Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 08-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Updated pics of riley and got some questions!!

Riley is doing great!!! He did get worms again (previous thread ..thanks for the help) but this time it was round worms,and he did swallow a nice sized rock but passed it out and got treated for the round worms. Anyways we are seeing Riley humping objects..toy box, pillows ,blankets. Is this normal? should we be concern? I have read online that the aussie bread does have as much desire as other breeds when it come to sexual activity. Is this true? and should we think about getting him neutered? I wasnt planing on it but if he starts to peeing on everything or trying to get out of the house then i might ,although he is not doing any of these thing right now. Please correct me if im wrong on that topic above^^^^^ Any suggestion thoughts opinions will be greatly appreachiated!!!!! Thankyou
Old 08-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Puppy Dog

One more question... my vet asked if we wanted to get Riley Lyme diease shot its in a series of 2 different shots I never was aware of this shot???? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I don't know, don't care - I just want zee puppeh!!!!!!!!!!!

Now please.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Puppy Dog

Thanks ......
Old 08-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Puppy Dog

Clockwork....10pm everynight!!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:32 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

He is CUTE! I would just redirect him when he humps. Call him over and ask for an acceptable behaviour, click and treat.

I would wait until he is at least 2 before neutering him.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 08-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
He is CUTE! I would just redirect him when he humps. Call him over and ask for an acceptable behaviour, click and treat.

I would wait until he is at least 2 before neutering him.
Why 2 years? sorry im kinda new to this Allthough i have always had a dog im trying to do things the right way with Riley!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Twin 2.0

2 years is when dogs reach mental and physical maturity; it's usually pretty beneficial to allow that, unless they're being such pests by 8 months that it's for everyone's sanity. Puppydog's advice is good!

He's looking good! How are his eyes and hearing doing? How old is he now? I'd expect to start seeing more coat soon and his ears are HUGE! LOL!
Old 08-28-2009, 07:33 PM
Top Dog

He is beautiful!

As far as neutering, that's up to you. It might help the humping it might not, some dogs stop as soon as they are neutered and plenty of neutered dogs hump too so I would not neuter if that was your only reason.

As far as age, again it's up to you. If you are completely confident he will not impregnate another dog (you will go the extra mile to ensure this) then I do think it is healthiest to wait until maturity (about 2 years old) to neuter. That way the body gets to make of use of all the right hormones while it is growing. This allows his body to fully mature as it is meant to and prevents some health problems. Fixing him before he gets more elderly prevents other illnesses. Marking in the house is not as common in intact dog as it would be in cats (in cats it's almost a guarantee) so I would not really expect it just because the dog is intact. If he starts treat him like a housebreaking puppy and start right away so a habit does not form.

Humping is normal but should be discouraged as I've heard dogs can hurt themselves (can't get "it" back in). I agree with redirecting him when or when he looks like he might hump. If he never gets to do it (you always stop him almost immediately) he will find it less enjoyable.

I would not personally get the lyme shot for my dog unless I hiked all the time in an area full of ticks and had a dog with a coat that made it difficult to find ticks. So long as you give him a really good check after going into a field or in the woods you should be pretty safe. I would not risk the vaccine (but I m not a huge fan of vaccines in the first place).

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
2 years is when dogs reach mental and physical maturity; it's usually pretty beneficial to allow that, unless they're being such pests by 8 months that it's for everyone's sanity. Puppydog's advice is good!

He's looking good! How are his eyes and hearing doing? How old is he now? I'd expect to start seeing more coat soon and his ears are HUGE! LOL!
Thanks for the response! I was wating to here from you!!! Everything seems good! His hearing is very responsive!!!! And he is always chasing after little bugs all the time! So i guess his eyes are ok? Him and my son are always playing together!!! So what do you mean by seeing more coat? He is starting to get his adult hair near his tail and im seeing a little bit of brown color in some spots. By the way Riley was born on May 5 2009. So almost 4 months! And yes he does have some big Ears!!!!