Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Default Chew-Proof Crate Pad and Cover???

Anyone know whereto get a chew-proof crate pad and/or Crate Cover?

The poodles like to pull stuff into their crates, or chew on the drywall which usually ends up with me pulling the crates into the middle of the room before I leave for the day.

Was wondering is anyone has ideas on crate covers that could go around but be chew-proof? Also chew-proof pad to put into Lincolns crate.

Thank you!
Old 08-31-2009, 11:23 PM
Behavior Nerd

Call me mean or crazy or whatever, but my dogs don't get bedding in their crates until they will leave it alone.

Maggie still isn't left with bedding if crated because anxiety makes her chew it up, but she's rarely crated so her crate usually has a bed in it so it's comfy when she goes there for a nap.

Ziva didn't get bedding until 14mo because she ate it before then. When she is crated now, she can be given a regular crate pad with no troubles, even for a number of hours.

Kes has one blanket he gets only at certain times; when I'm gone all day it's an empty crate because he shreds things when he gets bored of the chewies in the crate, but when he's crated in the car or at training he gets the fleece blankie he doesn't chew for some reason. Towels will be shredded, as will pads at this point.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:01 AM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Cider ate the middle of her bed out at 8 or so months. After that she got bedding only if someone was watching her. Like crated in the room with the TV and someone watching it..

She was like 2 when I gave her freedom of my room.. and maybe 6 months after she left crate bedding alone after testing her for longer periods of time.

Smudge has never even looked at his bedding let alone done bad things to it so he's always had nicer bedding.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 09-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Top Dog

Unfortunatly I haven't found one yet. I pretty much cured Ivan of chewing his bedding on the way home from a show one time. The snot thought he could rip up his sheets while in the back seat. So I pulled over and pulled it all out. Man did he ever give me a dirty look. But once in a great while he will try it again and I will pull it back out for about a half hour.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Top Dog

I haven't bought them, but people were raving about how tough Primo Pads are on another board awhile ago.

Vinyl dog floor protection pads- Primo Pads
Old 09-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Not a lurker

I can't think of anything that's chew PROOF...but maybe some rubberized flooring or something that would be harder to get at the edges (fit it to the crate as close as you can so they can't pull the edges up) might work? Anything soft and cuddly will be chewable.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
I have used every single type of crate pad and bed there is, I think. Danes are (typically) very dedicated chewers as babies – and by babies I mean until they’re two years old – so I went through dozens of pads and blankets. The corgis are a LOT easier. Here’s what I’ve learned:

- Kuranda or PVC “hammock” style beds are fantastic if you have a crate that is tall enough to fit them, or if you want a bed for the dog that is not inside the crate. If you go to a typical breeder’s house to look at a litter of puppies, she’s usually got a bunch of new or newish blankets and pads or twin-size comforters in with them, and one or two super-old and beat-up hammock-style beds. The reason those beds look so bad is that they’ve actually lasted; those blankets that they’re lying on are going to be a casualty of the first weekend they’re in crates of their own.

- Be VERY careful with anything that is stuffed, until you are absotively sure that your puppy is not a bed-chewer. Most of the time ingested polyfill is not going to be any big deal; it just comes out the back end in a comical fashion. But every once in a while things get scary and you’re looking at surgery. It’s really best to avoid stuffing until you know your puppy.

- I’ve used FELTED wool blankets with great success (get a big blanket at Goodwill and wash repeatedly on hot until it shrinks and thickens) and I’ve also had success with beds that are two-sided sherpa (fake sheepskin). For some reason it’s a lot harder for puppies to get a hole started in fake sheepskin and they don’t tend to go digging for a seam in the same way that they do for the thinner fabrics. A genius old breeder told me to spray the four sides of any bed with aerosol antiperspirant, because it’s safe but puppies hate the taste. So far that’s worked for me every time, as long as it’s fake sheepskin. Anything made of cotton or poly and they just find those seams irresistible. My favorite beds of this type are made by White Dog Bone Company. I only see sheepy/fur combinations on its site, but I’ve bought double-sheep pads from them at shows.
Off of a blog. RufflySpeaking, if you want to check it out for other great information.