Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-21-2009, 09:05 PM
I'm All Ears

I will also add that Mia's breeder did a FANTASTIC job matching the right dog and personality to me and my current dog. Mia wasn't the pup I initially inquired about (too young for me) but she's a perfect match. Brains, beauty, energy, athleticism, confidence... couldn't ask for a better pup.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:30 PM
ACoops favorite

I didn't call your house if you think it's me. I enjoy debating, but that's about as far as it goes.

Sorry if you were offended. You didn't mentioned that you had show ring experience, or that you health tested. I was just going off what you posted.

As for your breeding program, if the dogs you use have CH titles and are genetically tested, then I have no issue.

I would enjoy seeing pictures of your dogs and would like to hear your show brag stories. I was trying to get back into the ring myself, so I enjoy talking about that aspect of dog ownership.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Top Dog

Back to the original question : My first Golden was from Conn . so only letters back and forth from Quebec .My 2nd was an older pup who didn't make the grade in the show ring , so sold to me .No testing for HD back then and he had it ! My next 2 were sibs ( Rufus and Penny )from a lady who only bred once to a Champ Golden and it was his owner who became my mentor . Max helped me train and show Rufus and I bought a female from him and started my Hawthorn Hills line . He and his wife had a great line ....winning in show/obedience and field work . We were very close and it was there I boarded my Golden when away . They were very serious about good breeding ... they had nice kennels and runs , but all were house dogs when Max and Mary were home . Litter were no more than every 2 years or so .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-22-2009, 07:30 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammgirl View Post
The breeder I was going to get my puppy from swore by Eukenuba, and quite frankly she's about as good as they come. She's like Mia's breeder in that she's not Ms. I-want-to-be-best-friends, but she's a good lady.

I agree with the other posters. I don't think I'd ever take advice from someone who I viewed as unethical, and for me, the breeding of mixed breeds is unethical, on top of the fact that the person also has poor practices regarding health guarentees.

Only one year for genetic issues? What if the puppy has hip displasia?? That's as genetic as it comes and frankly, even if a dog comes down with hip displasia at 2 is a tragedy, IMHO.

Definitely not someone I'd want to mentor me.

This is just my opinion, and you can take it with a grain of salt.

I agree.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 08-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
Just curious

whats your relationship with them like?

how important do you think your relationship is?

would you buy a dog you like from a breeder you don't really "click" with?
With Athena (rescue not breeder) I stayed in touch and gave updates via email. I stopped by a couple of times during Athena's life. The rescue loved Athena's mom so much she actually kept her.

With Sal I continue to keep in touch with his breeder, she was one of my first "Friends" on Facebook. I have met her at a couple of shows. I usually remember to send Sal's mom and dad e-cards on Mothers/Fathers day

I think the relationship is important especially if you are new to dogs or the dog breed.

Would I buy a dog from a breeder I didn't click with? Well I don't have to like the breeder personally, but I do have to like their philosophy and ethics on breeding. I would buy a puppy from a jerk as long as that "jerk" health screened, worked their dogs or trained them, and had a set up that encouraged physical and mental health.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:34 AM
SimAlvin

Default It is creepy that the breeder received threatening phone calls

I posted an endorsement of the second breeder mentioned in my post because I believe she deserved credit for her efforts to provide excellent service.

I never ever thought she would receive threatening phone calls because of it. Chazhound is a forum for discussion and information exchange, not a breeding (pardon the pun) ground for hate mail and harassing phone calls.

My sincere apologies to the breeder for the poor behavior of a few people who do not understand the purpose of a forum.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:51 AM
Top Dog

calling anyone on a message board unless you have permission IMHO is creepy.

Royal Canin is terrible dog food to me. Any dog food that skill has Corn or wheat gluten in it is just not acceptable.

Breeding mixed breeds is usually wrong to me but I think that if you have homes set up a head of time and the parents are health screened and there is a purpose it can be ok. The problem is that most mixed breeders are ByBers or Puppy millers. I know of some breeding programs that are for specific purpose or sports that are high quality but that is rare.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:15 PM
Top Dog

I have zero relationship with Buzz's breeder. He's a BYB kiddo, but oddly enough we go to agility very close to where his breeder lives. Haha.

Bailey's breeder and I have a rocky and interesting relationship. I send him updates a couple times a year, but I never see him at shows or anywhere really. She had her hips xrayed by him, because I wanted him to see them and her. I see her sire's breeder/owner more than I see HER breeder. I am good friends with and track with her half sister's owner/breeder, and I'm a casual acquaintance with her other half sister's owner. I wish we had a better relationship, but alas, we don't.

I have a far better relationship with my toller breeder friends than I do with either of my dogs' breeders.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 08-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Show Dog

Hi guy - totally new here. Signed up just to respond to this post :-)

I'm a dachshund breeder and I feed raw. I just started 2 months ago, but am loving it so far. I recommend to every one and explain, to the best of my ability, the pros of it.

I also test for cord 1 PRA, CERF, and patellas.

And, of course, all of my puppies are sent home microchipped (totally free of charge!) and with me listed as the secondary contact.

I have a Facebook account that helps to keep me in contact with a lot of my customers. And, of course, I send Christmas cards out and am always here for my puppy buyers!
Old 08-22-2009, 08:14 PM
Top Dog

I have actually only purchased 2 dogs in my lifetime, a Pomeranian and my first show Basenji. I never saw or heard from the Pom's breeder after I bought the dog. I tried to stay in contact with my Basenji's breeder but she had no interest. Every other dog I have ever had then has been free, from a shelter, or (mostly) dogs I have bred myself. I try to stay in touch with my buyers and I hear from many of them very regularly.

When I am ready to actually buy a puppy, I will not buy from a breeder whose ethics are questionable. I will also never buy from a breeder with whom I could not maintain a relationship with. I absolutely love to get photos and emails from my buyers and I want to share the joy of my own new puppy with it's breeder.