Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-30-2005, 09:23 PM
Big German Shepherd

Default Akitas!

Tell me everything you know about Akitas. It's a breed that I've considered getting in the future.

I've done some research on the breed but from what I've learned about German shepherds nothing beats experience-- since I don't have an Akita- I'd like to ask those of you have owned one, dealt with one in the past, etc.

What are they like? Quirks and personalities? Anything ya got!

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2005, 09:30 PM
Twin 2.0

From the couple that I've dealt with:

They give off the impression of bear crossed with a cat, very light on the tips of their paws. Also, very headstrong and willfull. They will challange you nonstop if they think they can get away with it. The one that I see every day has bursts of energy, but also loves to lie around for the better part of the day. Can be playful, but they've got a powerful swipe. I've gotten knocked around before when he was excited about going home and it wasn't pleasant. Strong pullers as well. Moderate-high protecters IIRC. I'm those who have owned them can tell you more of the day to day quirks.

But, from what it sounds like you've been going through with Rocky, so long as you lay down the law early and keep up on the training, you should do fine.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Big German Shepherd

Thanks for the info Zoom. I hear they're VERY domineering-- not for a weak owner... and from reading the Monks' puppy books and my own experiences I REALLY feel I could deal with another shepherd puppy easily.

Dunno about an Akita though-- they seem a little too much for me.

Anybody else got any info?
Old 08-31-2005, 07:17 AM
Walks into Mordor

Our neighbor has an Akita that we dogsit on occassion. Jake is definately aloof: while generally friendly, he sometimes seems indifferent to human attention. He's not responsive to obedience commands, but is generally well-behaved. On a sidenote, Jake is not really a guard dog, either. He gets along great with the neighborhood children, and doesn't object when strangers come into his yard. Strange dogs are iffy, there are some he likes and some he doesn't like, and you can never tell which it will be. Cats are definately a no-no: he managed to kill a stray cat who wandered too close.

Our neighbor does say that Jake is the gentlest Akita he's ever owned (he has a real love for the breed). He says that his previous Akitas were much more "focused," protective and definately a challenge. Even Jake, mellow as he is for an Akita, tests his boundaries from time to time.

I wouldn't recommend them as a first time dog for anyone, or for people who like to have a "dog dog". Personalitywise, Akitas are more like overgrown cats.
Old 08-31-2005, 12:52 PM
Big German Shepherd

Ah, is that right? Are they THAT independent?

It was either an Akita, one of the mastiffs, or an American Bulldog I was looking into...
Old 08-31-2005, 01:16 PM
Top Dog

BigDog, I have had quite a few experiences with Akitas throughout my vet clinic years and I will say that they are very stubborn and have a mind of their own. Almost every Akita we saw in the clinic had to be muzzled. I am not saying that the breed is neccesarily aggressive, but I am saying that when taken out of their element they may view situations as a challenge. They are a very dominant breed to say the least. I never met a loving or friendly Akita, they would either pretend I wasn't there or try to bite, but never a friendly tail wag! I have never owned one though and my experiences come from working in a vet clinic-a place where dogs don't like to go anayway, so I am sure I am biased. I do think they are beautiful dogs though!
Old 08-31-2005, 01:17 PM
Twin 2.0

Be the newest Fila owner! Well, whatever you do, look long and hard at any and all information and talk to as many people who own that particular breed as possible. You'll eventually get a general idea of what they should be.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:28 PM
Big German Shepherd

I hear a lot about Akitas being aggressive and muzzled but seriously, after raising Rocky I REALLY think I could do it.

If I socialized him A LOT early-- something I failed to do because my dad was working 24/7- the only thing I could do for Rocky was invite as many people as I could over, he still fear barks (working on it).

Also, in the Monks' book I hear it's very important to start HANDLING Rocky. They have a very nice approach to start doing so when they're a puppy- something I failed to do with Rocky and am once again having to desensitize him-- if I did this with an Akita, it would make it A LOT easier for a veterinarian to handle him, add the socialization in, and there you have it: a dog at the vet's office WAGGING his tail.

But I mean, I REAALLLY learned a lot from raising him and especially after reading the Monks of New Skete book, "The Art of Raising a Puppy".

About the Filas though, they seem like a lot of fun but I don't think I'm ready for one-- after owning only ONE dog.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:31 PM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog2191
Ah, is that right? Are they THAT independent?
Yes they are. Jake, while well behaved, almost never "asks" for attention from anyone, not even his owner. Jake is not aggressive, but when he's given attention, it's like he's thinking "You're petting me? *shrug* Ok, whatever you want to do."

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they don't feel anything for their owners. Jake does get depressed when my neighbor is gone for a long period of time. It's just that this breed of dog does not normally solicit affection. That was the main reason why my neighbor was attracted by the Akita breed in the first place: he works long hours and wanted a dog that wouldn't get upset by being alone a lot.

If you want an Akita, great! I wanted one for the longest time, and I think they're gorgeous. I'm sure you would be able to make it non-agressive as long as you work hard on socialization and handling. Just don't expect to end up with a dog that's as responsive to you or as trainable as a GSD.

Last edited by Gempress; 08-31-2005 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:57 PM
Big German Shepherd

Yeah, I understand. And I think that Rocky's NOT affectionate-- I wonder what an Akita would be like.