Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
I covet the dogs of this breeder: About Time Cane Corso Italiano They also occasionally breed Italian greyhounds, and they participate in rescue for both breeds.

A warning about Corso forums, they tend to be VERY dominance theory. I mostly browse them to look at pics, and try to get a feel for the breed's temperament. What I've learned so far is that with their people, they are a very silly breed. They should calmly accept nonthreatening strangers, and they should never be fearful or nervous of novel things. They tend to be dog friendly, although a DA corso is not faulted. I have seen many, many pictures of Corsi in groups of other dogs.
I cringe at some of the posts on the forum, like scruff shaking and rolling a pup if he pees in the house out of "spite" to show your "alpha"

My girls will tolerate accepted non family members, but they are not friendly to them like my Rottweiler. They just dont want anything to do with them.
With other dogs off their property, they are not friendly, but they mind their own business as long as the dog doesnt get in their face. I know some peoples Corsos like to play with other dogs and they even take them to dog parks, but not mine.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Very Food Agressive

What's with the variable ear cropping on that breeder's page Sweet? IT looks like half of them are cropped and half aren't including puppies retained from litters... And all the crop jobs look like fighting pit's done by razor's edge o.O I think I prefer the natural ears. Good looking dogs but I would expect a breeder of substance to be consistent...

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
if you go to Bandog banter and ask, you'll be pointed toward people working them. health & temperament should be good from anyone reccommended but they probably won't be showing much if at all.
Thanks for the suggestion! I like the idea of working dogs and breeders who work only would take precedence to me over those who show only. I think the temperament of a dog who works would have to match what the dog was bred to do. JMO
Old 08-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsomom
My girls will tolerate accepted non family members, but they are not friendly to them like my Rottweiler. They just dont want anything to do with them.
With other dogs off their property, they are not friendly, but they mind their own business as long as the dog doesnt get in their face. I know some peoples Corsos like to play with other dogs and they even take them to dog parks, but not mine.
The temperament of your girls sounds like what I am looking for. I don't want a dog who is friendly with everyone. I love my APBTs but that is the one thing about them that I wish was different. I am fine with some level of DA as long as he can be friendly with my resident dogs when raised together. I never leave any dogs alone together unattended so it would be supervised only. My male APBT will turn into mush at the thought of getting to meet another dog and go crazy trying to get to play with them. My female APBT is much more laid back about it and just takes it in stride with no obnoxious behavior or urgency but no aggression either. I would be happy to have a dog that will mind his own business when it comes to strange dogs unless confronted or threatened.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Twin 2.0

Corsos and IG's, what a combo!
Old 08-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Taxiderpy

There are several corso breeders and owners on this board.
North West Working Dogs

I took Strider to the Northwest Working Dog Expo, hosted by the club I linked to. There were quite a few corsos there both working and showing. It seems like the working people who show do the IABCA shows (which happen to be my favorite). The club is geared towards protection work, but a lot of the members seem to do other things like hunting and farm work with their animals too.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
There are several corso breeders and owners on this board.
North West Working Dogs

I took Strider to the Northwest Working Dog Expo, hosted by the club I linked to. There were quite a few corsos there both working and showing. It seems like the working people who show do the IABCA shows (which happen to be my favorite). The club is geared towards protection work, but a lot of the members seem to do other things like hunting and farm work with their animals too.
Thanks! I will check that out too. Nothing I like better than multiple sources for information. I am not a person who can rely on one perspective.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
What's with the variable ear cropping on that breeder's page Sweet? IT looks like half of them are cropped and half aren't including puppies retained from litters... And all the crop jobs look like fighting pit's done by razor's edge o.O I think I prefer the natural ears. Good looking dogs but I would expect a breeder of substance to be consistent...
I do not know. But I am very impressed with the overall structure of their dogs, and Chaos is one of the prettiest bitches I've ever seen, and I've looked through a lot of websites. They also have pedigrees and health tests listed for each dog. I don't know that I'd actually get a pup from them, but I'd certainly talk to them to see who they might know. I do prefer working bred dogs though.

If you look up Grejon kennels, they also have weird crops on their dogs, and they are considered one of the top working Presa Canario breeders. Red Star Akula is just gorgeous.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 08-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Very Food Agressive

I mean yeah good looking dogs, the variation is what I think is weird.

Anyways, good luck on your search for the perfect breeder/dog. Hopefully you'll find someone willing to work with you to find the pup that will work best for your family.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Squishy face

Truehearts specializes in working Cane Corso. True Heart Cane Corsos They bred and own the "2008 SACCI National Speciality Working Events Overall Winner" as you can see on this page: The S.A.C.C.I. Society in America for Cane Corso Italiano

And I think the OP probably has enough links now, lol.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!