Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-31-2005, 01:05 AM
Top Dog

Default Pit Bull Hysteria

sigh......Ok, long story short; I was outside with my dad and we get to talking about dogs and how peanut can't be trusted off leash yet. I say its not wise to let her off leash until she can become dependable and trustworthy. Somehow, our neighbors dog (pit x) comes into our conversation. He says "well, they shouldnt be able to let that dog off leash if its a pit" . Wow. I start going on about how the media unjustly portrays pits as dangerous dogs and all the other stuff you wonderful people have taught me. He's not buying. Now, I'm planning on getting either a pit or bulldogge in a few years when i leave for college because I've always admired their looks and sense of pride. My question to you good people is this; how do I convince a man who is set in his ways that the media is a load of bullshit and that it's not the breed of the dog that matters, it's the individual dog itself? Any help and suggestions would be tremendously appreciated.

Thank You
Old 08-31-2005, 01:19 AM
Big German Shepherd

Some people are set in their ways and stubborn as mule-- but for those who are willing to learn something:

Sources. Sources are the way to go. Show him statistics-- everyone knows pit bulls statistically never bite. The reason they get so much attention is because whenever they do, it's fatal. And it's rare, but when they do you always see them with scars (proof of being beaten, hence making them mean). Even a video if you can (there was one in the News and Articles section about pit bulls and it portrayed them very well). Good luck.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:21 AM
Top Dog

Thanks. i was thinking of finding a stat sheet. I mean, aren't like yorkies and chis higher on the list?
Old 08-31-2005, 01:22 AM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedim
Thanks. i was thinking of finding a stat sheet. I mean, aren't like yorkies and chis higher on the list?
So are labs. Pit bulls are 3rd- from the bottom.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:23 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog2191
So are labs. Pit bulls are 3rd- from the bottom.

Exactly what I thought.They're just getting bad hype because of their breeding history. So not fair.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:25 AM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedim
Exactly what I thought.They're just getting bad hype because of their breeding history. So not fair.
Exactly. But they were used for hunting big game more than they were for fighting-- it's just peoples misconceptions.

And the media who constantly dog on the breed (no pun intended) doesn't help.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:27 AM
Top Dog

Yep. Didnt they used to be called "boar hounds"?
Old 08-31-2005, 07:03 AM
user not active

I actually see his point... But in my opinion no dog should be let off-leash. It only endangers the dog.

"Pit bulls" with their high prey drive should not be trusted off-leash.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:55 AM
Top Dog

I believe they were bred as game dogs, hunting and killing rats in a "pit" as people bet which dog would win. Then when dog fighting got popular they did get bred for that, so I don't think they should be trusted off leash. I should research, though I have seen pitbulls as jogging companions (that did not have a leash on)
Old 08-31-2005, 10:21 AM
Top Dog

Some people just "know what they know". Your best bet is to print out articles from the internet and show him those. As many facts as you can find. Some people don't care about facts though. So don't be surprised if he continues believing exactly what he wants to believe.