Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Papillon Fancier

Other nicknames for paps:

"Is that a long haired chihuahua?!"
Yappy Pappy
Oh and paps.

Lol. For the longest time I coudn't figure out what PON stood for. I thought it was a different breed. :P How do you say that?

Chinese Cresteds:

"WhatTheHeckIsThat?!"
"Can I touch it?"
"Did you shave it?"

Proud Papillon fancier sinse '05. Cujo, my 4 yr old, heart dog, and River, my 12 month old, show dog/ princess.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Let it be

Border Collies
"A head ache"
Old 01-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Sport Model Pug

Pug
Mops
Carlin
Chinese Pug
Mops
Puggu
Dutch Bulldog
Mini Mastiff
Foo Dog

That's about all i can think of.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:44 PM
Taxiderpy

Borzois =

Russian Wolfhounds

Hairy Greyhound

Flat Collie

Starved Collie

Anteater

Pony

Magical Narnian Llama Creature

These are all things that people have called my dog.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Top Dog

Yorkies were already covered

Chow Chows are:
Chows
Puffy Lion Dogs
and a little boy once thought Aesop was a lion..

Ginger is a poodle/chihuahua mix, but her old owner wrote her breed mix as a Poochi once in awhile... we refuse to do so though Unless in jest.

I don't think there is a formal classification for Grimmy, but we call him a
Generic Brown Dog and a Muppet
Old 01-07-2010, 12:30 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
I don't think there is a formal classification for Grimmy, but we call him a Generic Brown Dog and a Muppet
I'd say Grimmy looks like he could be long eared ewok. You know, from the other side of Endor.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Professional Nerd

Malinois are also known as the Mechelse Herder, Mechelaar, Chien de Berger Belge, and Belgian Shepherd Dog. If somebody can guess the breed right, I am impressed. Harry has been identified as the correct breed like 3 times in his 5 1/2 years. It's often butchered, too. I hear even dog savvy people calling them "Mal-Annoys." While being an accurate description of the breed, it's not the correct way to pronounce it.

AKC is the only registry that I know of that separates them into different breeds. Everybody else registers them as varieties of one breed. That makes more sense, as the different types produce each other. Harry has several longhaired half-siblings. Every other country in the world, and UKC here in the states, would register those dogs as Tervuren. It makes everything a paperwork nightmare. Working Terv & Groen breeders would love to tap into the longhairs from some of the Malinois bloodlines, but they can't in this country unless they go UKC only or drop registration altogether. There is even something with importing dogs that are registered elsewhere. I've heard that they have to be a certain number of generations of one variety before AKC will accept them.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Top Dog

that's because americans & the AKC know more about other countries' dogs than they do
Old 01-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
that's because americans & the AKC know more about other countries' dogs than they do

From what I gathered, they started out as one breed registered as Belgian Sheepdog. Politics and snobbery within the club got the standard changed to fit the black dogs only. That is why the Groenendaels are called Belgian Sheepdogs in AKC. The Tervuren and Malinois people got their own clubs later, and were recognized as separate breeds. The fourth Belgian, the Laekenois, is enrolled in
AKC's FSS service but their numbers are still low. Perhaps someday all four will be recognized by AKC.

Going back to all one breed is very controversial. One thing that sucks is that if they did, only one would represent the breed in group. I guess AKC doesn't allow separate varieties in group anymore. Hardly seems fair that American Cockers still get to be represented by color, and the Belgians couldn't have their varieties. If it weren't for that, I think that getting the breed clubs to recombine would be easier.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2dogs View Post
West Highland White Terriėr/Terrier/Terror
Westie

Then the generic Little White Dogs, have heard a few people refer them as Christmas dogs but that's nonsense to me.
Yep ... and from breed history I understand they were once called Roseneath Terriers, Poltalloch Terriers, and at earlier time White Cairn Terriers.

I've heard that "Christmas dog" thing too, don't quite get how that started. Right there with ya on "Terror" though!! We call ours a "Westie Terrier-ist" because he's a regular evil genius ... and he's so freakin' HAPPY about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
lol ive heard quite a few people call them cesar dogs
I'm with Mom2dogs on that one too, LOL, ... I'd rebel against that. When we first got Riley we had a few people say "Oooohh a male Westie? You just gotta name him Cesar!!" Ummm ... nah, not gonna happen.