Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 08-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
He is beautiful!

As far as neutering, that's up to you. It might help the humping it might not, some dogs stop as soon as they are neutered and plenty of neutered dogs hump too so I would not neuter if that was your only reason.

As far as age, again it's up to you. If you are completely confident he will not impregnate another dog (you will go the extra mile to ensure this) then I do think it is healthiest to wait until maturity (about 2 years old) to neuter. That way the body gets to make of use of all the right hormones while it is growing. This allows his body to fully mature as it is meant to and prevents some health problems. Fixing him before he gets more elderly prevents other illnesses. Marking in the house is not as common in intact dog as it would be in cats (in cats it's almost a guarantee) so I would not really expect it just because the dog is intact. If he starts treat him like a housebreaking puppy and start right away so a habit does not form.

Humping is normal but should be discouraged as I've heard dogs can hurt themselves (can't get "it" back in). I agree with redirecting him when or when he looks like he might hump. If he never gets to do it (you always stop him almost immediately) he will find it less enjoyable.

I would not personally get the lyme shot for my dog unless I hiked all the time in an area full of ticks and had a dog with a coat that made it difficult to find ticks. So long as you give him a really good check after going into a field or in the woods you should be pretty safe. I would not risk the vaccine (but I m not a huge fan of vaccines in the first place).
Thanks for all of the good information!! We are going to work on the hump thing! LOL...Also the whole Lyme shot ...I was a little wery of this because we live in the city (va beach) but the vet was saying there was a high case of ticks in this area???? But we always check him after his walks and playtime.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:12 PM
Very Food Agressive

With the Va Beach area there is also a good risk of Heart Worm so try to make sure you keep your pretty pup up to date on HW preventative

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Puppy Dog

So if riley was your dog ....would you get him neutered????? What would be the reason of doing this??? .....Sorry just looking for some good opinions!! and advise.. Like i said before im trying to do this right..
Old 08-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
With the Va Beach area there is also a good risk of Heart Worm so try to make sure you keep your pretty pup up to date on HW preventative
Im on top of it!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Very Food Agressive

Good to hear As for neutering, I wouldn't get him fixed just because of humping. With male dogs in particular, the testosterone usually helps them fill out a bit more and harden their bones(I think) so the longer you can push it back, the better. If he starts spraying or becoming aggressive about humping then you may want to consider having him fixed sooner rather than later.

My Izzy was fixed around 4 months because we had a contract from her rescue but if we could have pushed it back we would have. Take advantage of your time

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:10 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I have had intact males most of my life that never peed all over everything. THey knew where to go and that is just training.

I have the lyme disease vaccine for my dogs. I have chronic lyme disease myself and that is why. I never want anything to go through what i am going through. I have heard that they are more protective than they were in the past.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 08-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
I have had intact males most of my life that never peed all over everything. THey knew where to go and that is just training.

I have the lyme disease vaccine for my dogs. I have chronic lyme disease myself and that is why. I never want anything to go through what i am going through. I have heard that they are more protective than they were in the past.
Thanks for the tip! Riley is doing good with his potty training. We put a string with some bells tied to the end of the string on put it on the back door and he hits the bells with his nose to lets us no he needs to go outside!! He still has a pee accident every now and then but it is getting better with his age at which i hope it continues!!!!
Old 08-31-2009, 12:20 PM
Big Dog

well thats really good.