Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-08-2009, 11:09 AM
CASSA

Exclamation GSD 1936 Germany Video

Sent to me via u tube by a pp trainer of mine.

YouTube - Schutzhund in Germany 1936

Great dogs..

YouTube - Real Schutzhund c2
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 09-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Top Dog

Real heroes !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Puppy Dog

What an awesome video!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Top Dog

What fun. They were so much better looking, stronger looking dogs than so many today. I like the lesser angulation. There were even some Dobes in there. Thanks for sharing.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Twin 2.0

Thank you for sharing that! That was a fantastic video, wow.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Top Dog

I looove old videos like that. That is so neat!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

Awesome vid! They had prong collars baxck then? Awesome!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Top Dog

I saw a lot of bad bites in those clips. Bites near the hand, coming off and rebiting- none of that is good and would be major points off in scoring.

I enjoyed the jumping clips though, the wall vs the A frame and higher hurdles than used today. A lot of real nice looking dogs too, there was one big black one in the 1st vid that was very well put together.

Doberluv, you can find GSDs that are built like that nowadays, you just have to look for them. The people who care more about temperament and working ability and less about how they look will often produce dogs that are less angulated and smaller than the ones people are used to seeing.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Not a lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post

Doberluv, you can find GSDs that are built like that nowadays, you just have to look for them. The people who care more about temperament and working ability and less about how they look will often produce dogs that are less angulated and smaller than the ones people are used to seeing.
We were discussing this in chat last night.
I'm asked frequently if Lacey is purebred because she is not very big. She's within standard but at the bottom of it. She's 24 inches at the shoulder and 65 lbs. She is purebred, I have a 10+ generation pedigree on her (well beyond 10, can track her all the way back to Horand of course)
She's also not very angulated in the rear at all, and is rather normal looking, no twist when she walks, not down on the hocks, etc. The working folks I know think she's nice in structure, the show people don't. There's as big of a gap between WL and SL GSD's as night and day sometimes.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Top Dog

I agree, it's neat to see this for nostalgic reasons, but overall i get to work with better everytime we train. My 10 year old can clear a meter jump with ease and runs up the a-frame for fun. Those well built dogs didn't disappear, they just aren't VA rated show winners producing 300 puppies a year that everyone talks about as being used to "better the breed".

one thing I did like was that the atmposphere seemed to be one where everyone was there for fun, not so much ego and money. But i'm sure those aren't new to our era either.