Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 08-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Not a lurker

Default Playing with photoshop?

So, I'm trying to get some yucky background out of a picture...this one actually...

So...see ugly background?

Now my pathetic attempt to edit it out without editing Lacey...

What am I doing wrong?! It looks funny around her feet.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Blow. Me. Away.

Nice job! It looks nice.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Top Dog

Disclaimer: I probably couldn't do much better but I might be able to flaw it, lol.
Alright letsee here.
First. No. 1. No shadow, it looks weird.
Second, I think you blurred the hind feet a little to get them to blend in? Add the shadow first, that might make them "blend." Where the foot touches the ground in reality is a small, really dark area and that is what bridges the foot to the earth.
Third, the kid leaves a a little bit of shadow on her back that shouldn't be there. Her whole hindquarters should be highlighted.
Also, the shadow caused by the leash needs to be edited out.

Honestly, it would be a whole lot easier to get it to take another photo than try and correct everything!

I'll see if I can figure out how to help it along with some tutorials when my show is finished.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Remembering Casey ♥

I'd keep the shadow.. to make it look a little more natural... Great job tho..
Old 08-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Top Dog

Alright so I'm working on it but what I think you need to do is keep the dog put and stick the background behind it instead of putting the dog in a new photo.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Not a lurker

Yeah I'd get a new photo, but it's not that easy, she's not exactly cooperative for it, lol.

Just tips would be fine really, I'm not very prolific with photoshop and I just used the clone tool to take out the stuff I didn't want i.e. my son in his boxers...lol
Old 08-08-2009, 10:26 PM
Top Dog

Alright if you want me to show you what I did just say. I used to have photoshop and am just getting back into it so it's good practice for me.

What version are you working with?
On the tool bar, above the paintbrush and below the eyedropper, does it have the bandaid & patch? Those are your best friends for this one.

Feet are always tricky (count your blessings she's not a horse lol) so if at all possible I recommend not cutting her out. If you end up doing that, cut out her shadow too. You might have to play around with the opacity and darkness if you want it to take up the new backdrop. Alternatively you could paint on a new shadow using the brush set to hard light (kind of a pain because you can't go over the same spot twice) or darker color.

Hopefully someone else chimes in cuz I probably know about 20% of photoshop features and know how about 3% of those to their full potential.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:52 PM
Not a lurker

I have Photoshop Elements 7.0...

My horse was easy to photoshop, because it had a decent background and the lead was easy to take out, lol...no cutting required.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

The problem is you're cloning from such a small area that your pattern is becoming too repetitive so it looks unnatural. And yeah, because you cloned out her shadow entirely, she looks like she's no longer grounded - she looks entirely cut out and pasted rather than like she actually belongs.

The first thing I would recommend doing is duplicate your background layer in photoshop. Open up your layers palette (window -> layers) and click "background layer," drag it down to the New Layer icon (second to the right). Now you should have Background Layer and Background Copy.
Then click the little eye next to the layer that says "background layer."
Make sure you've selected your background copy layer, and using a fairly soft brush and the eraser tool, I'd erase out from around her. Once you have her clean you should be able to work on the background behind her without screwing up the actual outline of the dog.
I would probably duplicate the background layer again instead of working directly on it for your actual background, too, just so you never mess up your original layer.

Then use a large, soft brush with your clone tool. Every now and then move where you are cloning from and cross back and forth a little to make sure your edges are blending and you aren't creating a really repetitive background.
Here's my go at it.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 08-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Not a lurker

Oh nice Beanie that came out much better than mine! Thanks for the tips! I'm a photoshop n00b!