Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-30-2005, 01:28 PM
bigdaddyTank's Avatar
bigdaddyTank bigdaddyTank is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Shawnee, KS
Posts: 81
Default

We do get lots of attention at Petsmart because most people around here dont see many Malamutes especially one his size, I get lots of people who will back away or pull there kids back because because of his looks and size. Once I assure them he is friendly and love's kids they will let there kids pet him. He is a very social dog and love's people.
I am always keep an eye on other people when we go to Petsmart, I see too many people that have there dog on a leash and dont control it. They let it run out the full length or dont pay attention to whats around them. I always pull Tank up short when we get around other dogs. As a general rule is fine with dog's as long as they show him respect, he is a male Malamute though and the entire alpha dog thing is very strong in him, but I control him. Any small dog's that jump at him or bark he generally will ignore or give a deep warning rumble like growl. I pull him another direction and all is good. The problem is that if any small dog were to get at him and he defended himself then it would be me at fault for not controling my BIG dog and he would be looked at as the agressor because in the eyes of people who dont know any better small dog's are so cute and anything cute could not have been the aggressor. If you have a small dog please dont take this the wrong way, its the people who dont know any better that I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-30-2005, 07:11 PM
621mum 621mum is offline
Big Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 136
Default

Hey, Lea! She is doing pretty well. She still is a little too "nippy" at times for my comfort (particularly around kids), but I'm working with her on it and will be starting training soon, so hopefully that will help too. Thanks for asking (and for the reassurance ) How is the little Poe?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-30-2005, 07:59 PM
poeluvr poeluvr is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,905
Default

hes great much more sociale
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-30-2005, 08:36 PM
Athebeau Athebeau is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 663
Default

For starters in defense of smaller breed dogs (my sister's clientel makes up about 60% small dogs)...the biggest reason why little dogs get an attitude about bigger dogs is that owners tend to panic when they see a big dog approaching...even another person, when that small dog is in the owners arms, or even put at the owners feet from being held in the owners arms...that little dog can become very defensive. If we carried our larger dogs around in our arms when we go out they would also not deal well with being approached.
The owners stress transmits to the small dog, who then becomes anxious herself. If you grab the dog every time antoher dog approaches which most owners of small dogs do...it will increase the small dogs stress and potential for a confrontation. Sometimes owners of small dogs try to dismiss this behavior by making a joke about it. I deal with it all the time, especially when a customer has a small dog in their arms and want you to take the dog from them...this is a no no...always allow the owner to pass the small dog to you or allow the dog to be placed on the ground without a big threatening dog around to increase it's nervousness and allow the small nervous dog to approach you. This is how we have handled it for years. There are just as many stupid people with large dogs as stupid people with small dogs...the biggest difference is, the larger dog is going to be more of a danger to society than the small dog. I can't count the number of times I have bathed a Rottweiler, APBT, Stafforshire Terrier, Dobe etc. that the owners never warned you the dogs had a tendancy to be aggressive...put them in the bathtub and I have had no warning of a potential bite..the last time I was almost bitten in the face by a Rottweiler the only warning the dog gave was stiffening up and dropping the head slightly...then the owner came to pick up and says "hey, you still have all your fingers left" great, just great...I muzzle all Rottweilers and most terriers now.

Little dog owners carry around their dogs due to the ability to do so. There are too many little dogs attacked and killed by large dogs to make little dog owners comfortable...in the past year we have had a few of our clients almost lose their little dogs to large dogs attacking the small dogs...the large dogs kept attacking even while the small dogs were in the owners arms. So, many small dog owners have reasons to be stressed when seeing a large dog approach. Plus any owner who says their dog is "Friendly" is one to be avoided. You never know how your dog is going to act in every situation.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-30-2005, 08:50 PM
oriondw oriondw is offline
user not active
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyTank
We do get lots of attention at Petsmart because most people around here dont see many Malamutes especially one his size, I get lots of people who will back away or pull there kids back because because of his looks and size. Once I assure them he is friendly and love's kids they will let there kids pet him. He is a very social dog and love's people.
I am always keep an eye on other people when we go to Petsmart, I see too many people that have there dog on a leash and dont control it. They let it run out the full length or dont pay attention to whats around them. I always pull Tank up short when we get around other dogs. As a general rule is fine with dog's as long as they show him respect, he is a male Malamute though and the entire alpha dog thing is very strong in him, but I control him. Any small dog's that jump at him or bark he generally will ignore or give a deep warning rumble like growl. I pull him another direction and all is good. The problem is that if any small dog were to get at him and he defended himself then it would be me at fault for not controling my BIG dog and he would be looked at as the agressor because in the eyes of people who dont know any better small dog's are so cute and anything cute could not have been the aggressor. If you have a small dog please dont take this the wrong way, its the people who dont know any better that I'm talking about.
Thats why I dont ever take my dog to places like petsmart

Waste of times, and nerve cells in brain tend not to heal very well

Worst thing possible is if we met a big dominant dog in there... There would be a huge fight and the other dog would get hurt =\

Its hard having alpha dogs
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-30-2005, 08:54 PM
oriondw oriondw is offline
user not active
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athebeau
Plus any owner who says their dog is "Friendly" is one to be avoided. You never know how your dog is going to act in every situation.
Tell me about it... I have had very similar experiences.

I ask if the dog is friendly and ok with dominant males, they say, yeah he's great with them. Next thing I know, my dog is pinning the other one down because it tried to mount him...

One of the many reasons I avoid other dog owners. Luckily my dog does like small dogs, as he see's 0 threat from them.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-31-2005, 01:20 PM
bigdaddyTank's Avatar
bigdaddyTank bigdaddyTank is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Shawnee, KS
Posts: 81
Default

When I say hes friendly I'm talking about people that dont have dog's, if they have a dog with them I ask them if there dog is friendly with there owner petting another dog, that usually makes them stop and move along. If I tell someone he is friendly then its always after I have looked at them and the way they are acting. All it takes is a little common sense and being aware of your dog. I am always there and watching while they pet him also. My dog is a very social animal, he likes to get out and ride in the truck and go to places to meet people, I'm not going to keep him inside because I'm afraid of everyone else and what they may do or how they react becausee I Know my dog and how he is going to handle things. If a dog has been kept away from people and not socialized then the owner is the only one to blame if the dog is put in a situation and reacts badly.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-31-2005, 01:43 PM
oriondw oriondw is offline
user not active
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyTank
When I say hes friendly I'm talking about people that dont have dog's, if they have a dog with them I ask them if there dog is friendly with there owner petting another dog, that usually makes them stop and move along. If I tell someone he is friendly then its always after I have looked at them and the way they are acting. All it takes is a little common sense and being aware of your dog. I am always there and watching while they pet him also. My dog is a very social animal, he likes to get out and ride in the truck and go to places to meet people, I'm not going to keep him inside because I'm afraid of everyone else and what they may do or how they react becausee I Know my dog and how he is going to handle things. If a dog has been kept away from people and not socialized then the owner is the only one to blame if the dog is put in a situation and reacts badly.
Not sure how to take this. Are you agreeing with me or putting me down as a bad owner?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-31-2005, 01:53 PM
bigdaddyTank's Avatar
bigdaddyTank bigdaddyTank is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Shawnee, KS
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oriondw
Not sure how to take this. Are you agreeing with me or putting me down as a bad owner?
I apologize for sounding that way, I am not saying you are a bad owner owner at all. I was worried that I gave the impression I was one of those "big dog" owners that looks down on everyone and puts the dog and other people in situtations that could be dangerous because they have no clue about their dog and how to handle it in all situations.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-31-2005, 02:07 PM
oriondw oriondw is offline
user not active
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyTank
I was worried that I gave the impression I was one of those "big dog" owners that looks down on everyone and puts the dog and other people in situtations that could be dangerous because they have no clue about their dog and how to handle it in all situations.

Nah. Didnt even think about that when reading your posts
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site