Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-01-2009, 03:01 AM
Big Dog

Even with puppies, the shot schedule generally runs 8 wks, 12 weeks, 16 weeks.
Some start earlier, but the shots are done 3-4 weeks apart, not 2 weeks.

From annual on it is all personal preference as there are many different studies/beliefs out there.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
IMO, you should find a vet that is willing to titer test for you.
This year my vet mentioned that Auggie will be due next year and I said I knew we had to do rabies to keep legal with the county, but I was thinking about titer testing for everything else. I wasn't sure what his response would be, so I was totally prepared to have a debate or even a fight about it... and he just said "Sure, we can titer!" I love my vet SO much.

The titer test will basically tell you if a dog is still in the "safe" levels of immunity - either through the immunity built by injections or by a naturally developed immunity to the disease. If the dog is NOT in those levels, then the dog does need a booster to continue to be protected. But annual boosters, nope... not necessary IMO.
You might have to call around a bit to find a vet who is willing to do this for you, or you might be pleasantly surprised with your vet. =>
It sounds like you have a REALLY good vet! Thats one to stay with.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Quote:
Does anyone know of any articles on developing inital immunity to dhpp?
I can't cite you a specific article, just what's been put together from my immunology classes and the like.

Basically when the mother gives birth, her first milk for the first 36 hours or so is called 'colostrum'. This is fundamentally different from regular milk in that it has a whole mess of antibodies in it (a few IgM, but more importantly a whole lot of IgG).

IgM isn't really an issue, as it's a broad kind of antibody, but IgG is a very specific antibody and can drastically interfere with the vaccination procedure. The reason for this is the puppy has its own IgM floating around in its immune system and it needs those to come into contact with the antigens (virus, bacteria, whatever) you're vaccinating with so it can convert to memory cells/IgG of its own (thus giving long-term immunity).

But if the mother's IgG antibodies come into contact with the antigens first, then they'll just bind to the antigen and have it killed before the puppy's own antibodies get a shot at it. Thus the vaccine may not 'take' and you have to do it over again to make sure.

IgG has a half-life of about 3 months, thus why there's one giving as late as 16 weeks (and why the rabies is given at that time as well). You could theoretically hold off on all vaccinations until that point BUT that doesn't work in practice because the puppy needs to start building immunity right away since it has a limited amount of its mom's IgG. And if those are depleted, then the puppy/cat/calf/whatever is susceptible to everything the environment throws at it.

Thus, the reasoning for booster shots.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 09-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Living on Doberman Drive

Do you got to a holistic vet?
AHVMA - American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association
If not, I think you might find their practice helpful for you