Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-31-2005, 03:00 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom
From the couple that I've dealt with:

They give off the impression of bear crossed with a cat, very light on the tips of their paws. Also, very headstrong and willfull. They will challange you nonstop if they think they can get away with it. The one that I see every day has bursts of energy, but also loves to lie around for the better part of the day. Can be playful, but they've got a powerful swipe. I've gotten knocked around before when he was excited about going home and it wasn't pleasant. Strong pullers as well. Moderate-high protecters IIRC. I'm those who have owned them can tell you more of the day to day quirks.

But, from what it sounds like you've been going through with Rocky, so long as you lay down the law early and keep up on the training, you should do fine.
That one's name wouldnt happen to be Aki would it?
Old 08-31-2005, 04:45 PM
Ol'Dogger

I have a friend that raises and shows his akita's. They are exactly as the breed standard says they are. They bond to their family. They are considered one of the guarding breeds. A grown akita is quite formidable if nothing but looks alone. I would go to a very,very reputable breeder as temperment problems can be an issue. Do not expect alot out of them training wise. They are obedient on their terms.They will more or less ignore everything and everybody unless its gives them a problem challenged they can be quite bad. Females tend to be more the protectors than males. They are great dogs as long as you understand there typical asian breeds personality very similar to a chow or sharpei. Socialization is important but that does not mean it will make the dog friendly but more to make him tolerate people and other animals. They instinctively do not like cats. Males can go over 100 lbs. I have known many nice akitas it is NOT there nature to be aggressive, aloofness is there nature." Don't bother me and I could care less about you",so to speak. The Pintos are the prettiest.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:48 PM
Big German Shepherd

Hm... doesn't sound like a dog that I'd like to own-- but I'd like to give 'im a shot. They sure sound independent... I don't want it to be SO independent to where it's cat-like... I mean that's why I want a dog.

Thanks for your input everyone. More is welcome.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:54 PM
Twin 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyTank
That one's name wouldnt happen to be Aki would it?
Actually, it would. We've been working on walking "pretty" and he's getting better at it.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Top Dog

hey bigdog, why dont you list the things you want from a future dog. I know you have learned a lot from raising Rocky, reading books and talking/asking wuestions/reading posts on here and other sites...dont doubt YOU at all. but if you list all of the different things you do AND dont want in a dog we could all list off what WE think are the closest matches. I.E. I want a dog that will bark and protect my home, I can trust off leash, is smart and easy to train. I dont want a dog that will fight every command or learn them but only obey when it feels like it, I dont want it to be lazy or a digger, etc etc etc.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:33 PM
Big German Shepherd

That's a good idea. Thanks panzer.

Here goes, here's what I want:

1) Don't care about shedding
2) Medium-large-sized dog
3) Nothing TOO active- wouldn't mind if it was pretty mellow and lazed around the house either
4) It would be nice if the dog could do some guarding if not, that's alright.
5) I don't know how EASY a German shepherd is to train compared to other dogs. But it was very easy for me to train Rocky. He LOVES our little obedience training sessions. So anything that's pretty smart and easily trained will do- I'd be willing to work a little harder with that if necessary though.
6) I want a somewhat independent dog- one that won't bawl it's eyes out if I leave for classes (this is for when I get somewhat older, possibly college).

Uh, I guess that's good enough. Any suggestions?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:20 PM
Kelpiefied

AKitas do fantastically with modern training methods, we had one that earned it's CD before it was hit by a car after chasing a cat across the road
But, they are very trying dogs, and if you had problems with a shepherd I would avoid and Akita at all costs.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:26 PM
Big German Shepherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridey_01
AKitas do fantastically with modern training methods, we had one that earned it's CD before it was hit by a car after chasing a cat across the road
But, they are very trying dogs, and if you had problems with a shepherd I would avoid and Akita at all costs.
As my very first dog. But with my experience and reading up on different books, I really think I could handle one. Only problem is, do I want one?
Old 08-31-2005, 10:38 PM
Manchesters

Default Huh???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridey_01
If modern training methods worked so fantastically, what in the name of Satan was the dog doing running loose chasing a cat across a street??????????????????????????? Didn't the modern training work in teaching the RECALL?????? (click,click, click)
Old 08-31-2005, 10:50 PM
Big German Shepherd

Good point, Manchesters...