Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-15-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Question for the breeders

Do you guys know any good reading material (books or articles) about breeding for those interested in breeding responsibly?

Don't worry, I've got 5-6 years before I can even start to seriously think of that.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Top Dog

Sure do!!

One of the best websites out there for anyone considering breeding is Breeding Better Dogs tons of excellent information.

There are several excellent books on whelping, raising pups etc, but if your not planning on doing it soon, I would wait and get the latest and best books to purchase.

The Puppy Puzzle is also excellent (DVD) lots of good info there on conformtion, structure and movement.

Also anything by Dr. Hutchson he is the leading repo Vet out there.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Top Dog

I don't have any useful suggestions, but I'll bet you'd be a great breeder. You obviously know a ton about papillons already and have ties to the pap showing community.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Boxer Buddy

I agree about The Puppy Puzzle!!!

i also find that just going to the library and reading anything you can get your hands on is good. Hook up with a breeder near you and follow them through the whole process, from coming in heat to breeding, care of the bitch and whelping. Then as they grow! Books and learning from them is wonderful BUT being able to see and be involved UNDER the GUIDANCE of a RESPONSIBLE breeder gets u that first hand knowledge. Also watch for Carmen Battaglia seminars!!!

(the caps are for the people that will think i said go breed its the only way to learn....when it is def. NOT what i mean!)

Good Luck!!

Old 08-17-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm All Ears

Thanks a lot for the links and ideas! I have a few breeders off the top of my head whom I can work with.

I want to make sure I do it right but I can see there is a big need for more good breeders of my breed. We have a long ways to go, especially when it comes to health testing which is still sadly not the norm for breeders.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Top Dog

" Raising A Puppy You Can Live With " was my breeding Bible !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 08-19-2009, 01:01 AM
Active Pup

I'd suggest "The Book of The Bitch" by JM Evans and Kay White, that should be everyone's #1 book if you have a bitch you are planning on breeding. There is info from raising your breeding bitch to sending off the puppies.

"Control Of Canine Genetic Disease" by George Padgett is another good read. Genetics An Introduction For Dog Breeders by Jackie Isabell is great, but it can be somewhat tedious for those who aren't genetics obsessed like me. My husband read about 6 pages and fell asleep.

One of the more important parts I think, before you even start to think about breeding is training your eye and learning to be honest with yourself about your dogs strengths and weaknesses. I'd suggest "K-9 Structure & Terminology" by Edward Gilbert Jr. and "An Eye For a Dog: Illustrated Guide to Judging Purebred Dogs" by Robert Cole. And, the "Dog Steps: What to Look For in A Dog" DVD. It is more complicated than the title portrays, it mostly covers how even the slightest deviations in conformation can affect not only the dogs movement, but health. It uses xrays, both still and moving to show you the inner workings of the dog while it moves.

Other book on my shelf:
"Solving The Mysteries of Breed Type" by Richard Beauchamp
"Trick of The Trade: From Best Intentions to Best in Show" by Pat Hastings
"The Joy of Breeding Your Own Show Dog" by Anne Seranne
"Another Piece of The Puzzle: Puppy Development" by Pat Hastings
"Dog Breeders Professional Secrets: Ethical Breeding Practices" by Sylvia Smart
I used to have a bunch more, but I've since passed them on to friends and it's so late the names are escaping me.

I would also suggest, going to the AKC site and applying for an events mentor. Even if you are not going to show your own dog, you should have a working knowledge of how to handle a dog incase your handler fudges up and can't take your dog in their class at a show. Also, their mentor program can open up more doors to the community and with the right person turn into a breeding mentor-ship, giving you a "behind the scenes" view. My mentor through them was not even someone within my own breed, however I have my breeder to go back to for Sibe specific stuff, which actually IMO makes my mentor friendlier toward me since competition is not there. I've heard tons of horror stories about mentors gone wrong, and I really think if you have people within your own breed to go to for breed specific advice, sometimes you're better off finding an ally outside of your breed.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:27 AM
Boxer Buddy

**APPLAUSE** Great response Husky !!!

Old 08-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Boxers View Post
**APPLAUSE** Great response Husky !!!
Ditto!! ^^^
Old 08-19-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm All Ears

thanks for that!