Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-27-2009, 08:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_paws View Post
On her site, upcoming breedings, Sophie x Baloo litter, Sophie was born Feb 11th 2009. The bitch would be less than a year old to have her first litter upcoming mid-January.
That's. . . disgusting.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Oh dear god! I didn't want to ask her about her practices because I am trying to give people the benefit of the doubt more. But hell!

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 08-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Top Dog

I looked at her website. I saw no contract info., so it looks like she will sell to anyone. Taking credit cards and pay pal. To me that is somewhat commercial. Show quality but nothing to back that up, as far as ch., titles etc.. She does love her dogs, and they are nice looking. But a BYB all the same. If she will do some testing she talks about, and get into some showing, she would know other breeders instead of coming onto forum to ask. Sorry, just my opionion.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

If I were buying a dog specifically intended to be show quality, I wouldn't buy from a breeder who doesn't show. I would want the breeder to show, which would help to enable the breeder to know which pups are likely show prospects and which aren't as well as would allow for the breeder to be a mentor for me. I also would want to see a long line of CHs in the ancestry.

I have no objection to a breeder not showing in conformation. For me personally, I'm more interested in performance anyway. But if the dogs aren't proven show dogs, then the pups shouldn't be marketed as show prospects. It takes a lot of time, money and work to create a line of show prospects and the breeders that do so, prove it by showing their dogs and their progeny.

I also very much prefer to see a breeder at least be involved in the breed club. Whether they show or not, that involvement builds a network of breeders who can learn from each other and it helps the breeder to stay current on the health issues in the breed. For someone to be breeding for 7 years and need to come here to ask if we know people with a show quality doxie really shows a lack of involvement in the breed.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 08-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
If I were buying a dog specifically intended to be show quality, I wouldn't buy from a breeder who doesn't show. I would want the breeder to show, which would help to enable the breeder to know which pups are likely show prospects and which aren't as well as would allow for the breeder to be a mentor for me. I also would want to see a long line of CHs in the ancestry.

I have no objection to a breeder not showing in conformation. For me personally, I'm more interested in performance anyway. But if the dogs aren't proven show dogs, then the pups shouldn't be marketed as show prospects. It takes a lot of time, money and work to create a line of show prospects and the breeders that do so, prove it by showing their dogs and their progeny.

I also very much prefer to see a breeder at least be involved in the breed club. Whether they show or not, that involvement builds a network of breeders who can learn from each other and it helps the breeder to stay current on the health issues in the breed. For someone to be breeding for 7 years and need to come here to ask if we know people with a show quality doxie really shows a lack of involvement in the breed.
That says it ALL right there. I tried to say that, it just didn't come out quite so correctly!
Old 08-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Resident fainting goat

Not showing doesn't really mean a bad thing for me. I love to see other activies, agility, CGC, therapy work etc..

but proof of health testing as well as breeding dogs that are of age are VERY important to me.. and most people looking for pups.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
Not showing doesn't really mean a bad thing for me. I love to see other activies, agility, CGC, therapy work etc..

but proof of health testing as well as breeding dogs that are of age are VERY important to me.. and most people looking for pups.
Not showing really isn't a bad thing to me either, but if you are looking for a dog with intent to show, then it is very important. Like you say, if agility and such is your intrest then that would be important. It all sort of depends on what you intend to do with the dog/puppy you purchase.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobesgalore View Post
Not showing really isn't a bad thing to me either, but if you are looking for a dog with intent to show, then it is very important. Like you say, if agility and such is your intrest then that would be important. It all sort of depends on what you intend to do with the dog/puppy you purchase.
Exactly. I want to see agility and herding titles in the pedigree when I shop for corgis. For mals, I want titles in protection sport.

Regardless though of what I look for, part of what I look for in breeders in general is that their dogs can do what they claim to be producing. If a breeder is selling pups as "agility prospects", there should be agility titles on the ancestors. If their selling dogs as "hunting prospects", the pedigree should have dogs that are titled in field trials or that actually hunt in real life.

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 08-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobesgalore View Post
Ya definetly. if i was looking for a show quality puppy, I would want both his parents to be showing and titled as well as a nice family line with lots of titled dogs.

even just looking for a puppy to be a pet. i like to see SOMETHING, agility, therapy work, CGC, obedience.. especially if the pup is costing me as much as $650

Last edited by Fran101; 08-27-2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: had to edit a typo. i meant $650 not $65 lol
Old 08-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
Ya definetly. if i was looking for a show quality puppy, I would want both his parents to be showing and titled as well as a nice family line with lots of titled dogs.

even just looking for a puppy to be a pet. i like to see SOMETHING, agility, therapy work, CGC, obedience.. especially if the pup is costing me as much as $65
Well, for $65 I wouldn't even ask for a pedigree or health testing. (I suspect that was a typo?)

For dogs bred specifically as pets, they can at least have a CGC and Temperament Test.

sleep!!!
My dog Votes!