Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 01-07-2010, 03:10 AM
Papillon Fancier

I really like:
The Puppy Puzzel book and DVD

Dogsteps dvd and book (I believe there is a new revised edition out now. Dont have it yet..),

The Joy Of Breeding Your Own Show Dog (A must have! Talks tons about reading pedigrees/ linebreeding, outcrossing, etc. & much more. Plus, Kirby is on the front cover. )

I also have: Tricks Of The Trade (revised edition), Best In Show The World Of Show Dogs and Dog Shows, Positive Training For Show Dogs, Raising a Champion (pretty basic info, but great book), Breeding Dogs To Win (Met author and got a signed copy. Great book, lots of health testing info.), An Eye For A Dog ( A+ book on judging)

I hope to get the new revised 2nd addition book entitled "Born To Win: Breed To Succeed" by Patricia Craige a very successful owner handler.

I also am highly interested in: Solving The Mysteries Of Breed Type, Annie On Dogs, and Dog Breeding As A Fine Art.

You can find all of these on dogwise. You probably already know that though.

Hey, Laurelin, what lines are your paps out of? River was bred by Carolyn Mills of Ken Mar. Mostly American stock behind her (LOVE it.) River was a 1/2 brother 1/2 sister breeding being linebred on CH SOD Ken Mar Party On A Wave. River's great aunt, CH Loteki Beach Party and her great uncle CH Loteki Good Time Charlie both won multiple times @ Westminster. Bikini is still winning in the Veterans class @ the nationals.

River is related to Kirby, by way of Ch DOD Loteki Autumn Magic (top producing female of all time.)

Laurelin, your paps are so pretty. I have been showing for a year now.

Proud Papillon fancier sinse '05. Cujo, my 4 yr old, heart dog, and River, my 12 month old, show dog/ princess.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Your Mom

I have an email into my friend to ask him the name of the book he's always used. For me the BEST part about reading that book was that he had made notes all in it regarding breedings that were done years ago, that were extremely important to the breed. So yeah, the book was fantastic, but the historical sidenotes were even better

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 01-07-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm All Ears

Thanks guys! I have lots of reading to do but lots of time to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleuButterfly View Post

Hey, Laurelin, what lines are your paps out of? River was bred by Carolyn Mills of Ken Mar. Mostly American stock behind her (LOVE it.) River was a 1/2 brother 1/2 sister breeding being linebred on CH SOD Ken Mar Party On A Wave. River's great aunt, CH Loteki Beach Party and her great uncle CH Loteki Good Time Charlie both won multiple times @ Westminster. Bikini is still winning in the Veterans class @ the nationals.

River is related to Kirby, by way of Ch DOD Loteki Autumn Magic (top producing female of all time.)

Laurelin, your paps are so pretty. I have been showing for a year now.
Mine come from all over, mostly American and English which are also my favorite lines for a variety of reasons. Nard is 3/4 Queen Bless though and they all have a scattering of Swedish and such lines too. Mia is related to River through Ken Mar Party on a Wave btw. He's Mia's great grandfather.

I'll pm you in a little bit.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Just try me..

One thing I would do if you can is really get a good understanding of genetics. CURRENT understanding.

Most breeders have a passing understanding of punnett squares and Mendel. But I think a better understanding of what goes on, how many traits are genotypically vs phenotypically expressed is very important (not hard to deduce if you watch what other breeders are breeding and producing)

When I am done school (when ever that may be lol) I would love to give talks about genetics and how things work to breeder groups. I hear so much misinformation when hanging around shows it drives me insane. Often they are close to having things right.. but just not quite there.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
One thing I would do if you can is really get a good understanding of genetics. CURRENT understanding.

Most breeders have a passing understanding of punnett squares and Mendel. But I think a better understanding of what goes on, how many traits are genotypically vs phenotypically expressed is very important (not hard to deduce if you watch what other breeders are breeding and producing)

When I am done school (when ever that may be lol) I would love to give talks about genetics and how things work to breeder groups. I hear so much misinformation when hanging around shows it drives me insane. Often they are close to having things right.. but just not quite there.
I took quite a few genetics classes (I was a gene major for two years). I would love to learn more abut it in dogs. Do you know any good reading to be done on the subject?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Just try me..

not really. There are some interesting journal articles coming out these days. But not enough, and not on some of the things that really matter.

Stay current if you can. Your schooling will likely help you more than most of those books.

For example. Bone is one of the first things to go in badly bred dogs of many breeds. I see how hard it is to get bone back once lost in lines. Therefore I can assume that when choosing a LHW mate for Bounce I will over look size to get bone. Excess size, whilst a problem, is easier to 'fix' than lack of bone. Bone is likely multi allelic and somewhat recessive.

But talking to breeders about Bill (Bounce's betrothed) they constantly comment on the fact he is over standard in height. So far he is the ONLY LHW with really good bone... (and there are other factors) So he is the planned dad.

So basically what I am saying is if you can apply your understanding of advanced genetics to what you are observing in your breed then you will be able to make better decsions and be able to produce what you want.. vs crossing nice dogs and hoping.