Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-15-2009, 09:03 PM
SimAlvin

Default Now I Understand the Issues with Hybrid Dog Breeders

Ever since I bought a mixed breed pup online in April, forum members have mentioned the perils of so-called designer dog breeders.

I finally get it . . . and here's why:

Alvin is a handsome, sweet hybrid pup but his list of health issues continues to grow longer and more serious:

1) Pup arrived with a UTI
2) Pup arrived with an intestinal parasite.
3) Pup has been itching and scratching since day one and is being treated for allergies.
4) And today, the vet looked at pre-surgery (neutering) blood work and called with the news that he suspects the congenital condition liver shunt (may be the reason for 1 and 3).

We are all upset about the diagnosis even though it has to be confirmed with another blood test and if positive, an ultrasound.

What a shame such a loving animal must suffer the consequences of bad breeding practices. He is and will continue to be well cared for.

And how uninformed were we to get a hybrid pup online?

Old 08-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Top Dog

I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this with your pup. I'm sure it's devistating for you and your family.

I wouldn't blame these problems on the fact that he's a mixed breed, though.... There are plenty of mixes who live perfectly healthy lives.

Instead, I would blame this on the breeder who bred him. This is why so many members here harp on people about finding a reputable breeder, who does health checks and is concerned first and formost about the health and temperment of the dogs she produces. There are plenty of breeders who do health checks and prove their dogs' temperment through agility, rally-o, hearding, etc., and breed mixes, and are considered reputable. I hope that anyone reading this, who is thinking about getting a dog of ANY breed or mix, will do some research about how to find a reputable breeder and why its so important.

Again, Vmills, I'm so sorry to hear about Alvin. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help!!
Old 08-15-2009, 10:33 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Soo sorry to hear about your pup! Hope everything works out for the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
I wouldn't blame these problems on the fact that he's a mixed breed, though.... There are plenty of mixes who live perfectly healthy lives.
^This. I have a mixed breed who is almost 11 and she is healthier then most dogs I've known her age. Even purebreds. She has 1 UTI last year, which, going by her age, is very common (especially for an intact female). That is the extent of her health problems she has ever had.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 08-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this with your pup. I'm sure it's devistating for you and your family.

Instead, I would blame this on the breeder who bred him. This is why so many members here harp on people about finding a reputable breeder, who does health checks and is concerned first and formost about the health and temperment of the dogs she produces.
There are plenty of breeders who do health checks and prove their dogs' temperment through agility, rally-o, hearding, etc., and breed mixes, and are considered reputable. I hope that anyone reading this, who is thinking about getting a dog of ANY breed or mix, will do some research about how to find a reputable breeder and why its so important.

Again, Vmills, I'm so sorry to hear about Alvin. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help!!
Ditto to this as well. I don't care if people are breeding mixes as long as their health is the utmost concern, not the cutesie name or the profit margin.

Hope all turns out well for your pup!

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 08-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Active Pup

I have to agree with the others who say it's a breeder issue, not a mixed breed issue. I am the owner of a wonderful, sweet, $10,000 pure bred jack russell terrier (that's his vet bills so far, and he's only 3). Got him out of the newspaper, didn't know to look at the breeder and now we're paying the price... or rather, he is, really. So I know what you're going through,and wish you the best of luck.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

I agree that this isn't because he's a mixed breed, but because the breeder was not responsible. These issues can and do occur in purebreds just as easily as in mixes.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 08-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Top Dog

I have problems with people breeding that don't know anything about dogs, what works or what they're working for. They're just breeding puppies and selling them. It takes more than even two healthy dogs that can produce offspring to call yourself a breeder.