Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 08-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Not a lurker

Default My son wants a cat?!

He's wanted a kitten for a long time, since he was 3 or so. We never could have one because I KNEW Smokey was not cat friendly (accident with neighbors cat) and in the light of re-homing Lily (which I've found her a good home but they are waiting to move in their house and be rid of their roommate so she's staying here until then, even offered to give me money to hang onto her, which I refused but it was a nice gesture) we are considering letting him have a kitten, probably for his birthday (October) or Christmas (if it's X-mas we'll wait until sometime in January to look and give him needed supplies for a kitty at X-mas)

I intend to watch Craigslist or go to a shelter for a kitten, it's not something I care if it's purebred or not and probably a shelter because I want it spayed/neutered - I'm not dealing with a cat pissing on my furniture because it want's to go get some, lol.

Obviously Jasper is good with cats, as DrMom said and I'm guessing Fran has a cat? So I'm not concerned so much with him, but Lacey I don't think has ever been around a cat (at least not at my house) we have a good solid "leave it" with her but I also have concerns on whether or not she'll be ok with a cat, as I don't have anyway to test her on this. So how do you go about testing? I'd love to see how she does with one before committing to such a thing, I don't want my sons heart broken because my dog killed or hurt his cat.

Now to be honest, I don't like cats a whole lot, and I'm allergic to them. Long hairs seem to be better than the short hairs for me so that's where I get to make the decision - it will be long haired. I say "it" because we haven't decided on male or female. I can tolerate the long hair (i.e. it doesn't make me sneeze and itch myself to death, just minor allergy). I have no expectations of my son to be the caretaker of said cat/kitten obviously but it will be good to teach him responsibility considering I'll be there to make sure the animal is taken care of.

I tried to convince him a puppy would be better and easier to integrate, but he wants a cat, seriously, who turns down a puppy for a cat? No idea why but it's been a long time and he's not giving up on this. I've finally broken down to a "we'll see" instead of a "no we can't have a cat because..."

Also, I know that black dogs usually have lower adoption rates, is it the same with cats? For "just a pet" I'd like to find one that really needs a home, though I have to say I'm more drawn to a white/siamese looking cat personally. I haven't asked my son because I don't want to get his hopes really high and find out that Lacey won't be nice to a kitty and he can't have one.

So what do you guys think, can it be done?
Old 08-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Just try me..

I would meet the cat and hold it a bit first to test your allergies. I speak from experience, for not just the length of the hair.

Any older cat will need a home. And just like a dog get one that appeals to your family and will be a good fit. Cats are as individual as dogs are.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampbell0304 View Post
He's wanted a kitten for a long time, since he was 3 or so. We never could have one because I KNEW Smokey was not cat friendly (accident with neighbors cat) and in the light of re-homing Lily (which I've found her a good home but they are waiting to move in their house and be rid of their roommate so she's staying here until then, even offered to give me money to hang onto her, which I refused but it was a nice gesture) we are considering letting him have a kitten, probably for his birthday (October) or Christmas (if it's X-mas we'll wait until sometime in January to look and give him needed supplies for a kitty at X-mas)

I intend to watch Craigslist or go to a shelter for a kitten, it's not something I care if it's purebred or not and probably a shelter because I want it spayed/neutered - I'm not dealing with a cat pissing on my furniture because it want's to go get some, lol.

Obviously Jasper is good with cats, as DrMom said and I'm guessing Fran has a cat? So I'm not concerned so much with him, but Lacey I don't think has ever been around a cat (at least not at my house) we have a good solid "leave it" with her but I also have concerns on whether or not she'll be ok with a cat, as I don't have anyway to test her on this. So how do you go about testing? I'd love to see how she does with one before committing to such a thing, I don't want my sons heart broken because my dog killed or hurt his cat.

Now to be honest, I don't like cats a whole lot, and I'm allergic to them. Long hairs seem to be better than the short hairs for me so that's where I get to make the decision - it will be long haired. I say "it" because we haven't decided on male or female. I can tolerate the long hair (i.e. it doesn't make me sneeze and itch myself to death, just minor allergy). I have no expectations of my son to be the caretaker of said cat/kitten obviously but it will be good to teach him responsibility considering I'll be there to make sure the animal is taken care of.

I tried to convince him a puppy would be better and easier to integrate, but he wants a cat, seriously, who turns down a puppy for a cat? No idea why but it's been a long time and he's not giving up on this. I've finally broken down to a "we'll see" instead of a "no we can't have a cat because..."

Also, I know that black dogs usually have lower adoption rates, is it the same with cats? For "just a pet" I'd like to find one that really needs a home, though I have to say I'm more drawn to a white/siamese looking cat personally. I haven't asked my son because I don't want to get his hopes really high and find out that Lacey won't be nice to a kitty and he can't have one.

So what do you guys think, can it be done?
as the black thing, its DEFINETLY the same with kittens. the black ones are often the LAST ones to get a home and often the ones PTS because they kind of fade into the background and dont catch the eyes of people

as for getting a kitten, i think its a FANTASTIC idea. kittens are loving and playful, but aren't the same crazy amount of responsibility as a puppy. my aunt bought a kitten for her neice and its working out perfectlly, her little girl feeds her in the morning, cleans the litter box and brushes her and thats basically all there is to it.

as for allergies, here are some tips my mom uses

- wash the cats bedding OFTEN
- if you have carpet, vacuum
- febreze makes a great smelling airspray that is also an allergen reducer

brush the kitty once a day, and they also have moist cat bath wipes that help with cat dander

keep the kitty off the furniture, cats LOVE couches and stuff. but giving them their own place to hide (high and away from the dogs) it will soon become their favorite place

CAT TREES = <3 they make some great modern easy to clean ones and its always been a favorite of cats in our house

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Not a lurker

I'm kind of partial to the look of this one
Adopt a Siamese: Ziggy: Petfinder

or this one

Adopt a Domestic Long Hair: Sassy: Petfinder

The 2nd one reminds me of the cat I had growing up (long haired as well) which I loved to death. She was vocal but not annoying, cuddly but not smothering...

Then again, it's up to my boy, but a dark haired (or black) would be better because my furniture is dark. Personality counts for more than anything really.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:39 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

lol.. Get your cat used to baths If your allergic.. Sounds crazy But my aint has allergies and it helps if she bathes him every now and then.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:45 PM
Not a lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
- if you have carpet, vacuum
- febreze makes a great smelling airspray that is also an allergen reducer
Can't I skip a step there and vacuum the cat? I do it to Lily, she doesn't seem to mind the brush part of the vacuum too much. I am also a Febreze-***** and soak my house in it to begin with, so that will help.

Ok cat people, what's a good cat litter to use? I cannot stand the smell of cat pee at all so I need something that smells decent and covers that nasty smell.
Hubby agreed to getting Matt a kitty for his birthday so we should have a new addition soon.
Also, what kind of stuff do cats need? I understand a cat box, litter, dishes, food...what am I missing here? A new puppy, easy! A cat? No clue, lol.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:48 PM
Very Food Agressive

Toys! The little 99 cent ones are really popular. If you hate cat smell, consider a litter box from Booda, they have mini "hallways" that help block smell the litter can't block. A collar if you're worried about the kitten getting out anywhere and a belled cat is much easier to find when they're playing hide and seek with you.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:48 PM
Top Dog

A scratching post.........or if you have room, a cat tree is wonderful and has material that the cat llikes to scratch.
Cat nip to attract the cat to the tree or scratching post in the beginning.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:55 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACampbell0304 View Post
Can't I skip a step there and vacuum the cat? I do it to Lily, she doesn't seem to mind the brush part of the vacuum too much. I am also a Febreze-***** and soak my house in it to begin with, so that will help.

Ok cat people, what's a good cat litter to use? I cannot stand the smell of cat pee at all so I need something that smells decent and covers that nasty smell.
Hubby agreed to getting Matt a kitty for his birthday so we should have a new addition soon.
Also, what kind of stuff do cats need? I understand a cat box, litter, dishes, food...what am I missing here? A new puppy, easy! A cat? No clue, lol.
Well here is my list
- litter box for kittens usually start from low normal ones and work your way to to the hooded ones
- litter (my fave is precious cat ultra premium cat litter) Amazon.com: Precious Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter: Home & Garden
- Bowls/ mat for under bowls
- Wet food
- CHEAP toys lol most are like $1, little furry mice, bell balls thingy, crinkly bits, cat teaser toy
- cat scratching post/cat tree thingy.. amazon has some great cheap ones
Amazon.com: Armarkat Cat scratching post condo B2501: Home & Garden
- Breakaway collar and tag with bell. if the cat is going to be indoor only. i always write "if im alone/outside, im lost!". the bell just gives birds and such a chance to get away before the cat kills them lol
- Brush, a good slicker brush usually does the trick plus a softer brush
- kitty wipes, (baby wipes work fine 2) like giving ur kitty a bath but without risk of injury lol cats usually like the wipes
- Nail trimmer, the earlier they get used to it, the better.
- LASER POINTER!!! lol nuff said'

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:58 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

Dont use clump litter.. SOme dogs like to snack on it and it can be dangerous.