She's Coming!!!!

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
After much discussion Molly the basset hound is coming to stay in 2 weeks after she has her last shots and is fixed!!!YAY! Sunny met her and was...well not enthused per se but he was nice to her and tried to clean her. I think once she is here and they are together more often they will be best friends. She really is too cute. I had forgotten how big Sunny had grown and was thinking somehow this girly was his size. Not quite...she can easily walk under his belly without hitting her head. :D TOO CUTE. Yes, there should be pictures in the next few weeks. I didn't have my camera at the time. I'm still thinking of changing her name. Her personality is waaay laid back. She mostly just laid there while Sunny licked and examined her girl parts. :rolleyes: She's curious as puppys tend to be. She followed Sunny for a while l, then got bored and found a good smell. Then Sunny decided she was worth paying attention to now that she was playing "hard to get" :rolleyes: She reminds me of that basset hound on Tiny Toons that just sorta lies around, lol. She's a kisser, and likes me playing with her adorably long ears. She likes to be held. Um...well that is all I have grasped from our few meetings but once she comes home I will know more about her. Her current owner says she is an instigator with her bigger sister (litter mate) , and takes her toys just to annoy her, then hides them. We shall see. Tim's biggest worry is that she won't be a good backpacking dog. I think any dog can be a good backpacking dog with enough training so here's to me being right! Keep the names coming as I still have NO idea,though Sierra did come to mind the other day in the camping store, and Tim seemed to like the idea of a camping gear/outdoorsy type name. Thanks guys!!!

skyhigh

Have I missed something? Congrats !!! Hope all goes well. Be prepared for puppy times. They grow fast. :)

How cute! Sunny will warm up to her quite well, I'm sure. Bassets are irresistable :) You will have to work on keeping her very fit for her to be a backpacking dog and gradually build up her stamina.

SallyandPippa

First time BT owner
Bassets are lovely dogs but they tend to be rather lazy so bear it in mind! Also if you are going to be outside a lot bear in mind that grass seed can often go into basset's ears and cause a great deal of discomfort so perhaps ask your vet how best to tackle this. They are loving, dopey dogs who will take all the loving you care to give them!

Good luck! :)

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
skyhigh said:
Have I missed something? Congrats !!! Hope all goes well. Be prepared for puppy times. They grow fast. :)
yes, you potentially did miss something :) I have been talking about possibly adopting a basset hound pup who is 5 months old, from a lady I know. After some discussion and the obligitory meeting of her and Sunny we have decided that we would love for her to come and stay with us :D Still need names though. Only have had some from L4P and a few others. Thanks for those who HAVE suggested names :) I like a few but would like more to choose from.

gapeach

Big Mutts
Yah, I know you must be so excited! And you did such an amazing job training Sunny that I know this puppy is in great hands. I like the name Sierra.BabyNames.com Maybe this will help, I found they have alot of uncommon names and their meanings, they also have a list of doggy names especially for them.

showpug

That's really exciting that you are getting a basset! As far as the whole back packing isssue goes...let's just say you are ambitious! I imagine anything is possible, but I would be very careful about adding any kind of weight to a basset's back. The longer bodied breeds can have back problems as it is and if they carry extra weight that can make it worse. :( Either way, I am sure this basset will have a great home with you!!

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
I think Lucille is a great Bassett name!! lol! It seems to fit the personality!! Congrats on the new family member!! :D

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
showpug said:
That's really exciting that you are getting a basset! As far as the whole back packing isssue goes...let's just say you are ambitious! I imagine anything is possible, but I would be very careful about adding any kind of weight to a basset's back. The longer bodied breeds can have back problems as it is and if they carry extra weight that can make it worse. :( Either way, I am sure this basset will have a great home with you!!
She probably wouldn't be carrying any/much weight unless it is in a little pack around her neck (say, her ball, some treats and a first aid kid) as I don't think they sell packs that wouldn't drag on the ground. Sunny's new pack (we're getting one very soon, just had it fitted and he LOVED it but that is another story for another day...) will be big enough for atleast a weeks worth of food so he can carry one or two days for the both of them easily. Mostly it will just be overnight jaunts into the woods and back. I am told they love run and play, and I figure, they ARE hunting dogs so there should be some athleticism in there SOMEWHERE right? I think she'll be busy chasing her big bro around so she should stay fit and trim :) She's little and compact so hopefully those long back problems won't be such an issue for her. She likes her walks so backpacking and hiking are only steps away in my book. If people can take chi's backpacking I think bassets shouldn't be an issue :) Thanks everyone for the support. I am SOOO excited!!! :D

Fran27

I'm really not sure bassets are suited for backpacking... I would really ask more people who know a lot about bassets, so you don't end up with a bad surprise. I've never seen bassets as very active dogs.

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
directly from dogbreed info.com : The Basset hound will do okay in an apartment. They are very inactive indoors but outdoors they will run for hours in play if given the chance. They will do okay without a yard, but should be given plenty of opportunities to run and play to keep it healthy and trim. sounds to me like a good backpacking trip :) The lady that has her says she looooves the trails so I'm optomistic. Like I said, I think any dog can be a backpacking dog if given the oppertunity. Not like I'll love her less if she is a slowpoke. I'm not talking mt.washington (I don't think I'd do that again myself let along take a dog :eek: ) but some sections of the a.t. are just right. Also I think she'll be trying to keep up with Sunny so she'll have motivation. :)
ALSO in the breed book I have there are pictures of bassets doing AGILITY so I am pretty sure a few rocks and hills aren't going to bother her.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.