Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-15-2009, 04:58 PM
I'm All Ears

Oh don't get me wrong, mine were nutzo in a good way. My papillon is nutzo though too. I just kind of love crazy dogs, lol!
Old 08-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
You might see if there are some breed rescues in your area to start with. If there are any herding trial /training groups you'll likely get to meet some Aussies there, too.

I had an Aussie -- a blind one I rescued at the shelter when he was about three months old. Fabulous dog. Plenty of energy but a nice off switch, too, and a great watch dog. Extremely affectionate -- he would leave his food to be petted, even if there were other dogs around. Very low maintenance coat. He could go out and get super muddy and once it dried, the mud miraculously disappeared and he was literally sparkling white (well, except for those gorgeous blue merle patches, lol). Brushing two or three times a week was all he ever needed. And SMART . . . .that was one brilliant dog.
We have our first full blooded Aussie,(my husband named him Aussie, of all things)! But everything you have described is so amazing about them! Its like they have an "auto clean" feature in their coats, and the smartness! At four months old he makes our dobes look stupid! I am really impressed with the breed.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:07 AM
Twin 2.0

The wash n' wear coats are fantastic...Sawyer just went and laid in a mud puddle the other day...I have yet to actually brush him and most of it's just flaked away. I need to brush out a few dredlocks on his belly and that's it!

I will never own a Sheltie, but will always have at least one Aussie running around.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
The wash n' wear coats are fantastic...Sawyer just went and laid in a mud puddle the other day...I have yet to actually brush him and most of it's just flaked away. I need to brush out a few dredlocks on his belly and that's it!

I will never own a Sheltie, but will always have at least one Aussie running around.
I will always have dobermans, but there will always be one Aussie running around here also!
Old 08-17-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah that's one of my main issues with shelties. I am SO spoiled by the papillons now. Shelties just need a lot more grooming. My dogs now can go outside and roll in the mud and be clean in an hour with zero work from me. My shelties would've needed a bath and a good brushing after that. I assumed Aussies and bcs would need more grooming though not as much as a sheltie. They do have undercoats so I'd think there'd be more brushing involved. You just can't beat a pap's coat. It's longhaired and pretty but it's a single coat and almost never mats.

I'm spoiled now. That's my main dread as far as one day getting a bc or aussie. Maybe I'll just stick to smooth bcs.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

I just love keely's coat..Never mats, even when she is in a show coat (which hasnt been for a while.. lol) and the dirt just dissapears.. Its rediculous.. Im a little spoiled as well..Im not even sure what im going to do when i get a sheddng dog that needs to be brushed! :S lol.. even though I cannot wait for my shepherd, thats one thing im not looking forward to.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Yeah that's one of my main issues with shelties. I am SO spoiled by the papillons now. Shelties just need a lot more grooming. My dogs now can go outside and roll in the mud and be clean in an hour with zero work from me. My shelties would've needed a bath and a good brushing after that. I assumed Aussies and bcs would need more grooming though not as much as a sheltie. They do have undercoats so I'd think there'd be more brushing involved. You just can't beat a pap's coat. It's longhaired and pretty but it's a single coat and almost never mats.

I'm spoiled now. That's my main dread as far as one day getting a bc or aussie. Maybe I'll just stick to smooth bcs.
I don't know about shelties or bc's, but an Aussie can go out and get dirty, and within notime they are just clean. The dobes don't even do that! I spritz Aussie with Ice on Ice and brush through maybe twice a week. He is surprisingly low maintaince.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:00 PM
EVIL SHELTIES!!!!

My shelties get spritzed with "the stuff" and brushed about 3 times a week. Ruckus has very very unruly butt hair and it will matt in no time.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Not So Proper

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymomma View Post
I just love keely's coat..Never mats, even when she is in a show coat (which hasnt been for a while.. lol) and the dirt just dissapears.. Its rediculous.. Im a little spoiled as well..Im not even sure what im going to do when i get a sheddng dog that needs to be brushed! :S lol.. even though I cannot wait for my shepherd, thats one thing im not looking forward to.
I'm spoiled too! It's so nice having the yorkies not shed, but they do get poop stuck to their butts every now and then so I have to keep them clipped down there. But we usually just shave them and they are good to go.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm currently in a little Aussie obsession right now. I have no idea what my life will be like after I finish school so I haven't decided on a breed, but it's fun to look. I might actually be interested in a rescue Aussie, but maybe younger (1-2 years). Does anyone know of any good rescues in Texas?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

I would look for breed specific rescue.. Because they would obviously, know all about the breed and be able to match the dog with your lifestyle.

South texas Aussie rescue

Aussie rescue texas