macys telecharge etc

Get new full time job as LP manager for huge store. Hire GSD as guard dogs to protect yard at nite . NO robberies untill the GSD left due to budget cuts.
used Nikko at nite wolf mix to check gates near cemetary.

During late 80's help close the very same pet shops in picket lines that as a Kid I would go in an play with the pups in the window.

This is just up to age 25 and im pooped.
I later became a CGC tester, ive handled White shepherds in ring, I travel the USA to Mexico for dog shows, i attended every trail sport thing i Can, I run 4 h , I teach handling,
I buy every book in a never ending search of knowledge.
I attend seminars by Fred lanting I spend a few hrs on tel with him.
I attend walkathons for SPCA and raise runds, I groomed for a few years.
Added on this I still assist in rescue, i have am friends with the top breeders in many breeds still learning, i study GSD and HD as it pertains to Penn Hip.
I buy sheep and attended herding trails.

Ok sorry putting 30 + years in a post has tired be beyond belief.

If more people understood the drive of a GSD and kept them as they should be we would NOT have he rescues we have or the changing of the breed.
i have xerox copy of a rare edition of the 1st GSD book by the Capt which includes the wolf dogs put in ( not in older editions_ ) he never invisioned the breed as a pet that did NOT WORK.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 09-13-2009, 01:31 PM
Top Dog

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 09-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Not a lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Exactly, pretty redundant isn't it...

It's your opinion unless it's cold hard fact...show me a FACT? You can't. Write me another page explaining how I"m not looking at it objectively, I used my own case to prove that 1/1000 isn't an accurate number...you're the one that quoted that, so back it up. You're using your own personal experience and touting it as facts, which it is not.

I'm done with this thread, if you cannot provide a fact (like the wolf-dog thing, lots of debate on that, never PROVEN as a fact, only speculated and talked about) then you aren't debating, you are the one driven by your own personal assessment rather than what it is and is not.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Resident fainting goat

that is all OPINION. absolutely no FACT

just like that 1/1000 thing is OPINION

and as for being kept as pets. yes, my GSD is a "pet" and she may not do the work described in a book about GSDs written God knows when, but she is mentally and physically stimulated.

wether its walks, agility, obedience, herding, schutz, etc.. etc.. GSDs "work" in MANY different ways. and being a PET is one of the most important jobs a dog could have.

and finding FACT in a book written a million years ago is like me saying that the earth is square because a book from back then says so lol