Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-29-2005, 07:00 PM
Island dweller

have you seen this site Julie?
http://adopt-a-poodle.1-800-save-a-pet.com/
Old 08-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
have you seen this site Julie?
http://adopt-a-poodle.1-800-save-a-pet.com/
NO, I haven't been there. Thanks! I would really like to adopt a poodle, because I am scared to death of breeders. I've contacted different poodle rescues and they all said they probably wouldn't be able to adopt to me because my yard wasn't fenced and I already had other dogs. I swear it's harder to adopt a dog then to buy from a breeder. They do background checks and vet checks and house checks. Breeders, on the other hand, take your money hand you a pup and say "here ya go". I'm joking about most of that. I know ALL the breeders, and hope to be breeders here will do the vet checks and house checks if neccasary. It's just that lots of bad breeders (and pet stores too) will just hand over a puppy to anyone with the money.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:38 PM
Walks into Mordor

Are there any dog shows in your area? I would go to one of those to find a breeder. Many of the breeders you find on the Internet are not the best to get a puppy from. The best breeders tend to be the ones that don't really advertise much, because they're not in it for the money. You could also try spending a little money on some dog magazines. There are many good breeders listed in them.

Edit: Also, you know you've found a good breeder when they ask you as many questions as you ask them. They are extremely picky as to where their beloved pups end up. They will give you a frank description of all the aspects of the breed, both negative and positive. The wonderful breeders I've met in the past all seem like they're try to talk you out of buying a puppy, not giving a sales pitch.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I haven't heard about too many dog shows here. We do have dog magazines but the only problem is haven't seen many, or any, breeders around the Indiana area and don't want to ship the puppy (most of the breeders actually won't ship we'd have to go pick them up). I'll have to keep my eyes open for a dog show though, or a standard poodle organization around here.

Old 08-30-2005, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefurry
I haven't heard about too many dog shows here. We do have dog magazines but the only problem is haven't seen many, or any, breeders around the Indiana area and don't want to ship the puppy (most of the breeders actually won't ship we'd have to go pick them up). I'll have to keep my eyes open for a dog show though, or a standard poodle organization around here.
Julie I can help you get in touch with a dog show in your area. They are so much fun and I know you would love all the awesome vendors that sell the coolest dog supplies - much better than petco or petsmart! I know you would have a blast and really enjoy seeing all the different breeds.

If you decide you want to go to one then you can always PM me.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Twin 2.0

I'm with Saje on the Shiloh Kennels: RUN.

I really would wait just a little longer to get another dog, just so you have more time to look and more time for that special dog to get your attention.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:03 PM
Whitedobelover

there are no poodles on that site... how do we know that they actually have apoodle
that is for sell...
Old 08-30-2005, 02:45 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitedobelover
there are no poodles on that site... how do we know that they actually have apoodle
that is for sell...
My husband found their advertisement and he called (and I called too). When I called them the first time I didn't tell them what breed I was interested in I asked what breeds they had available and she told me they had standards available. I think we'll look elsewhere. My husband has gotten a good lead on a breeder from a guy at his work (who has a miniauture). I guess where he got his dog from they have standards and miniatures as well, but the breeders stopping the miniatures and working just on standards. I don't know, I promised I'd look but won't make any decisions.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:03 PM
Are you dead yet?

RUNNNNNN from them. Looks like a puppymill to me as well - "We just recently started selling them on the internet"?? If they sell puppies over the internet without ever meeting prospective owners, that right there is a reason to walk away.

They do show their Shibas it seems, but in all honesty those dogs look scary. I can't believe they are finishing.

I'd find a better breeder, jmo..
Old 09-03-2005, 01:45 AM
Active Pup

I know nothing about this kennel. So I have nothing to say except go with your gut.

I'd say rescue also, but I know they put your through a full inspection (and I mean full!) I do not do anything like that for my dogs. That is because my belief is this is a dog, not a human. I know that is not too popular here, but it is how I see things.

I also read from one of the posts that this kennel mates two different breeds to make a "designer" dog. A friend of mine would breed her chihuahuas with her pomeranians. She told me a lot like that mix. I only breed one breed of dog so I cannot mix. I never scolded her for it though. I oly gave her a hard time about not heating the dogs in the winter.

Go with your gut.