Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 08-28-2005, 02:28 PM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

Default Questions about my bunny

If you own a rabbit or you have owned one in the past, please help me answer these questions.

Ok first, my bunny , Gus, licks my g=fingers, legs, or arm, what does it mean when she licks me?
Also she is not playing alot like she use to, when I open her cage she goes to a corner and ducks down. She hasn't done this in awhile, and I haven't hurt her or anyone else. What could be wrong? Could she be sick? Cause she's not drinking as much. How can you tell if a bunny is sick? Other than taking them to the vet?
Old 08-28-2005, 02:30 PM
Stare at my avatar....

Lol maybe she licks you cuz you taste good? Belly loves licking ppl. Anwyay, I heard that when rabbits hear loud noises they either freak out or get all quiet and scared but thats pretty much all I know about rabbits!

It's all fun and games until someone loses and eyeball...then it's PING PONG!!!

Dain bramaged
Old 08-28-2005, 02:32 PM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

Oh ok hahaha Thanks BLg
I don't know I need Saje or someone like her too answer. Thanks anyways BLG
Old 08-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Whitedobelover

the bunny licks you for affection... however if she isnt eating it could be due to summer... however drinking is a problem i would have looked at by a vet... i dont think it is anything serious but still i would have it checked.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:15 PM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

Ok thanks. i thought when she licked me she was showing affection but i wasn't sure. Ok I'll talk to someone about her not drinking. I mean she's drinking but not much, maybe b/c winter is on the way??? I don't know. Or she gets to full of eating hay.
Old 08-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Island dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah_2009
If you own a rabbit or you have owned one in the past, please help me answer these questions.

Ok first, my bunny , Gus, licks my g=fingers, legs, or arm, what does it mean when she licks me?
Also she is not playing alot like she use to, when I open her cage she goes to a corner and ducks down. She hasn't done this in awhile, and I haven't hurt her or anyone else. What could be wrong? Could she be sick? Cause she's not drinking as much. How can you tell if a bunny is sick? Other than taking them to the vet?
Well there are two thoughts about licking. Licking is sort of the strongest sign of affection and adoration you can get from your rabbit. BUT if she is licking you all the time she could just like the salt on your skin or something else. It's probably a combination. Are you feeding a well balanced diet?

Not drinking as much water is very serious. And if she's less active I'd take her to the vet. When bunnies get sick it's usually serious. Is she getting lots of hay? Has she lost any weight? When you feel her stomach does it feel normal or is it hard? Are her teeth too long. There are so many possibilies. Do you have a vet that is good with rabbits? Most aren't.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:01 PM
Island dweller

Sorry I just saw that she is eating hay. That's really weird that she's still eating hay and not drinking as much. You'd think she'd get thirsty. I'd definitely at least call the vet.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Manchesters

Aren't rabbits supposed to have salt licks? I tried calling Old Dog, who bred rabbits for many years, but they are out galivanting around somewhere, lol.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:29 PM
Island dweller

It's not mandatory Manchesters. they can have them. Mine did but they didn't use it. Their pellets have a good electrolyte balance and I always gave them apple branches or other things to chew on.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:33 PM
OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
Well there are two thoughts about licking. Licking is sort of the strongest sign of affection and adoration you can get from your rabbit. BUT if she is licking you all the time she could just like the salt on your skin or something else. It's probably a combination. Are you feeding a well balanced diet?

Not drinking as much water is very serious. And if she's less active I'd take her to the vet. When bunnies get sick it's usually serious. Is she getting lots of hay? Has she lost any weight? When you feel her stomach does it feel normal or is it hard? Are her teeth too long. There are so many possibilies. Do you have a vet that is good with rabbits? Most aren't.
Yes she gets a well balanced diet. She eats hay but not alot, she hasn't lost any weight, her stomach isn't hard its normal, her teeth aren't long, and there should be a vet good with bunnies around here somewhere.

Manchester oddly enough my rabbit DOES NOT like salt wheels. She is very picky! She only eats 1 kind of rabbit brand food, and she only eats 1 kind of hay brand food. She doesn't chew on anything but towelette paper rolls and hay, and she USE to chew on her cage bars but she quit doing that over the summer.

She doesn't lick me all the time just when she is happy.