Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Active Pup

ok so I'm hearing: lab, poodle.

Thus perhaps labradoodle?

Again, thanks for all the suggestions and input!
Old 08-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Twin 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobesgalore View Post
A Husky or Malamute?
How would those fit ANY of his requirements, outside of a jogging partner?

They shed trashbags full of hair near round, tend to be very vocal dogs, aren't the greatest off-leash and tend to be pretty high energy.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:13 AM
Active Pup

Wow I didn't see the entire second page of replies.

As for age, I've trained a dog before but it was from a pup. I wasn't looking too closely at adopting an older dog because I didn't want to have to worry about all the previous owner's bad habits. Is this a valid concern?

I liked the idea of the sighthound (whippet) and I've spent some time around greyhounds and loved how affectionate they are. These are still on the list even though I'd have to be careful about letting it off leash (but like you say, you can't have everything...).
Old 08-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Twin 2.0

Greyhounds are pretty snazzy dogs and if you go through the local retired racer group, they can tell you which dogs are good with cats as well.

If you are looking for the Lab/poodle mixes, be forewarned that many of them do actually shed...and it's very hard to find a reputable breeder. There are plenty in shelters that shed a bit but are otherwise pretty sweet dogs; many are given up because people don't realize that FluffBall was going to have the energy of a sporting dog. Same reason many people give up their Labs...
Old 08-11-2009, 10:17 AM
Active Pup

Also, as for activity. I run (10k-ish) and play ultimate (frisbee) multiple times a week. A medium energy dog would be nice just in case the odd day I go for a walk with my family or take the kids to the park instead of running.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Active Pup

Shedding is falling off the list of my major concerns. If I spend a couple minutes brushing the dog every day how significantly will that reduce the amount of fur on the furniture?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Twin 2.0

Quite a bit, as will feeding a good diet. While Purina, Iams, Eukanuba and Science Diet have slick ad campaigns, they are actually full of crap. It'd be like feeding Twinkies and Lucky Charms to your dog every day. There are many good food suggestions scattered around The Dog Food forum, or you can go to The Dog Food Project - How does your Dog Food Brand compare? to learn how to read and compare dog food labels so you can make an educated choice.

Many, many people have had great success feeding a raw diet to their dogs, which drastically reduces shedding, improves the health of the dogs teeth and makes waste-clean up a snap. You do need to do a fair amount of research before switching to a raw diet, there are some ratios and things to adjust over time. It's not hard once you get into it.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Wookie Collie

Some great breed suggestions by folks on here. Just to add:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prock View Post
  • Plays fetch with a frisbee and tennis ball
  • Can let off the leash safely
  • Not going to kill the neighbor's cat
  • Not going to bark all day at the neighbor's cat
This is all stuff you will have to train. Some breeds are more prone to fetching, and training a retrieve command can take some time. Being safe offleash relies entirely on a 100% solid recall (dog comes back to whenever called) which is also trained, and can also take time.

The cat stuff is not so much a trained thing, as long as you have a breed with low prey drive, but even then, if a dog never sees a cat until adult life, sometimes they just don't get along with them. If you get the dog used to the cat slowly, then it will be less of a problem (take it from someone who's currently training her obsessive border collie to leave the cat alone).

Hope that helps!

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 08-11-2009, 10:39 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
How would those fit ANY of his requirements, outside of a jogging partner?

They shed trashbags full of hair near round, tend to be very vocal dogs, aren't the greatest off-leash and tend to be pretty high energy.
Gee, sooorrry!! Our neighbors husky dosn't bark anymore than any other dog. He jogs every morning, it lives in his house, he has a yound child, and he has a vaccum. I'm just trying to put out some ideas. Is that okay? Yes, poodles and Labs are great dogs, but there are other breeds to possibly consider as well. Its whatever the OP decides to get, he just asked for some breeds to consider.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I'm going to continue backing a poodle or a rescued poodle mix, but there is a valid point from dobes . . . if you look at rescue/shelter dogs its quite possible that you will find the perfect dog for you, and of a breed type no one would have thought of suiting you. Breed traits exist, but they are "average" for that breed, and of most use if you are buying a puppy from a good breeder. When you get into "second-hand" dogs, you may find all sorts of dogs that don't match the "typical" for their breed, but are exactly what you are looking for.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com