Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Taxiderpy

People always say Striders breed (or assumed breed) with a question mark at the end, so it's easy to correct them without ruffling feathers. Most are interested in pronouncing it right and ask how to spell it, but then the northwest has awesome people like that.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:57 AM
ACoops favorite

People always pronounce my mom's breed of choice wrong. It's always "Key-shawnd" or "Keys-hound."

OR they'll say, "oh my god is that a baby akita?????!!!!!"

Anyway, she usually finds a way to slip the correct pronounciation into the mix, "Oh, she's such a good girl. How did you learn about "Kayz-hounds?"

I think I heard that keeshonden (kayz-hond-en) have the most mispronounced name in the AKC. Wouldn't surprise me.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammgirl View Post
People always pronounce my mom's breed of choice wrong. It's always "Key-shawnd" or "Keys-hound."

OR they'll say, "oh my god is that a baby akita?????!!!!!"

Anyway, she usually finds a way to slip the correct pronounciation into the mix, "Oh, she's such a good girl. How did you learn about "Kayz-hounds?"

I think I heard that keeshonden (kayz-hond-en) have the most mispronounced name in the AKC. Wouldn't surprise me.
I am officially embarrassed, as I learned from your post that I have been pronouncing it wrong all this time.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodi's Mom View Post
So many people approach me and tell me what a lovely Burmese Mountain Dog I have. I usually try to educate them in a sort of backwards way replying that this breed comes from BERNE, Switzerland. Most thank me for the info, but some get very offended. Should I just keep my mouth shut? What do you do when someone mispronounces your breeds name?
I have done that....and I know better. Burmese just rolls off the tongue so easy. As a World Geography teacher I am just a lot more used to the word Burmese.

I wouldn't get mad if you corrected me though....I would feel kinda dumb because I know better but I would get mad.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Felurian

I always feel for the Rottie people here . . . their dogs are "Rockwilders."

And then there's Kharma's breed . . . People ask, may guess at Bull Mastiff or Bloodhound or even Great Dane or more usually "some kinda bigass hound," and then when I tell them she's a Fila Brasileiro, about half the time they'll say, "yeah, like I said, Bigass Hound."

Grrrrr . . . . But, what do I know about dogs, I'm just a stupid woman, anyway.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-19-2009, 08:58 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

The Pap ill ion thing irritates the hell out of me too!

I had someone come up to me on Sunday and ask if Ben was a Pap ill ion and when I told him he was in fact a Papillon he claimed to have one that he got from the SPCA. Very doubtful seeing as there are only 32 in South Africa.

He THEN told me that his was one of the big ones though. He fetched a very obvious Pom/Terrier mix from the car and explained how the large ones were in fact, like poodles, the the standard and Ben was a toy.

By that stage I lost my temper and told him to bugger off. It didn't help that I witnessed him slam his car door into another car and not even slow down to check if there was damage. Then he has the cheek to try and tell me his mix is in the same breed catergory as my show winner. (I was feeling very snobby that day! LOL)

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 08-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Love my BC and Pap!

I've corrected my mother time and time again and she STILL says BurMese. She knows that's not how you say it, but she can't help it. It just easily slides out before she can stop herself.

For the longest time I never said "Brussels Griffon" out loud because I was CONVINCED it was somehow NOT pronounced the way it is spelled and I would sound like an idiot. One day I watched a dog show on Animal Planet and realized I had it right the whole time.

I've never had anyone mispronounce Papillon, it sounds funny though. They either know Oliver's a Papillon or they have no idea what he is...or they think he's a Chi.

made by Esther @ disneydreams-boards.org