Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorlino View Post
If anyone has any dachshund breeder in mind could you please refer me to them? I can go from there with them and they can judge whether my dogs are "worthy" of their dogs or not :-)
Are you a member of the breed's regional club? Excellent place to start.

clubs (if you google the club's name, you can find some have websites for further information on membership, etc.)
Old 08-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Show Dog

If anyone has any recommendations for breeders please PM me. Otherwise I'm staying away from this thread. I'm getting a little defensive here - I know I shouldn't be, because I know you guys are just trying to help and give advice, but I can't help it. So, I better leave before I get myself into hot water :-)

Thank you everyone, again, for your interest in my breed!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Twin 2.0

I'm sorry you're getting defensive, that's not our intention. It sounds like you want to be the best breeder you can be and our suggestions are aimed at helping you achieve that.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:44 PM
ACoops favorite

Hi Molly. It's nice to meet you.

I wanted to give you the venues I went through when choosing my sam breeder. I have fallen on difficult financial times and at this time am not able to get a puppy, but I can tell you how I almost got one.

1) I went to the breed club website and contacted the person to whom all breeder referrals go, and she gave me a list of people

2) Then, I went out on my own, and started really looking at kennels and looking up show results to see who was actually competing with their dogs and who was winning

3) I just started emailing all of the breeders I liked and started corresponding to learn more about the breed- I have literally 5 people I currently keep in contact with because I LOVE their dogs and they're sweet people

4) I asked a bunch of questions and started figuring out what I thought was correct for a samoyed, and then found a person that had similar ideas. She and I are not BFFs, but she's a great lady.

5) I filled out a questionaire and was honest even about things I wasn't sure she'd like, and turned it in and waited...

waited...

for three days...tick...tock....

6) Then she emailed me back and sent me a copy of a contract for a male show quality puppy. I cannot tell you how elated I was. Here was my chance to get BACK in the ring and also have a dog with parents who were both excellent at agility and BOTH also good at weight pull and both with titles on both ends...

And then bang...all taken away...

But hey, you may be luckier then I am and maybe over a year of your life won't be spend on something that won't come to fruition. But hey, I'm not bitter, just a little angst for the memories
Old 08-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Lab Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorlino View Post
I've been studying the standard for 10 years and am familiar with the the standard.

Thank you so much for watching out for me and my dogs! It's always nice to have another educated opinion!
Yes however the point of shows and championships is to prove your dogs are worthy, better than the rest of the bunch entered.. some dogs aren't cut out for breeding.

Why don't you show, do agility, do competitive obedience.. or anything. Like I said health testing is awesome and definitely something to be patted on the back for.. however when another important factor of the mixture is missing it looks less than reputable. Why do you choose not to do these things.. I'm not meaning to be rude however those are my requirements for a breeder.. and I wouldn't buy just because you believe they are quality dogs.. everyone thinks that about their dogs. One would think that if you were so involved in doxies before (for 10 years?) that you would atleast be a member of the club.. and not need to ask a forum for breeder recommendations.

Just my two cents. I've been told I'm abrasive when I type.. I'm not trying to attack you. Sorry.

Duke - 3yr old Labrador Retriever
Old 08-26-2009, 09:21 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

If they are going to PET only homes, I dont see a problem.. Plus many of the great agility dogs that are mutts from shelters dont have proved parents and excel.. I looked at a reputable breed only for the health testing. Thats it. I dont givva crap about breed standard. How big, or rather, how small my dog is supposed to be, or if my dogs parents can jump over a pole.. I know that MY dog is a healty dog. her parents are shown, they are champions.. keely could NEEVER be a champion, because, she's 2 lbs heavier then she "should" be.. I think showing your dog is just a beauty contest.. And agility can be done by mutts as well.

I would love to have one of your doxies mmorlino! They are adorable!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
If they are going to PET only homes, I dont see a problem..
The OP talks about how she breeds show quality puppies yet doesn't show and has few CHs anywhere in her pedigrees. That is a problem.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 08-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

She might not show her dogs a hole lot. Doesnt mean her dogs and puppies arent "show quality"..
Old 08-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Yes it does. How can they be "show quality" if they aren't being shown?

That's like saying Enzo is "trial quality" just because she looks like trialing dogs and breeding her for it. Your logic is FAIL.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Also, it's "whole". "Hole" referes to an empty space in something.

As in, you have a hole in your head so big, your brains are falling out.