Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-30-2009, 08:47 PM
<------RIP Superdog

He actually sounds like a really good vet. I would guess that no matter where you go in your town or even area, they would all use the same lab. I know in my area, there is one lab for a couple hundred mile radius from the lab. Perhaps ask if he can send it to one of the universitys for their opinion.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

There's likely nothing your vet can do about incorrect lab results other than ask them to run it again unless he has some in-house testing equipment (unless he's doing this all in-house to begin with, but it sounds like he's sending them off).

Calibration errors happen once in a while, but it sounds like something is majorly off on the lab end. You shouldn't get highly fluctuating results in such a (what sounds like) short time, unless it's 'high' in just that it's out of the normal range; but who knows how far out of the range it is? Did he give you the values/show you the paper work?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 08-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Living on Doberman Drive

Nothing wrong with a second opinion, ESP in this situation. In fact, when it comes to possible continuous health issues, I would say a second opinion is needed.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Behavior Nerd

He's not charging you for the retests is he? If he is, *then* I'd seriously consider a second opinion, if not outright switching. If he's redoing them at his expense, then I'd stick with him, but maybe ask if he might be open to sending the blood to another lab the next time.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:28 AM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Quote:
Nothing wrong with a second opinion, ESP in this situation. In fact, when it comes to possible continuous health issues, I would say a second opinion is needed.
If you go for a second opinion, then you need to find out which labs both clinics send their respective tests too. Or just have your vet send them to a different lab (which they can do). All our vet clinics around here send their stuff to TVMDL unless it's something specific that they can't cover. It's likely the same around there (not necessarily TVMDL but something like it).

Alternatively, ask if the clinics can do in-house testing. You can get an idea of what the liver is doing through an Idexx machine, which some clinics rent from Idexx (or a similar company).

Quote:
He's not charging you for the retests is he? If he is, *then* I'd seriously consider a second opinion, if not outright switching. If he's redoing them at his expense, then I'd stick with him, but maybe ask if he might be open to sending the blood to another lab the next time.
Yah if he's charging you every time, maybe he's not as good as you think? That, to me, is the same as charging 'new client' fees and the ilk. Just a way to milk more money out of people.

But there's a TON of labs that blood (or serum, rather) can be sent to to have it run. TVMDL is just one example. I'm sure your area/state has an equivalent.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 09-01-2009, 12:43 PM
SimAlvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I paid for blood tests 1 and 2. Tests 3 and 4 were freebies because the vet read the riot act to the lab. I'm going to ask if he's changing labs next week when Sir Simon gets a rabies shot.

Don't you wonder how many other animals might have been affected? Whose animal might be in surgery right now because the lab screwed up.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Active Pup

From your view point, it sounds like you have lost confidence in the vet.Two people cannot walk except they agree.i suggest change.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:30 AM
SimAlvin

Default Hopefully, the Problem is Resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmills View Post
I paid for blood tests 1 and 2. Tests 3 and 4 were freebies because the vet read the riot act to the lab. I'm going to ask if he's changing labs next week when Sir Simon gets a rabies shot.

Don't you wonder how many other animals might have been affected? Whose animal might be in surgery right now because the lab screwed up.
Today I asked the vet to run another blood test at a second lab (for lab costs only). Turns out the vet had 2 other patients with high liver enzymes after tests at the original lab (these were also re-run). Since Alvin's last blood test, there have been 0 incidents of blood work with this issue.

The vet is excellent, and I know many dog owners who use him. I'm not changing vets.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmills View Post
Today I asked the vet to run another blood test at a second lab (for lab costs only). Turns out the vet had 2 other patients with high liver enzymes after tests at the original lab (these were also re-run). Since Alvin's last blood test, there have been 0 incidents of blood work with this issue.

The vet is excellent, and I know many dog owners who use him. I'm not changing vets.
As several have said, it's common for most vets in an area to use a specific lab, so I don't think the second opinion is warranted. I would ask that the next time your vet does bloodwork that it be sent elsewhere.

Also, I would ask for written proof that a re-calibration was performed on the equipment and an apology (in writing) from the lab for nothing more than self-satisfaction for what you've been through. If the vet won't ask for it on your behalf, ask for the name of the lab and the lab supervisor and request it yourself for your own 'peace of mind'. One calibration error is bad, two in that close of a time span is inexcusable in any industry, especially the medical field!!!!

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 09-14-2009, 06:33 PM
Top Dog

I wouldn't change, I'd just maybe as to see the proof next time, or maybe get it sent elsewhere like many people have said. This is off topic, but I am planning to be a vet.

Jenna, my dog. Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Five and a half years old.